Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
david1697 said:
The job of admitting officer (CBSA) to make sure that at the moment person is being admitted for Landing no material changes exist that would bar approval of the application
Yes so basically any reason a CIC visa officer could think to reject an app, a CBSA could deny a landing for the same reason.

there are obvious questions about sponsored spouse who shows up with COPR to land while his wife intends to stay in US for unknown length of time.
If the newly landed PR returns to USA to stay with their spouse, they are not in violation of any PR rules, and could logically move to Canada anytime within the next 2.9 years. So you still can't explain why you think for some classes of PR apps CIC couldn't possibly apply a "logical contradiction", yet in family class apps this exact situation exists.

If there's one thing learned from going through hundreds of cases of various kinds of PR apps, it's that CIC and CBSA do not always follow what's specifically written in their operation manuals, often go by their own interpretation of rules, and also have often made decisions completely contrary to what the rules state and flat out done in error. Even if they demand info that is not relevant to a particular application (which happens many times) you still need to comply with them. That is why the appeals process exists, and why many times CIC/CBSA officer's decision are overturned. However just going through appeals on it's own, even if you win in the end, is considered a loss due to the cost, time and hassle of it.

It's a well established and known fact that for certain classes of PR apps you need to prove intent to move to Canada within a reasonable time. No manual out there will show what the definition of "reasonable" is as it's entirely up to the officer. If a CBSA officer decides this rule also applies to other classes of apps, and say he thinks for example 1 year is too long, then anyone could find themselves in the same situation as the case I posted.

You don't need to lie to CBSA. Just don't mention your plans to not move yet to Canada permanently. Or if asked specifically, say you will just be staying in home country long enough to settle affairs and prepare the move. None of that is lying, and nothing could possibly come back to hurt anyone even if they then decide to stay 2.9 years.

Anyone who thinks CBSA or CIC officers always go strictly by the book and could never possibly apply rules across PR classes on in any other way than what you think, is naive to the whole process or just hasn't reviewed enough actual cases. Long story short, don't be offering up information such as this to CBSA if you aren't asked.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Yes so basically any reason a CIC visa officer could think to reject an app, a CBSA could deny a landing for the same reason.
I will not discuss under what grounds CIC can deny any immigration app (you make it too broad a subject to discuss) , but speaking specifically about immigrant with approved COPR who plans to land, CBSA can cancel landing ONLY if there are material changes that would bar application from being approved if discovered by CIC when application was adjudicated or if there are inadmissibility issues barring one from being admitted to Canada.
CBSA officer may not deny landing because, for example, he looks at you and doesn't like the way you look.
If he does and his decision is clearly arbitrary and you have a proof that it was arbitrary then it would not hold if challenged legally.

If the newly landed PR returns to USA to stay with their spouse, they are not in violation of any PR rules, and could logically move to Canada anytime within the next 2.9 years. So you still can't explain why you think for some classes of PR apps CIC couldn't possibly apply a "logical contradiction", yet in family class apps this exact situation exists.
If Canadian PR returns to US to Canadian Citizen spouse, they can stay in US until the day they die and they will still retain Canadian PR, provided they stay in US accompanying their Canadian Citizen spouse. So, 2/5 rule doesn't even apply to Canadian PR who accompanies Canadian Citizen abroad.
I even emphasized it in bold in my earlier reply, you obviously missed it.
Also, you keep bringing a case of family sponsorship by Canadian citizen of an alien spouse. You still didn't recognize the fact that it's a different class of admission from FSW, and there are different set of requirements applicable. I touched it in my previous posts, and will not repeat and won't discuss it further.
It's irrelevant to OP because he is not sponsored as spouse of Canadian citizen. No need to go on circles bringing it up.

