+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa application for family

Emreeee

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Hi guys! I had applied study permit only for myself and recently my visa was approved. Now I want to take my family with me during my study. My study starts in May. Should I apply visa for my family now or once I am in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do they have visitor visas? If so they need authorization to travel. If not, Up to you if you want to apply for their visas now or when you get to Canada.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021
If you wish to take them with you get a family reunification letter from IRCC
Would this be applicable only if the student visa holder is already in Canada and their family wishes to reunite with them? I already have a student visa, my studies start in May and I have not yet traveled to Canada. I applied for my family’s visit visas in mid-February (biometrics done) but until now there has been no activity on the account. I considered sending an email to IRCC as they have instructed in the webpage linked below, but I hesitated doing so fearing that it could have some negative implications. I assume that IRCC’s definition of ‘reunification’ would mean that I would have to be in Canada before my family can apply for the reunification letter. Would like to know what you guys think of my assumption. Thanks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Don't we need attach the study permit with the application for the spouse and children? and study permit we can only get when we land in Canada. Without study permit, how would the application get processed?

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Would this be applicable only if the student visa holder is already in Canada and their family wishes to reunite with them? I already have a student visa, my studies start in May and I have not yet traveled to Canada. I applied for my family’s visit visas in mid-February (biometrics done) but until now there has been no activity on the account. I considered sending an email to IRCC as they have instructed in the webpage linked below, but I hesitated doing so fearing that it could have some negative implications. I assume that IRCC’s definition of ‘reunification’ would mean that I would have to be in Canada before my family can apply for the reunification letter. Would like to know what you guys think of my assumption. Thanks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing
No, my wife will be coming with me to Canada so instructions stated that I fill out the webform (choose eTa and case specific enquiries) requesting she be allowed to travel, and they approved within 48hours by email. However, OPs situation may be different requiring visitor visas, my wife only requires eTA for travel. More info here...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#temporary

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
so we can apply for a spouse before leaving for Canada? and the spouse can travel with the applicant? I am really confused now

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Yes in my case, but she does not need a visitor visa just the eTA for travel (which she already has). IRCC not in process of splitting immediate family members, so there is no point of her coming later when she can travel at the same time. It is still processed under "Authorization for Exemption from Canadian Travel Restrictions for the Purpose of Family Reunification"

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Yes in my case, but she does not need a visitor visa just the eTA for travel (which she already has). IRCC not in process of splitting immediate family members, so there is no point of her coming later when she can travel at the same time. It is still processed under "Authorization for Exemption from Canadian Travel Restrictions for the Purpose of Family Reunification"
eTA means you are not from the 3rd world country like us, we need either TRV or SOWP for the spouse to travel.

Bravesm

Mar 23, 2021
If you wish to take them with you get a family reunification letter from IRCC
When and how is family reunification letter is issued ? For this letter you do not need any visa (Visitor of SOWP) - is that what you mean ?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
so we can apply for a spouse before leaving for Canada? and the spouse can travel with the applicant? I am really confused now
Yes, you can, although IRCC states that you must apply together when you apply for your SP. If you've already applied for your SP, you can wait for your approval, and then apply for them. For TRV applications, you'll need to still request travel Authorisation for them if visa is granted because it's non-discretionary travel. If they applied for SP, then they won't need the authorisation separately.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Yes, you can, although IRCC states that you must apply together when you apply for your SP. If you've already applied for your SP, you can wait for your approval, and then apply for them. For TRV applications, you'll need to still request travel Authorisation for them if visa is granted because it's non-discretionary travel. If they applied for SP, then they won't need the authorisation separately.
What if someone marries after SP is approved? and wants to take the spouse along?