+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Virtual Oath Ceremony

waiting~

Apr 25, 2022
I know as i thought the same hence i was telling my wife that he doesnt need to be there and asking them not to be there. I was even planning to drop them at my friend's place. My wife was telling that we will be near by and wont go far and if they asked then we can come in.
Like my wife said, the officer was started asking where my son is since he is also taking oath. The officer said that my son needs to be here online while verifying ID. So i called my wife to bring my son and after ID verification they left.

So thinking that it may be the norm or some officers expect them to be online till ID verified.
Either case its fine as cic is anyway asking all of us to be inside while oath hence not a problem.

So if someone is taking oath for/along with the children then make sure the children is near by, just in case.
thanks for your reply and wish you and your family all the best!

Reactions: harirajmohan

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@mgnlky

1. What is the EDT (Canada) time zone. Is it Eastern Daylight Time ? Yes
2. Can my spouse attend the ceremony together with me, or should it be separate? Does the spouse need to login on a different machine and do the process? You can log in on the same machine assuming you both have a 'seat number' (or invite) for the same oath ceremony.
Same ceremony. It says, "Change your Zoom screen name to show your seat number." Can I add two seat numbers here?

3. The signing of the Oath of Citizenship form — Will the officer ask us to sign the form during the ceremony. And how should we send this form? I mean, after signing it electronically, should it be submitted online or do we have to email it separately? If sending it by email, Does this need to be done at the ceremony or will they check that it is received or what is the process? They will tell you have to do this- you can either print/sign/scan the form, or you can digitally sign it after the ceremony. You have to send it in soon after the ceremony, but not before (aka, you cannot sign the form before you swear the oath). They also will not process your certificate until this form is received.
Do I have to send the signed form during the ceremony or should it be done immediately after the ceremony? Will they acknowledge that they have received the signed form? Will the officer give us a receipt during the ceremony?

4. I read that it would take 2-4 weeks to get the certificate. Can I ask the officer to expediate sending me the certificate? Is there any option to select express delivery of the certificate by paying for express shipping? You can ask when you send the form in. You'll need a solid rationale as to why you need urgent processing and include flight plans, etc.. Note: Mine was "urgent" and it still took 3 weeks to process and 4 to receive.

Thank you

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
@mgnlky

1. What is the EDT (Canada) time zone. Is it Eastern Daylight Time ? Yes
2. Can my spouse attend the ceremony together with me, or should it be separate? Does the spouse need to login on a different machine and do the process? You can log in on the same machine assuming you both have a 'seat number' (or invite) for the same oath ceremony.
Same ceremony. It says, "Change your Zoom screen name to show your seat number." Can I add two seat numbers here?

3. The signing of the Oath of Citizenship form — Will the officer ask us to sign the form during the ceremony. And how should we send this form? I mean, after signing it electronically, should it be submitted online or do we have to email it separately? If sending it by email, Does this need to be done at the ceremony or will they check that it is received or what is the process? They will tell you have to do this- you can either print/sign/scan the form, or you can digitally sign it after the ceremony. You have to send it in soon after the ceremony, but not before (aka, you cannot sign the form before you swear the oath). They also will not process your certificate until this form is received.
Do I have to send the signed form during the ceremony or should it be done immediately after the ceremony? Will they acknowledge that they have received the signed form? Will the officer give us a receipt during the ceremony?

4. I read that it would take 2-4 weeks to get the certificate. Can I ask the officer to expediate sending me the certificate? Is there any option to select express delivery of the certificate by paying for express shipping? You can ask when you send the form in. You'll need a solid rationale as to why you need urgent processing and include flight plans, etc.. Note: Mine was "urgent" and it still took 3 weeks to process and 4 to receive.

Thank you
I took oath (my son is added to my file). I had displayed only my number. Officer will ask you who all take oath. They are noting down who all are taking oath(whether they are with you together or not with you). So joining on one number in same laptop should be very much fine as they are not going to miss sending you certificate. I think that i remember officer was asking us not to enter more than 1 number(but its not a big deal as they are going to tell you what to do hence not a big issue).

Just follow their instructions and you would be fine. Dont worry too much and no need to be prepared heavily.

Emailing the form: They dont acknowledge. We have seen many mentioning they dont even get auto reply. So dont expect any reply. Watch you account to get updated to closed in few days. No receipt given during ceremony.
The subject format mentioned in the pdf invite was different than what i was instructed during the oath. So watch for post ceremony and take screenshot on the format and email id.(email should be same as in your invite but just in case).
I was ready with my form signed and scanned before the ceremony and sent the email after the ceremony.
I think that some officers ask you to sign and mine didnt but either way you need to send the scanned one after the ceremony hence it wont matter if you sign during the ceremony or after.

