+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa- and LMIA-exempt Work Permit: Online application vs. border?

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
Hey everyone. I'm an American who recently finished my doctorate and was planning on driving up to Canada and apply for my work permit at the border for my new job - then COVID hit. It was recommended to apply online through IRCC (I am visa-exempt and my job is LMIA-exempt). I did so March 19. I understand WP processing times are greater than 2-3 weeks (it's anybody's guess how long this will take)...I am still waiting. As far as my employer and the BC government is concerned, my new job is considered essential, and I am working on getting proof of this through a letter from my HR department.

My questions are:

1.) Has anybody applied online around this time/same situation and been approved?
2.) I'm thinking of attempting to travel to Peace Arch POE and cross via land/apply for my WP in-person...can I do this with an online application processing and without a POE letter? Or would/should I have to withdraw first? I called the Windsor tunnel (I am currently waiting this COVID situation out in Detroit with my parents) and somebody told me this would be possible. They mentioned I couldn't flagpole - this was my first thought as the border is 30 minutes away from me right now. Then someone else told me another day (same Windsor POE) that it's not, and having a WP processing online would mess up applying at the border.

I'm at a loss of what I can do. I'm looking at losing an income and health insurance very soon if I can't get over.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone. I'm an American who recently finished my doctorate and was planning on driving up to Canada and apply for my work permit at the border for my new job - then COVID hit. It was recommended to apply online through IRCC (I am visa-exempt and my job is LMIA-exempt). I did so March 19. I understand WP processing times are greater than 2-3 weeks (it's anybody's guess how long this will take)...I am still waiting. As far as my employer and the BC government is concerned, my new job is considered essential, and I am working on getting proof of this through a letter from my HR department.

My questions are:

1.) Has anybody applied online around this time/same situation and been approved?
2.) I'm thinking of attempting to travel to Peace Arch POE and cross via land/apply for my WP in-person...can I do this with an online application processing and without a POE letter? Or would/should I have to withdraw first? I called the Windsor tunnel (I am currently waiting this COVID situation out in Detroit with my parents) and somebody told me this would be possible. They mentioned I couldn't flagpole - this was my first thought as the border is 30 minutes away from me right now. Then someone else told me another day (same Windsor POE) that it's not, and having a WP processing online would mess up applying at the border.

I'm at a loss of what I can do. I'm looking at losing an income and health insurance very soon if I can't get over.
I would not withdraw your online application.

We've had a few people here try to apply for work permits at the border and they've all been turned away since this isn't classified as an essential activity. Information from IRCC / CBSA specifically states that work permits are not being processed at land borders at this time.

Once you have the letter from your employer stating that your job is essential, you can give it a shot. However be prepared for the possibility they will say no and you'll need to wait for the online application to be processed.

So I would leave your online application as is as a back up.

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks for your response. I'm thinking about just trying at the Windsor POE - if I do this, and I am denied/sent back, will this affect my chances at trying again in the future or my current WP processing online?

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
my new job is considered essential, and I am working on getting proof of this through a letter from my HR department.
Maybe if your job is considered essential you can somehow bypass most of the wait or they will give you a permit at the border. But my temporary work permit which I applied for on February 29 is still being processed (I am also from the US). It seems likely that IRCC New York is not processing visas currently. Usually their Facebook account had a weekly status saying which week work visas are being processed, but they haven’t provided an update since mid March.

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
Maybe if your job is considered essential you can somehow bypass most of the wait or they will give you a permit at the border. But my temporary work permit which I applied for on February 29 is still being processed (I am also from the US). It seems likely that IRCC New York is not processing visas currently. Usually their Facebook account had a weekly status saying which week work visas are being processed, but they haven’t provided an update since mid March.
Have been looking at this as well as an option - can you let me know if one of your tries it. 4 hour drive here...

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
Have been looking at this as well as an option - can you let me know if one of your tries it. 4 hour drive here...
If the work permit is not issued by the end of June then our family will drive to the border so we can self quarantine and have time to begin the job on time. But it’s 14 hours to the border from here, so I really hope they figure things out before then.

Sanchi kakkar

May 4, 2020
Please let me know when is visa office going to open as biometric was done but after that lockdown started just because of covid19
Or ifi mayget to know when visa will be issuef

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
Hey all - considering the start date for my job was yesterday, I am going to the border tomorrow to try and obtain my WP in person (~30 min. drive for me). I'll let you know how it goes.

The only thing that will likely be held against me, is my intention is not to enter immediately (because my job is not in Ontario, it's in BC...I'm just quarantining for the time being in Detroit). I'm bringing my lease information for the apartment I've been paying for for in Vancouver, utility bills, and every other document I used to apply for the WP online. We'll see!

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
I had been given the impression that it is part and parcel if you choose to do your work permit at the land border - you must enter at that time and submit your solid quarantine plans.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hey all - considering the start date for my job was yesterday, I am going to the border tomorrow to try and obtain my WP in person (~30 min. drive for me). I'll let you know how it goes.

The only thing that will likely be held against me, is my intention is not to enter immediately (because my job is not in Ontario, it's in BC...I'm just quarantining for the time being in Detroit). I'm bringing my lease information for the apartment I've been paying for for in Vancouver, utility bills, and every other document I used to apply for the WP online. We'll see!
You realize you’ll be required to quarantine as soon as you enter Canada

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
You realize you’ll be required to quarantine as soon as you enter Canada
Hi! Thanks for your concern, but yes, I am fully aware of Canada's quarantine requirements :) I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home while I do so, and after start reporting in person. But this can only be done if I have a work permit to begin with...while my employer allows onboarding interprovincially, they do not internationally. I don't want to risk flying all the way to the PNW to be turned away if I apply for my WP there...therefore, a 30 minute drive is much less risky.

Believe me, I've thought of all the scenarios.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi! Thanks for your concern, but yes, I am fully aware of Canada's quarantine requirements :) I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home while I do so, and after start reporting in person. But this can only be done if I have a work permit to begin with...while my employer allows onboarding interprovincially, they do not internationally. I don't want to risk flying all the way to the PNW to be turned away if I apply for my WP there...therefore, a 30 minute drive is much less risky.

I wouldn't tell them you're in quarantine in Detroit. By visiting the border , you've broken your quarantine. Or maybe quarantine is different in the states ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
WELP I tried! I got past CBSA officer no problem - he was very supportive. IRCC officer was a massive dick...basically, he told me he has the power to determine whether I'm essential or not, and what he considers essential is a doctor or a nurse, period. This is when I started ugly crying (can't help my emotions haha).

He suggested calling IRCC (which, lol, I can only do if inside Canada). Glimmer of hope: they're easing up the auto trade restrictions shortly, so this might be an indication for other less-essential travel to start going back and forth again. Also, he told me even if I have a POE letter, it's unlikely the border will let you through unless you have support from your employer that your job is still current and essential...and that definition of essential is entirely up to the officer you're lucky enough to get on that particular day.

My advice: don't try it (unless you're like 30 minutes from the border like me, then go for it bc there's really nothing to lose) until the border restrictions ease (~May 20 earliest for the USA), or the Quarantine Act is lifted (June 30 earliest).

I'm back home now having hot chocolate and snuggling with my dog.