+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very important*** need help and advice

Dec 9, 2018
While my citizenship was in process I got charged with simple assault in august while I still had to do finger prints for cic. The police took my finger prints charged me and gave me court date to appear. I plead not guilty as my ex lied . Confused and was intoxicated the time cops arrived at the scene. I had no contact order and we were still hanging out and we argued again in December and I was charged again with breaking my no contact order they took my finger prints once again and held me in custody and then the judge released me next morning. I never hired any lawyer and both charges are pending and my lawyer will be representing me soon. Both charges the crown is proceeding summarily. Means summary offence summary conviction.

Questions ?
1. Do I tell cic about this or do they know ?
2. I was never charged in Canada or any other country for anything that includes my eligibility period for citizenship will this effect or deny my citizenship?
3. Does this make me deportable ?
Please respond if any witnesses similar situation before.

I applied march 2018
Aor april
July IP.
August FP request
FP sent August .
No updates since then.

Maverick.Canajun

Jul 6, 2014
Windsor, Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Nomination.....
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
11-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Interview........
Waived 3rd Line 09-04-2015
Passport Req..
29-05-2015 Decision Made : 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2015 Passport Returned : 12-06-2015
I have not witnessed anything similar. I would like to attempt to help on a few points but you should seek legal counsel.
1. You are most likely not "deportable" as long as your Permanent Residence is active / current.
2. If you are under the process of being charged and law enforcement has your prints then a case has been registered in your name.
3. Do not assume that CIC / iRCC knows and wait for them to find out. Please contact them asap and let them know before they think you knowingly hid something from them. Regardless, CIC will take into account these "activities" that attracted the law to you.

Timeline seems normal. Please write /call CIC and let them know and seek legal counsel on immigration asap.

Dec 9, 2018
I have not witnessed anything similar. I would like to attempt to help on a few points but you should seek legal counsel.
1. You are most likely not "deportable" as long as your Permanent Residence is active / current.
2. If you are under the process of being charged and law enforcement has your prints then a case has been registered in your name.
3. Do not assume that CIC / iRCC knows and wait for them to find out. Please contact them asap and let them know before they think you knowingly hid something from them. Regardless, CIC will take into account these "activities" that attracted the law to you.

Timeline seems normal. Please write /call CIC and let them know and seek legal counsel on immigration asap.
I spoke to couple lawyers all they told me that this wont effect your citizenship as this is a summary matter. I dont want to hide anything from cic also the lawyer did not mention anything to write to CIC. Where does it say that I have to inform cic ? Aside from my address change or phone or email etc. Pls advise

Maverick.Canajun

Jul 6, 2014
Windsor, Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Nomination.....
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
11-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Interview........
Waived 3rd Line 09-04-2015
Passport Req..
29-05-2015 Decision Made : 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2015 Passport Returned : 12-06-2015
I spoke to couple lawyers all they told me that this wont effect your citizenship as this is a summary matter. I dont want to hide anything from cic also the lawyer did not mention anything to write to CIC. Where does it say that I have to inform cic ? Aside from my address change or phone or email etc. Pls advise
Hey - Sorry for the delay. As I said, I hadn't seen anything similar. I know the IRCC website as well as anyone else and it does not address this situation which is why I asked you to do two things: 1) Contact a legal counsel 2) Contact IRCC.

I said # 2) because IRCC has a stated responsibility (providing transparency) to let you know if your criminal or civil proceedings will impact your citizenship application.

That said, if you just wait for them to revert, you will find out eventually if you are able to get citizenship or not. But you wanted to check what will happen if.................

So I am addressing the question you have asked.

Now what do you mean by "I spoke to a couple of lawyers?" Are they your friends or did they offer professional legal counsel? Will they be able to defend your case in court and stand behind their advise? Or are they like me?

Why I say this is, I mean: You can shout at me on the forum (and them at a party or gathering) but not much will happen to either as we offered you "friendly advise".

If they are offering friendly advise then it is my word against theirs. You choose which one you want to follow.
If it is professional advise and they will defend your case if and when the time comes, please follow their advise.

I say this because if your lawyers said it is a summary matter and wont affect citizenship - they are probably referring to the timeline of a summary conviction, meaning they expect you to get citizenship before your case comes up for hearing.