You can ask on getting certificate but some officer seems to be not having control hence they are repeating the same thing like "it will take time as early delivery is not guaranteed and avoid traveling till you get certificate". So try to mention on it and then when you send your oath form, include proof that you need to travel soon etc and request them to send it soon and give it a shot. YOu cant do more than that.

My experience:
Join the meeting and wait till they allow you in.
Change the seat number instead of name. Rename button is there.
One person will welcome you and will tell that later to join the breakout room
Click on on button to go to breakout room.
wait in breakout room
Dont unmute till you are asked to do so.
One person will start calling few numbers to unmute.
Wait till you are called to unmute.
Either someone will call your number to unmute or you will be automatically taken to a room to verify your IDs.
They call this one as pre-registration room.
You need to spell your name, address with postal code.
Officer will ask if you are in Canada.
Officer will explain that you cannot travel etc.
Show the PR card. Show other ID card. Here this officer wanted another canadian ID card. i showed heatlh card. She asked if its valid.
Now moved back to waiting room.
There will be popup window saying you will be leaving breakout room.
You will be moved to main session for ceremony.
THey will play welcome home video about Canada.
Whenever unmute button pops up then unmute yourself.
Oath: They will tell and you will repeat.
Later they will ask you to turn off video so that the judge can pose a photo which you can screenshot if you want.
Post ceremony then will tell how and where to send the signed form. They will show the email and subject you need to write in and ask you to send all the forms in same email(separate forms for all except children less than 14).

Last edited:

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I took oath (my son is added to my file). I had displayed only my number. Officer will ask you who all take oath. They are noting down who all are taking oath(whether they are with you together or not with you). So joining on one number in same laptop should be very much fine as they are not going to miss sending you certificate. I think that i remember officer was asking us not to enter more than 1 number(but its not a big deal as they are going to tell you what to do hence not a big issue).

Just follow their instructions and you would be fine. Dont worry too much and no need to be prepared heavily.

Emailing the form: They dont acknowledge. We have seen many mentioning they dont even get auto reply. So dont expect any reply. Watch you account to get updated to closed in few days. No receipt given during ceremony.
The subject format mentioned in the pdf invite was different than what i was instructed during the oath. So watch for post ceremony and take screenshot on the format and email id.(email should be same as in your invite but just in case).
I was ready with my form signed and scanned before the ceremony and sent the email after the ceremony.
I think that some officers ask you to sign and mine didnt but either way you need to send the scanned one after the ceremony hence it wont matter if you sign during the ceremony or after.

You can ask on getting certificate but some officer seems to be not having control hence they are repeating the same thing like "it will take time as early delivery is not guaranteed and avoid traveling till you get certificate". So try to mention on it and then when you send your oath form, include proof that you need to travel soon etc and request them to send it soon and give it a shot. YOu cant do more than that.

My experience:
Join the meeting and wait till they allow you in.
Change the seat number instead of name. Rename button is there.
One person will welcome you and will tell that later to join the breakout room
Click on on button to go to breakout room.
wait in breakout room
Dont unmute till you are asked to do so.
One person will start calling few numbers to unmute.
Wait till you are called to unmute.
Either someone will call your number to unmute or you will be automatically taken to a room to verify your IDs.
They call this one as pre-registration room.
You need to spell your name, address with postal code.
Officer will ask if you are in Canada.
Officer will explain that you cannot travel etc.
Show the PR card. Show other ID card. Here this officer wanted another canadian ID card. i showed heatlh card. She asked if its valid.
Now moved back to waiting room.
There will be popup window saying you will be leaving breakout room.
You will be moved to main session for ceremony.
THey will play welcome home video about Canada.
Whenever unmute button pops up then unmute yourself.
Oath: They will tell and you will repeat.
Later they will ask you to turn off video so that the judge can pose a photo which you can screenshot if you want.
Wondeful post. Thank you @harirajmohan

How long the ceremony will be 2 hrs / 3 hrs ?

Post ceremony then will tell how and where to send the signed form. They will show the email and subject you need to write in and ask you to send all the forms in same email(separate forms for all except children less than 14).

Can I send them my form and my spouse's form together in one email or Spouse have to send them separately?

Thank you

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Wondeful post. Thank you @harirajmohan

How long the ceremony will be 2 hrs / 3 hrs ?

Can I send them my form and my spouse's form together in one email or Spouse have to send them separately?