If there's one thing learned from going through hundreds of cases of various kinds of PR apps, it's that CIC and CBSA do not always follow what's specifically written in their operation manuals, often go by their own interpretation of rules, and also have often made decisions completely contrary to what the rules state and flat out done in error.
Go to Immigration Law websites, many articles posted link to cases they litigate or to cases that become precedents and are looked at as a reference in future.
Of course, there are instances where CIC makes mistakes an misinterprets rules. If that wasn't case why would we even have appeals and courts?
What matters is: what statutory basis one has to execute one or another action, regardless of who one is, immigrant or CBSA officer.
Much of course depends on will and resources of either party to litigate.
But ultimately, no one can willfully break the laws with total impunity, and that includes immigrants as well as CBSA officers.

Even if they demand info that is not relevant to a particular application (which happens many times) you still need to comply with them. That is why the appeals process exists, and why many times CIC/CBSA officer's decision are overturned. However just going through appeals on it's own, even if you win in the end, is considered a loss due to the cost, time and hassle of it.
I don't think it's possible to force anyone to divulge information they are not willing to share. But, depending on what the authority to ask question is , what relevance information sought has and what effect the response would have, one could potentially be refused landing or admission for not complying with a request for specific information (for instance, if CBSA asks you whether you are the person who is mentioned in COPR and asks for your passport and you keep silent, refusing to provide a document needed to process you, then you are in effect refusing to confirm your identity, and this may make you inadmissible, because until your identity is confirmed with certainty CBSA officer doesn't know who you are and whether you are entitled to admission and etc.).

As to going to appeals etc. , I never said you should make it a purpose of your life to end up litigating a case against CBSA officer. But I said given a choice of one or another it's better to clear your case in appeals/court than to lie to CBSA officer and end up with guaranteed loss and , potentially, charges of lying to federal authorities.

It's a well established and known fact that for certain classes of PR apps you need to prove intent to move to Canada within a reasonable time. No manual out there will show what the definition of "reasonable" is as it's entirely up to the officer. If a CBSA officer decides this rule also applies to other classes of apps, and say he thinks for example 1 year is too long, then anyone could find themselves in the same situation as the case I posted.

You don't need to lie to CBSA. Just don't mention your plans to not move yet to Canada permanently. Or if asked specifically, say you will just be staying in home country long enough to settle affairs and prepare the move. None of that is lying, and nothing could possibly come back to hurt anyone even if they then decide to stay 2.9 years.

Anyone who thinks CBSA or CIC officers always go strictly by the book and could never possibly apply rules across PR classes on in any other way than what you think, is naive to the whole process or just hasn't reviewed enough actual cases.
Read carefully what I write. At times you are arguing with yourself , because you refer to things that weren't part of my response.

I said earlier I would conclude this debate with you, but added few more replies for more clarifications.

This time I end this debate with you for good.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
david1697 said:
I will not discuss under what grounds CIC can deny any immigration app (you make it too broad a subject) , but speaking specifically about immigrant with approved COPR who plans to land, CBSA can cancel landing ONLY if there are material changes that would bar application from being approved if discovered by CIC when application was adjudicated or if there are inadmissibility issues barring one from being admitted to Canada.
CBSA officer may not deny landing because they you look at you and don't like the way you look.
If he does and his decision is clearly arbitrary and you have a proof that it was arbitrary then it would not hold if challenged legally.
I don't think you understand yourself the various grounds on which CBSA can deny an application. If a requirement of a PR app was that the applicant intend to settle in Canada in a reasonable time, and the CBSA officer decided they were not going to abide by that rule, they could overturn the COPR. The only question is if a CBSA officer decides to apply this intent to settle criteria on a FSW app.

If Canadian PR returns to US to Canadian Citizen spouse, they can stay in US until the day they die and they will still retain Canadian PR, provided they stay in US with their Canadian Citizen spouse. So, 2/5 rule doesn't even apply to Canadian PR who accompanies Canadian Citizen abroad.
I even emphasized it in bold in my earlier reply, you obviously missed it.
Also, you keep bringing a case of family sponsorship by Canadian citizen of a spouse, You still didn't recognize the fact that it's a different class of admission from FSW, and there are different set of requirements applicable. I touched it in my previous posts, and will not repeat and won't discuss it further.
It's irrelevant to OP because he is not sponsored as spouse of Canadian Citizen. No need to go on circles bringing it up.
You are completely missing my point.
If the PR can legally stay with their spouse forever outside Canada, then why does CIC demand they show proof to settle in Canada in a reasonable time???. This is the "logical contradiction" you brought up that you readily accept for FSW apps, but can't explain for family class apps.
By the same logic even though some other class of apps can legally stay outside Canada up to 3 years, CIC could still demand to see intent to settle quicker than that.

