Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Landing in Canada question

Dusica said:
Hey guys,

I am planing to land next week. Take a bus to US border (thinking Niagara falls) and go on foot :)

Does anybody know what kind of documents should i bring with me?
What sort of questions would i be asked?

I do have US visitors visa as well but i am reading that i do not actually need one for the purpose of landing as there is a well established process of how is this done without it.

Thank you!
Wou,that is great.

Did u get back yr passport from Vienna? How long it takes u,to get back? And how did u send it?via Fedex,UPS?
I plan the same thing like u,when they ask me for PPR.
And yr PR visa id for how long?

I think that in landing process u have to have with u all documents that u have.Marriage certificate,and all others,and yr husband to be with u.
That is what I find out on this forum,but I ll hear from u when u finish,how it was.

Just be relax,everything ll be fine. ;)

Dusica

Jul 1, 2014

madam-m said:
Wou,that is great.

Did u get back yr passport from Vienna? How long it takes u,to get back? And how did u send it?via Fedex,UPS?
I plan the same thing like u,when they ask me for PPR.
And yr PR visa id for how long?

I think that in landing process u have to have with u all documents that u have.Marriage certificate,and all others,and yr husband to be with u.
That is what I find out on this forum,but I ll hear from u when u finish,how it was.

Just be relax,everything ll be fine. ;)
Thanks, i am sure it'll be fine, i just want to be prepared :)))

Actually, i applied outland even though i stayed in Canada. I sent my pass to Vienna instead of Ottawa because it's quicker (they process it longder in Ottawa). It takes two days to reach Vienna and two days to reach back. I used Fedex. My pass was stamped the following day upon its arrival to Vienna (i know that coz they ve sent me an email once they received it and also, that it was ready for pick up). They give themselves the deadline of up to 7 days to send you the passport back.

So, my pass is on it's way, due to Thanksgiving it will arrive on Tuesday. In the letter i previously got from imm they wrote that my visa will be valid until Oct 15th 2015.

Will keep everyone posted of my experience. In the meantime, if anybody was in my position, it would be useful to hear of their experience while landing.

madam-m

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That I dont understand.

What means that,that yr visa ll be valid till October 2015.? And then what? Maybe I miss something,I am confused.

Mikac15

Star Member
Feb 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2013
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014 - NEW POLICE CERTIFICATE
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
23-12-2013
Med's Request
EXTENDED FOR ONE FULL YEAR
Med's Done....
13-09-2013 (EXTENDED FOR ONE FULL YEAR)
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
24-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2014
madam-m said:
That I dont understand.

What means that,that yr visa ll be valid till October 2015.? And then what? Maybe I miss something,I am confused.
You have a certain amount of time to claim permanent residence (enter Canada). My brother had 11 months to enter Canada once he was approved for permanent residence, of course he left as soon as he could as his wife was in Toronto but Canada still gives you a certain amount of time. Once you enter Canada on that visa, you get your permanent residence card so the visa is no longer required. Hope that helped.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014

Dusica said:
Thanks, i am sure it'll be fine, i just want to be prepared :)))

Actually, i applied outland even though i stayed in Canada. I sent my pass to Vienna instead of Ottawa because it's quicker (they process it longder in Ottawa). It takes two days to reach Vienna and two days to reach back. I used Fedex. My pass was stamped the following day upon its arrival to Vienna (i know that coz they ve sent me an email once they received it and also, that it was ready for pick up). They give themselves the deadline of up to 7 days to send you the passport back.

So, my pass is on it's way, due to Thanksgiving it will arrive on Tuesday. In the letter i previously got from imm they wrote that my visa will be valid until Oct 15th 2015.

Will keep everyone posted of my experience. In the meantime, if anybody was in my position, it would be useful to hear of their experience while landing.
I was in Canada throughout the process as well. I live in Calgary and when I received my COPR I drove down to Coutts to land.