Thank you
It took little more than 2.5 hours as they started late i guess or more than 100 people.
Yes they will tell after oath on what we need to do after the call ends. They show 2 ppt slide, one with the form where to sign/fill etc and another with email & subject format to send email. They dont show whats the body of email but they will ask you to include applicant details(name, uci, application number) for all members of family(whoever took oath). yes, one email for all with multiple separate form for each person in that one email.

Reactions: visa_4all

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It took little more than 2.5 hours as they started late i guess or more than 100 people.
Yes they will tell after oath on what we need to do after the call ends. They show 2 ppt slide, one with the form where to sign/fill etc and another with email & subject format to send email. They dont show whats the body of email but they will ask you to include applicant details(name, uci, application number) for all members of family(whoever took oath). yes, one email for all with multiple separate form for each person in that one email.
Thank you

Lanina

Apr 10, 2017
I know as i thought the same hence i was telling my wife that he doesnt need to be there and asking them not to be there. I was even planning to drop them at my friend's place. My wife was telling that we will be near by and wont go far and if they asked then we can come in.
Like my wife said, the officer was started asking where my son is since he is also taking oath. The officer said that my son needs to be here online while verifying ID. So i called my wife to bring my son and after ID verification they left.

So thinking that it may be the norm or some officers expect them to be online till ID verified.
Either case its fine as cic is anyway asking all of us to be inside while oath hence not a problem.

So if someone is taking oath for/along with the children then make sure the children is near by, just in case.
That means all family on the application must be present.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That means all family on the application must be present.
Correct(as per that officer, all oath taking members, including children whether they take oath or not, need to be present till ID verification at least).

Reactions: Lanina

User0081

Jul 28, 2022
What documents did you have to send with the signed form ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Reactions: User0081

Rameshvs30

Nov 13, 2016
In today's ceremony, officer from alberta was asking on local id(apart form PR card i showed and she was not wanting current passport).
Luckily i had local health card which i renewed before moving out of Canada hence could show.

How did anyone manage this kind of situation where one has only valid PR card, valid passport and expired state driver license?
My wife doesnt have valid local id hence now confusion on how to handle this problem during her oath on 10th.
Not sure why these federal guys asking on local id and that too asking if its still valid. They cannot do their residency verification on oath day.
Hi Hariajmohan,

We have an Oath ceremony on 23rd august. Both mine and wife have expired OHIP cards and no DL because we were out of the country till July and we cannot get new ones in time for ceremony. My daughter's OHIP card is still valid. Was it okay when you showed them the expired cards?

Thanks!

Ramesh

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Hariajmohan,

We have an Oath ceremony on 23rd august. Both mine and wife have expired OHIP cards and no DL because we were out of the country till July and we cannot get new ones in time for ceremony. My daughter's OHIP card is still valid. Was it okay when you showed them the expired cards?

Thanks!

Ramesh
Per their own guidelines, they shouldnt be insisting on ID to be local provincial one. So i doubt that there will be trouble for not having valid local id that too when you would have just entered the country after long time. Just explain and tell that you entered the country recently and still not found home yet hence you dont have local ID.

For my wife, they accepted the expired id but my officer was insisting on asking if my local id was valid(my officer was from AB and my wife's officer was from ON). It doesnt matter from where the officer is but you dont have choice. Just be prepared to explain the situation as you dont have any other choice.
Predicting what officer would be hard since cic employee dont have training often as they go with their own old guidelines which was there years ago.

First show the passport. Wait for officer to ask on local id. if asked then you start explaining. Dont explain upfront.

Reactions: Rameshvs30

Rameshvs30

Nov 13, 2016
Per their own guidelines, they shouldnt be insisting on ID to be local provincial one. So i doubt that there will be trouble for not having valid local id that too when you would have just entered the country after long time. Just explain and tell that you entered the country recently and still not found home yet hence you dont have local ID.

For my wife, they accepted the expired id but my officer was insisting on asking if my local id was valid(my officer was from AB and my wife's officer was from ON). It doesnt matter from where the officer is but you dont have choice. Just be prepared to explain the situation as you dont have any other choice.
Predicting what officer would be hard since cic employee dont have training often as they go with their own old guidelines which was there years ago.

First show the passport. Wait for officer to ask on local id. if asked then you start explaining. Dont explain upfront.
Thank you for the prompt reply and the advice and help you give on this forum.

Ramesh

Dmonkie

Oct 13, 2017
Hi everyone,

Can I share my zoom link with my parents outside Canada to attend the ceremony? If so, do they login with my seat number as well and do they need to prepare some sort of IDs or anything?

Thanks!