Of course, there are instances where CIC makes mistakes an misinterprets rules.
Yes and as such I would not put it past a CBSA officer to always enforce the "intent to settle" criteria that is not explained very well in their operating manuals, in the ways it's supposed to. So would not be surprised that even if you think this only applies to family class, any CBSA officer could apply it to another class at a PR landing. Which is why it's best to avoid the situation if possible.

I don't think it's possible to force anyone to divulge information they are not willing to share. But, depending on what the authority to ask question is , what relevance information sought has and what effect the response would have, one could potentially be refused landing or admission for not complying with a request for specific information (for instance, if CBSA asks you whether you are the person who is mentioned in COPR and asks for your passport and you keep silent, refusing to provide a document needed to process you, then you are in effect refusing to confirm your identity, and this may make you inadmissible, because until your identity is confirmed with certainty CBSA officer doesn't know who you are and whether you are entitled to admission and etc.).
A question asked on intent, is completely different from a request to produce a document on the spot. Not even comparable. Since intent can change at a moments notice. It's not lying to be vague on a response or to truly not know a specific timeframe to answer with.

As to going to appeals etc. , I never said you should make it a purpose of your life to end up litigating a case against CBSA officer. But I said given a choice of one or another it's better to clear your case in appeals/court than to lie to CBSA officer and end up with guaranteed loss and , potentially, charges of lying to federal authorities.
Again, questions on intent like this specific example would not be lying if you kept vague/non-committal on the response. As mentioned your intent can change the next day.

IN general I think you're pretty naive on the whole immigration process here. You seem emphatic that if something is not explicitly read in the manuals you can find, it will never apply to any PR applicant. Even though in a family class app the intent rule for applicants is never explicitly explained, yet it is very often enforced by CIC and/or CBSA officers as seen in tons of cases on this site. And for this reason i'm not convinced when you say it could never apply to a FSW application either. The 3 year rule for RO is intended to allow PRs to account for changes in circumstance, not to give them a 3 year window to move to Canada while going through the application process. But that is a difference of opinion that will not be resolved here.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
I don't think you understand yourself the various grounds on which CBSA can deny an application. If a requirement of a PR app was that the applicant intend to settle in Canada in a reasonable time, and the CBSA officer decided they were not going to abide by that rule, they could overturn the COPR. The only question is if a CBSA officer decides to apply this intent to settle criteria on a FSW app.

You are completely missing my point.
If the PR can legally stay with their spouse forever outside Canada, then why does CIC demand they show proof to settle in Canada in a reasonable time???. This is the "logical contradiction" you brought up that you readily accept for FSW apps, but can't explain for family class apps.
By the same logic even though some other class of apps can legally stay outside Canada up to 3 years, CIC could still demand to see intent to settle quicker than that.

Yes and as such I would not put it past a CBSA officer to always enforce the "intent to settle" criteria that is not explained very well in their operating manuals, in the ways it's supposed to. So would not be surprised that even if you think this only applies to family class, any CBSA officer could apply it to another class at a PR landing. Which is why it's best to avoid the situation if possible.

A question asked on intent, is completely different from a request to produce a document on the spot. Not even comparable. Since intent can change at a moments notice. It's not lying to be vague on a response or to truly not know a specific timeframe to answer with.

Again, questions on intent like this specific example would not be lying if you kept vague/non-committal on the response. As mentioned your intent can change the next day.