1. You don't need a US visa because you actually don't enter the US. You tell the US officer that you want to flagpole. He will take your passport, tell you to park and go inside. There you will sign a piece of paper that you withdraw your application to enter the US,you'll get your passport back and then they'll bring you back to the Canadian border.

2. You tell the Canadian border officer that you want to land as a PR. The officer will take your passport and US withdrawal paper and tell you to park and go inside.

3. The officer will take your COPR and tell you to sit down and wait.

4. The officer will call you to the counter and you will become a PR.

And now I tell you my story:

It was a Saturday morning and it was quite busy at the border so I had to wait around 90 minutes until I was called to the counter. My common-law partner had to sit down far away from me and I was interviewed.

My officer was a *beep* and thought I was just coming to Canada for work (Ya right. I earned more money back in Germany. Keep dreaming buddy). So he ended up questioning me for about 30 minutes. Although I was already approved by the VO Vienna he asked me all kinds of questions about our relationship, our life, our job, he didn't believe that I stopped working when my work permit expired (I did. I even left the country to go on a short holiday) and so on.

Because I could answer all of his questions without any hesitation he finally called my spouse to the counter. He then told me that I'm now a permanent resident, that I have condition 51 and I have to stay with "this guy" (pointing at my spouse) for 2 years otherwise they would deport me. Then he told my spouse that in this case they would charge him for immigration fraud. Afterwards he told me some things about the minimum days I have to live in Canada to maintain my PR status and the time when I would be able to apply for citizenship.

I was so angry how my landing went that I couldn't even smile that I just became a PR. Bad experience for sure. He was probably just pissed that he had to work in the middle of the prairie on a snowy Saturday in May.

A Filipino who was at the counter in front of me didn't receive his PR status although he had his COPR. The officer didn't believe that the Filipino answered his questions truthfully :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dusica

Jul 1, 2014

little_apple said:
I was in Canada throughout the process as well. I live in Calgary and when I received my COPR I drove down to Coutts to land.

1. You don't need a US visa because you actually don't enter the US. You tell the US officer that you want to flagpole. He will take your passport, tell you to park and go inside. There you will sign a piece of paper that you withdraw your application to enter the US,you'll get your passport back and then they'll bring you back to the Canadian border.

2. You tell the Canadian border officer that you want to land as a PR. The officer will take your passport and US withdrawal paper and tell you to park and go inside.

3. The officer will take your COPR and tell you to sit down and wait.

4. The officer will call you to the counter and you will become a PR.

And now I tell you my story:

It was a Saturday morning and it was quite busy at the border so I had to wait around 90 minutes until I was called to the counter. My common-law partner had to sit down far away from me and I was interviewed.

My officer was a *beep* and thought I was just coming to Canada for work (Ya right. I earned more money back in Germany. Keep dreaming buddy). So he ended up questioning me for about 30 minutes. Although I was already approved by the VO Vienna he asked me all kinds of questions about our relationship, our life, our job, he didn't believe that I stopped working when my work permit expired (I did. I even left the country to go on a short holiday) and so on.

Because I could answer all of his questions without any hesitation he finally called my spouse to the counter. He then told me that I'm now a permanent resident, that I have condition 51 and I have to stay with "this guy" (pointing at my spouse) for 2 years otherwise they would deport me. Then he told my spouse that in this case they would charge him for immigration fraud. Afterwards he told me some things about the minimum days I have to live in Canada to maintain my PR status and the time when I would be able to apply for citizenship.

I was so angry how my landing went that I couldn't even smile that I just became a PR. Bad experience for sure. He was probably just pissed that he had to work in the middle of the prairie on a snowy Saturday in May.

A Filipino who was at the counter in front of me didn't receive his PR status although he had his COPR. The officer didn't believe that the Filipino answered his questions truthfully :eek: :eek: :eek:
Thank you so much for such a detailed description. Wow, what a story you have. Not a pleasant experience....

Well, i have been staying in canada as a visitor, so i was wondering, would they be asking me for some proof of funds (which i thought they should not do as my husband is a sponsor; i was unable to work obviously on a visitors status as well).

