+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Virtual Citizenship Ceremony Experience in detail!

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Got a technical question - you said you were a family of 3 that did the virtual ceremony - did all of you used the same device? We are 2 taking the Oath and on the letter they are asking to use same device for all family members, but i don't know how this will work if we have different seat numbers?
We're a family of 3 who took our oath on Dec 6. We logged in from a single device and used our seat numbers separated by commas as our screen name: 38, 39, 40 - please read the email carefully, all these instructions are given there.

It's best if a family logs in from the same device since it saves time and the official is able to verify everyone's document at the same time.

Good luck!

mike3213

Oct 28, 2022
We're a family of 3 who took our oath on Dec 6. We logged in from a single device and used our seat numbers separated by commas as our screen name: 38, 39, 40 - please read the email carefully, all these instructions are given there.

It's best if a family logs in from the same device since it saves time and the official is able to verify everyone's document at the same time.

Good luck!
thanks a lot for the info :)

Reactions: Wandering Mind

Rameshvs30

Nov 13, 2016
Got a technical question - you said you were a family of 3 that did the virtual ceremony - did all of you used the same device? We are 2 taking the Oath and on the letter they are asking to use same device for all family members, but i don't know how this will work if we have different seat numbers?
Same computer, family name with seat numbers separated by commas! All the best!

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
@rajkamalmohanram thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I have a question regarding the request to expedite the Citizenship Certificate. How did you go about submitting this request? I have a trip booked to visit my family and want to ensure that I get the certificate on time. Should I explain this to the IRCC representative? Should I print a copy of the ticket to show it to them on camera?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I have a question regarding the request to expedite the Citizenship Certificate. How did you go about submitting this request? I have a trip booked to visit my family and want to ensure that I get the certificate on time. Should I explain this to the IRCC representative? Should I print a copy of the ticket to show it to them on camera?
My application was processed urgently so my certificate was automatically considered for expedited processing. You can try and explain this. If you have tickets booked, that might help your case.

Thanks.

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
VIRTUAL CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY EXPERIENCE
Okay, so as promised, detailed below is my citizenship ceremony experience. I'll post it as three parts because I can't fit everything in one post.

PART 1

Local Office : Mississauga IRCC
Oath Ceremony Date
: August 23rd, 2021
Oath Ceremony Time: 8:30 AM EST
IRCC Crew: 1 Citizenship Judge + 1 Administrator for Zoom + 1 Main Clerk + 3 IRCC officials (referred to as clerks)
Total # of applicants: 44

On the ceremony day

I woke up to my first alarm at 6:45 AM (and then I disabled the 6 other alarms I had created the night before).

Got ready, was browsing the forum for a while until 7:55 AM. I closed other applications, made sure my UPS was correctly working, connected my desktop to my mobile hotspot (if there are issues with the Wi-Fi modem/router), checked camera / microphone and had the Zoom application open.

At 8:00 AM sharp, I keyed in the meeting ID and the password and it said "Please wait for the host to start the meeting". At around 8:15 AM, I saw the message "The meeting host will let you in soon" and also, in the chat window, there was a message asking all of us to "rename" ourselves using the last name. It was that way until 8:25 AM when I was put in a room with the others and the administrator. The administrator was talking to another participant when I joined. I was on mute for about 2 minutes. The administrator then asked me to unmute myself and asked for my last name. I told him and then he gave me a seat # (Seat # is basically the breakout room # that you will be put in).
Hello,
What do you mean by proper signatures for the form? is there a particular pattern or format?

pancham_ott

Feb 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

As I understand, during the initial part of virtual oath ceremony, the IRCC official asks if you've been in trouble with the police, justice, law or immigration. Sometimes they ask for the last 4 years, or since the application was started, while in some cases they ask 'if you have EVER been in trouble with the police....'

Has there been anyone who got asked the 'have you EVER' version of the question and answered yes to it even though it wasn't something that'll prohibit you from citizenship? If yes, how did the officer handle it?

I have an upcoming virtual oath ceremony, and a situation from long back that was declared on PR application and won't prohibit me from citizenship. I am just asking for anyone's experience who was in the same boat, and if they ran into any issues with the IRCC agent during the oath ceremony.

Thank you for your help in advance!

ryanvik

Star Member
Jul 6, 2019
Have a question on the actual signing. Do I need to sign after oath next to "x" or in that line anywhere. As the signing box is too small and I was wondering if I can sign at the end of that row that allows me to have more vertical space.

leopravin7

Mar 23, 2022
Hi. My oath ceremony is scheduled in 2 weeks. I have not yet received the invitation link. How soon the invitation email is expected, and at which point should I contact IRCC if I don't receive the email.
Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi. My oath ceremony is scheduled in 2 weeks. I have not yet received the invitation link. How soon the invitation email is expected, and at which point should I contact IRCC if I don't receive the email.
Thanks
You should receive it a week before your Oath.

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
Thanks
IRCC Strike is looming, hopefully they don't cancel our oath ceremony.