IN general I think you're pretty naive on the whole immigration process here. You seem emphatic that if something is not explicitly read in the manuals you can find, it will never apply to any PR applicant. Even though in a family class app the intent rule for applicants is never explicitly explained, yet it is very often enforced by CIC and/or CBSA officers as seen in tons of cases on this site. And for this reason i'm not convinced when you say it could never apply to a FSW application either. The 3 year rule for RO is intended to allow PRs to account for changes in circumstance, not to give them a 3 year window to move to Canada while going through the application process. But that is a difference of opinion that will not be resolved here.
Have a good day and Happy New Year!

P.S. In case you ever find a link to CIC law/case law/regulation/act that mentions approved COPR of FSW immigrant can be torn into pieces by CBSA upon landing because immigrant plans to go back and wrap things up within a year before permanently returning to Canada, please post it so your claims would be substantiated, rather than remain speculative.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
david1697 said:
Have a good day and Happy New Year!

P.S. In case you ever find a link to CIC law/case law/regulation/act that mentions approved COPR of FSW immigrant can be torn into pieces by CBSA upon landing because immigrant plans to go back and wrap things up within a year before permanently returning to Canada, please post it so your claims would be substantiated, rather than remain speculative.
There is no such rule written for family class applicants either, yet it has happened.

Also as I said "within a year" or up to 2.99 years, wouldn't make a difference as it's at discretion of officer.

If you keep thinking CBSA and CIC officers strictly go only by the rules you can personally find published and nothing else, and there is no possibility a CBSA officer could apply rules of one PR class (in which there are known cases) to other classes, I don't know what else to say except that you are not speaking based on what happens in reality.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
There is no such rule written for family class applicants either, yet it has happened.

Also as I said "within a year" or up to 2.99 years, wouldn't make a difference as it's at discretion of officer.

If you keep thinking CBSA and CIC officers strictly go only by the rules you can personally find published and nothing else, I don't know what else to say except that you are not speaking based on what happens in reality.
Family class apps are irrelevant to OP and thus it doesn't matter what happened to someone who tried to land as one.

The day I landed as FSW PR I told CBSA I was going to leave Canada right after landing and don't know exactly when I will return again.
Needless to say, I have landed in Canada. I didn't lie to CBSA. Nor was my COPR torn into pieces.

When you find a CIC law/case law/regulation/act that mentions approved COPR of FSW immigrant can be torn into pieces by CBSA upon landing because immigrant plans to go back and wrap things up within a year before permanently returning to Canada, please post it so your claims would be substantiated, rather than remain speculative.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
david1697 said:
The day I landed as FSW PR I told CBSA I was going to leave Canada right after landing and don't know exactly when I will return again.
Needless to say, I have landed in Canada. I didn't lie to CBSA. Nor was my COPR torn into pieces.

When you find a CIC law/case law/regulation/act that mentions approved COPR of FSW immigrant can be torn into pieces by CBSA upon landing because immigrant plans to go back and wrap things up within a year before permanently returning to Canada, please post it so your claims would be substantiated, rather than remain speculative.
Again as i've said multiple times, it's solely at discretion of the CBSA officer.

Many PRs not meeting RO have also had no problems entering back into Canada without being reported, yet that doesn't mean it's fine for everyone to do. Saying it didn't happen in 1 case so it will never happen, is pretty naive.

Even in family class landings, what happened to the person in the case i showed, is not reflective of what usually happens. More often than not a CBSA officer would not enforce this rule, yet in this case he did. And if 1 CBSA officer did it, another could potentially as well. So just need to be cautious what info you decide to volunteer.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Again as i've said multiple times, it's solely at discretion of the CBSA officer.

Many PRs not meeting RO have also had no problems entering back into Canada without being reported, yet that doesn't mean it's fine for everyone to do. Saying it didn't happen in 1 case so it will never happen, is pretty naive.

Even in family class landings, what happened to the person in the case i showed, is not reflective of what usually happens. More often than not a CBSA officer would not enforce this rule, yet in this case he did. And if 1 CBSA officer did it, another could potentially as well. So just need to be cautious what info you decide to volunteer.
Discretion of CBSA officer is not limitless and can't be capricious and arbitrary.
Also, discretion not to enforce existing law (prosecutorial discretion) is not the same as inventing and enforcing non-existent law and regulation.
Most officers of law can do former, none has authority to do latter.
You are speculating about effects of non-existing regulation and use an irrelevant to OP's question hearsay case to back up an unfounded assumption, basically your invention.
That's your opinion and I am not going to debate it with you.

