+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa application online or by mail?

cdv_kwr

Apr 16, 2012
I am an Indian Citizen living in Chicago. I'm on an F1 visa. I like to go on road trips and being in Chicago, the options up north are pretty good. I'd like to have the ability to go to Canada at my convenience and need to know what kind of visa would be the best. What are the chances that I can get it? And most importantly, can I get my visa while being in Chicago, by applying online or via mail? I don't want to have to go to Buffalo to get my visa, but I'm not sure if/when they ask for an interview. I'm in no urgent need of the visa, I have no plans either, but I would like to have it so that I don't have to restrict all my future trips to the US territory. This also constrains the options of all my friends when they're taking the trip with me, even though they don't need a visa. It's quite annoying!

moluminku

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
cdv_kwr said:
I am an Indian Citizen living in Chicago. I'm on an F1 visa. I like to go on road trips and being in Chicago, the options up north are pretty good. I'd like to have the ability to go to Canada at my convenience and need to know what kind of visa would be the best. What are the chances that I can get it? And most importantly, can I get my visa while being in Chicago, by applying online or via mail? I don't want to have to go to Buffalo to get my visa, but I'm not sure if/when they ask for an interview. I'm in no urgent need of the visa, I have no plans either, but I would like to have it so that I don't have to restrict all my future trips to the US territory. This also constrains the options of all my friends when they're taking the trip with me, even though they don't need a visa. It's quite annoying!
Becoz Canada is not tourist friendly country.Least chances to get visa.

mmadsen55

Jul 11, 2011
You could try the Detroit office, and you can apply in person for a visitor VISA. Below is the Link.

www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/

Go through the application on the same web site and if you have all the documentation they require, go in person to the Detroit office as soon as it opens. They will take your information and analyze and if all is in order, you will have an answer in the afternoon.

mmadsen55

Jul 11, 2011
So your only question is whether to apply on-line or via mail?

In another section on that link there is a section for "apply on line"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/index.asp

Seems to me that you can only use the on-line system from outside Canada (ie Chicago) for a study permit. Applying for a mulitple entry vistor visa is either in person or by mail.

You are free to do whatever you want, but you should read the other threads about processing time when you consider in person versus by mail, with the undestanding that you have to send your passport and will not have access to it for at least 30 days. If something comes up and you need it, it is pain in the butt to try and get it back while your application is still in process.

As far as your chances to get a multiple entry visa, one of the sections on the application form is for providing details on your intended travel plans (dates, Hotel reservation, people you are going to visit), to show your intentions. If you leave it blank, it would not look good.

I would recommend planning a quick trip (at least a few months out to give time for visa processing by mail if that is what you wish) and asking for a multiple entry visa, so the next time you get the spontaneous urge for road trip, you can have it already.

cdv_kwr

Apr 16, 2012
Thanks, that is helpful information.

My question intended to ask if I can avoid going in person by applying online/mail. I don't really need my passport unless I'm leaving the country, so I think mail would be a decent option for me.

Could you direct me to a page that talks about the specific type of multiple entry visa that would be applicable for me? And, what is the typical duration for which such visas are granted.