+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Approval after deferring your admission

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
From what I understand from the experts in this forum and from the IRCC is that study permit approval and passport visa stamping are two different things. While study permit approval is purely internal and it is a permit given for you study in Canada for the duration of the course, the visa in the passport stamped is not part of the study permit. As you might be aware, the study permit will only be given to you by the BORDER OFFICERS in Canada, when you land at the airport. In principle, they will decide whether or not you should enter Canada. I read somewhere in this forum that someone deferred their program but the study permit was approved already. In this case, IRCC replied in a webform saying that the student can travel with the visa with the passport, but they should show their new or LOA deferred for that session to the border officers. When the border officer get to see this new LOA, the study permit will be issued for the new LOA or for the deferred program. So, we are only send the passport to get the VISA to travel to Canada, and the purpose of the travel will be only dealt at the airport. I hope you guys make a difference out of it. The study permit is not VISA, but you need a VISA to get you to travel to Canada.

CaptJankSpoiler

Jan 17, 2021
Hi, I am also in the same situation, I applied for winter 21 intake and recently on 12th january my eligibility has started, but I am going to defer my admission on 20th December. I want to know, what happens between this period? Like If I deferred my admission to Fall 21 and Visa officer check my current Winter 21 intake admission?

Harry273

Dec 1, 2020
Hi, I am also in the same situation, I applied for winter 21 intake and recently on 12th january my eligibility has started, but I am going to defer my admission on 20th December. I want to know, what happens between this period? Like If I deferred my admission to Fall 21 and Visa officer check my current Winter 21 intake admission?
Your timeline and country?

j8naid

Jun 25, 2020
From what I understand from the experts in this forum and from the IRCC is that study permit approval and passport visa stamping are two different things. While study permit approval is purely internal and it is a permit given for you study in Canada for the duration of the course, the visa in the passport stamped is not part of the study permit. As you might be aware, the study permit will only be given to you by the BORDER OFFICERS in Canada, when you land at the airport. In principle, they will decide whether or not you should enter Canada. I read somewhere in this forum that someone deferred their program but the study permit was approved already. In this case, IRCC replied in a webform saying that the student can travel with the visa with the passport, but they should show their new or LOA deferred for that session to the border officers. When the border officer get to see this new LOA, the study permit will be issued for the new LOA or for the deferred program. So, we are only send the passport to get the VISA to travel to Canada, and the purpose of the travel will be only dealt at the airport. I hope you guys make a difference out of it. The study permit is not VISA, but you need a VISA to get you to travel to Canada.
Yes, well said, that is right.

Reactions: Naresh_PlantSci

Hiilwis

Jan 11, 2021
I had applied for a program at York University the duration of which is for about 8 months (Jan 11 to Aug 11)
and had applied for study permit by Nov 6th and I am currently awaiting a PPR.
But now I'm withdrawing from this program and have applied for a different 2 year Msc program that starts in September at a different University.
My question is, as I am still awaiting PPR... how should I proceed further with IRCC?
Would I have to cancel my Application and start a new one?
or just send them the new Letter of Acceptance from the new University and maybe a new Letter of Explanation (as it is a different program)?
What if I do get a PPR BEFORE I get an offer letter?
Is it okay to get it stamped and then make changes?

Im very confused and Im not sure who to ask or how to proceed.

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
I had applied for a program at York University the duration of which is for about 8 months (Jan 11 to Aug 11)
But now I'm withdrawing from this program and have applied for a different 2 year Msc program that starts in September at a different University.
My question is, as I am still awaiting PPR... how should I proceed further with IRCC?
or just send them the new Letter of Acceptance from the new University and maybe a new Letter of Explanation (as it is a different program)?

I think your case might follow the below explanation. But, still you can check with others.

ninipopo

Jan 18, 2021

all you can do is raise a webform about your loa and if stamped date on your student visa is as per old program, then at POE show your new offer letter. Officer might give you study permit as per the TRV's date but later you can apply for the extension of study permit

Tarora

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
Same happened with me i deferred my course and got ppr today... please tell me what are the options i have now because you guys must find out something in these many days...

cilin

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019

I have a question, do we need to inform IRCC thought webform when we get a new LOA? or we just take new LOA and visa to Canada border and explain to them we already defer our intake due to late study permit approval.

Reactions: coolcham