Also, i will not be driving to the border but taking a bus. There is no need for my husband - sponsor to go with me, right? It is not a requirement?

Avissa

Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21/08/2013
Med's Done....
29/07/2013
Hi guys,

FINALLY!!!! My status changed to "in process" on Oct 6th and I received a request to send them my police certificate. Quick question though, how long does it take from this stage to the actual PPR?

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........

Dusica said:
Thank you so much for such a detailed description. Wow, what a story you have. Not a pleasant experience....

Well, i have been staying in canada as a visitor, so i was wondering, would they be asking me for some proof of funds (which i thought they should not do as my husband is a sponsor; i was unable to work obviously on a visitors status as well).

Also, i will not be driving to the border but taking a bus. There is no need for my husband - sponsor to go with me, right? It is not a requirement?
Your spouse doesn't have to be with you. I think in my case it was better that my spouse was with me otherwise the officer would have been even meaner

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
Avissa said:
Hi guys,

FINALLY!!!! My status changed to "in process" on Oct 6th and I received a request to send them my police certificate. Quick question though, how long does it take from this stage to the actual PPR?
I got DM 1 month after they received my additional documents. You are almost there :D

Kopje

Nov 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
little_apple said:
I got DM 1 month after they received my additional documents. You are almost there :D
Hopefully it will be just as fast for us than it was for you! We are planning on visiting my wife's family for Christmas. It would be a perfect Christmas gift if I would be able to land as a PR at that time.

madam-m

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And how u know that, they received yr additional documents?Did they inform u,or nothing?

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
madam-m said:
And how u know that, they received yr additional documents?Did they inform u,or nothing?
Tracking number from Canada Post. No word from Vienna. My documents arrived in Vienna on March 13th, my GCMS notes said Vienna started looking at them on April 16th and made a decision on April 17. This is also the date on my COPR

Muby

Jun 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2013
Doc's Request.
14-04-2013
AOR Received.
Received with application
File Transfer...
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
15-01-2013
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
10-12-2013 SAMEDAY
VISA ISSUED...
10-12-2013 SAMEDAY
LANDED..........
08-02-2014
Hello to our members in Vienna.

It has been a while since when I post something in this forum, Today is 9month since when we arrived in Calgary so far so good, All i wish to anyone is fasting process and everybody be with his beloved ones. Good luck to everyone

Mikac15

Star Member
Feb 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2013
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014 - NEW POLICE CERTIFICATE
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
23-12-2013
Med's Request
EXTENDED FOR ONE FULL YEAR
Med's Done....
13-09-2013 (EXTENDED FOR ONE FULL YEAR)
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
24-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2014
I know I haven't been here very long but I thought this information I have will help nonetheless!

Vienna received our application in Jan 2014, however we applied in Nov 2013. On Oct 7, 2014 our application status has changed to IN PROCESS!
Finally after what feels like forever, we have something. We literally heard nothing since Jan, 2014. At least we know he is on their radar!

I can tell you all that Vienna is ALIVE! I hope everyone hears something soon!

zedtoronto

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mikac15 said:
I know I haven't been here very long but I thought this information I have will help nonetheless!

Vienna received our application in Jan 2014, however we applied in Nov 2013. On Oct 7, 2014 our application status has changed to IN PROCESS!
Finally after what feels like forever, we have something. We literally heard nothing since Jan, 2014. At least we know he is on their radar!

I can tell you all that Vienna is ALIVE! I hope everyone hears something soon!
In Progress means very little We (A Canada/Hungary couple) Sent our App to Mississauga Sept 30, 2013 File went to Vienna Oct 15/13. I ordered Case Notes in August 2014. All it said was they worked on our App from Oct 15 to Nov 1, 2013 (Entering this and that date from our application) and did nothing after that, Tuesday October 15, 2014 will be 12th month of so-called In Progress. When we filed in was 12 month wait, it has now climbed to 17 months for Vienna, Under Citizenship and Immigration Canada