+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Appointment or drop box for H4 renewal with expired PR card

shevas2003

Star Member
Feb 24, 2022
Hi All,
I need to urgently get my H4 visa stamped. I have submitted the DS160 & paid the $190 fees and the earliest appointment in Ottawa in May 31st, 2023. I reside in US, am a Canadian PR but my PR card expired in 2009. I have driven to Canda before for H4 renewal with no issues as the reason for my absence in Canada is die to the fact that I’m accompanying my Canadian citizen spouse. During this trip to Canada, I plan to apply to extend my PR as well.
I filled in that I’m a Canadian Permanent Resident while paying fees but it still tells me to schedule an appointment. Is there a time I should check for appointments when they release slots? Or can I request for a drop box? Only issue is my PR card has expired

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All,
I filled in that I’m a Canadian Permanent Resident while paying fees but it still tells me to schedule an appointment. Is there a time I should check for appointments when they release slots? Or can I request for a drop box? Only issue is my PR card has expired
Keep checking regularly, random dates keep opening up at different locations. No particular time to check but appointments keep cancelling or people do reschedules and closer dates open up. The system would decide whether you are eligible for dropbox or not. Unfortunately, we do not have option to chose.

Also do check for Calgary, Vancouver. toronto and ottawa dates are really too far.

Last edited:

shevas2003

Star Member
Feb 24, 2022
Keep checking regularly, random dates keep opening up at different locations. No particular time to check but appointments keep cancelling or people do reschedules and closer dates open up. The system would decide whether you are eligible for dropbox or not. Unfortunately, we do not have option to chose.

Also do check for Calgary, Vancouver. toronto and ottawa dates are really too far.
Thanks, I have been checking and will continue to do so. Can I request for an expedited H4 stamping appointment? My employer will provide me with a letter and I work for a non-profit healthcare organization

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks, I have been checking and will continue to do so. Can I request for an expedited H4 stamping appointment? My employer will provide me with a letter and I work for a non-profit healthcare organization
I am really not sure about H4 expedited appointments but they have considered few H1 expedited appointments to assign an early slot. Give it sometime once you have booked your appointment like atleast a month to request for expedite. We have requested for expedite within 2 days of booking appointment and they rejected it. So as per the experiences in this group also, you give it sometime for a month or two if possible and then request expedite. Meanwhile if you get early slots you are good and needn't wait that long.

shevas2003

Star Member
Feb 24, 2022
I am really not sure about H4 expedited appointments but they have considered few H1 expedited appointments to assign an early slot. Give it sometime once you have booked your appointment like atleast a month to request for expedite. We have requested for expedite within 2 days of booking appointment and they rejected it. So as per the experiences in this group also, you give it sometime for a month or two if possible and then request expedite. Meanwhile if you get early slots you are good and needn't wait that long.
That makes sense, I’ll give it a month and keep checking. If not, I’ll try to request an expedited appointment as I really want to visit my parents in India during the summer since I haven’t been in the last 2.5 years. Unfortunately no appointments are available in India and my H4 stamp in the passport expires in April.