But I will warn OP and others who may read this thread to not mislead or lie to CBSA, or be prepared to face consequences.

DanMac

Jun 18, 2014
Well, I'm glad that was simple enough to resolve!

I have no intention of lying or misleading anyone - and would advise anyone else in this position to do nothing other than tell the truth about their intentions.
As pointed out in this argument - if you have no intention of moving to Canada then why would you even apply!

The argument that has arisen from my original post has little relevance to my questions anyway, arguing over hypothetical scenarios is somewhat pointless and shows there is a distinct lack of understanding of the Canadian immigration system due to their complete lack of easily available and understandable information.

I'm greateful for the answers I have obtained from this but please consider that, "He said, she said, if's, but's and maybe's" are not answers and are of no help to anyone and do nothing but confuse matters further for a person already struggling to understand the bare facts.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DanMac,

You are absolutely right when you state that unfounded speculations only add to confusion and do not help anyone who struggles to understand the basic facts. My apologies for the discussion of the thread veering way off what was relevant to question you originally asked.
Glad you found resolution for the question you had.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DanMac said:
As pointed out in this argument - if you have no intention of moving to Canada then why would you even apply!
There are no shortage of people who don't have intention of moving to Canada, yet they applied for Canadian PR.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/retaining-pr-status-living-outside-canada-t262256.0.html

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
There are no shortage of people who don't have intention of moving to Canada, yet they applied for Canadian PR.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/retaining-pr-status-living-outside-canada-t262256.0.html
The link to other post you placed above has no relevance to OP, his circumstances and the question he asked.

Like poster earlier did, anyone can post any number of links to any number of circumstances, hearsays and cases irrelevant to what OP tries to understand or asks about in his specific circumstances, and all that is being accomplished is adding to confusion and giving an erroneous, even dangerously misleading, advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
david1697 said:
The link to other post you posted has no relevance to OP and the question he asked.

Like poster earlier, anyone can post any number of links to any number of circumstances, hearsays and cases irrelevant to what Op tries to understand in his specific circumstances, and all that is being accomplished is adding to confusion and giving an erroneous advise.
The post you just posted has no relevance to the OP to what he pointed out in this argument - if you have no intention of moving to Canada then why would you even apply! - which is the fact that there are no shortage of people who don't have intention of moving to Canada, yet they applied for Canadian PR.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
The post you just posted has no relevance to the OP about the statement he pointed out in this argument - if you have no intention of moving to Canada then why would you even apply! - which is the fact that there are no shortage of people who don't have intention of moving to Canada, yet they applied for Canadian PR.
The post I posted had direct relevance to link you posted.

Your posted link was irrelevant to what OP asked and what his circumstances are (OP is not asking how to retain PR as landed immigrant while going overseas to stay with his son who is going to school at home). What is the use of posting links to cases that are completely irrelevant to OP, and what OP is asking about? What good it does to change the subject of the thread into something that is irrelevant to OP ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
david1697 said:
The post I posted had direct relevance to what you posted.

Your posted link was irrelevant to what OP asked and what his circumstances are (OP is not asking how to retain PR as landed immigrant while going overseas to stay with his son who is going to school at home). What is the use of posting links to cases that are completely irrelevant to OP and what OP is asking about and changing the subject of the thread into something that is irrelevant to OP?
Why isn't it so? OP said that if you have no intention of moving to Canada then why would you even apply! The link clearly shows people actually done this sort of thing. Therefore what I posted earlier had direct relevance to what OP had posted. So your post was irrelevant to what I have posted.

Like yourself, anyone can post any number of links to any number of circumstances, hearsays and cases irrelevant to others tries to understand or asks about in his/her specific circumstances, and all that is being accomplished is adding to confusion and giving an erroneous, even dangerously misleading, advise.