In Canada summary offences are usually referred to as summary conviction offences (SCO's). SCO's are considered less serious than indictable offences because they are punishable by shorter prison sentences and smaller fines.
  • A summary offence is a criminal act that can be proceeded with summarily, without the right to a jury trial and/or indictment (required for an indictable offence). Because there is no jury - your trial will have a judgement quickly - judge will decide and sentence as appropriate - with or without a jail term, and with or without a fine. You can, of course, challenge the judgement.
  • An indictable offence is an offence which can only be tried on an indictment after a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is a prima facie case to answer or by a grand jury (in contrast to a summary offence). In trials for indictable offences, the accused normally has the right to a jury trial, unless he or she waives that right.
Now post your response, I did go through some legal precedents and spoke to an acquaintance (who is an ex-Federal Judge) and found that if the possible "maximum" sentence for your particular summary conviction is more than or equal to 10 years even if you are sentenced to less than or equal to 6 months in jail - you will be deported after serving the sentence, if you stay a PR at the time of your release, as well. Also, unfortunately, as I had thought out aloud in my first response, IRCC already knows (101%) that your have this case in your name.

With a quick search, I also found similar information here.

I wish you best of luck and if you have any other questions, please do let us know on the forum.

Regards,
Rick

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Copied this from CIC website: it looks like you have to inform them if you are charged with an indictable offense, even if you are not convicted yet. You said the police did charge you, but was it an indictable offense? If it was a summary offense, which is $5000 fine/6 months jail or less, then you may not need to let them know..

Prohibitions
If you have committed a crime in or outside Canada, you may not be eligible to become a Canadian citizen for a period of time. This includes if you:

• are serving a sentence outside Canada
  • are serving a term of imprisonment, on parole or on probation in Canada
  • are charged with, on trial for, or involved in an appeal of an:
  • have been convicted in the four years before applying for citizenship of an:

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15
Copied this from CIC website: it looks like you have to inform them if you are charged with an indictable offense, even if you are not convicted yet. You said the police did charge you, but was it an indictable offense? If it was a summary offense, which is $5000 fine/6 months jail or less, then you may not need to let them know..

Prohibitions
If you have committed a crime in or outside Canada, you may not be eligible to become a Canadian citizen for a period of time. This includes if you:

• are serving a sentence outside Canada
  • are serving a term of imprisonment, on parole or on probation in Canada
  • are charged with, on trial for, or involved in an appeal of an:
  • have been convicted in the four years before applying for citizenship of an:
Offence
Related term:Crime

An offence is any violation of a Canadian law or act, whether or not it occurs in Canada. It can include anything from trespassing or damaging property to immigration fraud or violent crime. There are two main types:
  • Summary offences — These are less serious. The maximum penalty for a summary offence is usually a $5,000 fine and/or six months in jail.
  • Indictable offences — These are more serious and include theft over $5,000, break and enter, aggravated sexual assault and murder. Maximum penalties vary and include life in prison. Some have minimum penalties.

audge

Mar 1, 2018
At my test/interview/oath, I had to sign a paper saying that I have not had any new criminal issues/done anything to make me ineligible. Full disclosure, I did not fully read it because I knew that I had no legal issues or anything. But my point is that this absolutely needs to be disclosed to CIC. I would call and ask how to report it

Reactions: dpenabill

regedit

Aug 20, 2018
This is the Prohibition Act you must sign during your interview (sorry for formatting, copied it from the PDF I've got):

Are you now, or have you ever been in the relevant period* immediately before the date of your citizenship application:  On probation?  On parole?  Serving a term of imprisonment? * The relevant period is 6 years if you applied for citizenship between June 11, 2015 and October 11, 2017 * The relevant period is 5 years if you applied for citizenship on or after October 11, 2017 2. Are you now serving a sentence outside Canada for an offence? 3. Are you now charged with, on trial for, or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to:  An offence under the Citizenship Act or an indictable offence in Canada?  An offence outside Canada? 4. Are you now, or have you ever been, under a removal order (have you been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)? 5. Are you now under investigation for, charged with, on trial for, subject to or a party to an appeal relating to, or have you been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity? 6. Have you directly or indirectly misrepresented or withheld material circumstances relating to this application, or in the 5 years immediately before the date of your citizenship application, were you prohibited from being granted citizenship or taking the Oath because of misrepresentation or withholding material circumstances? 7. In the 10 years immediately before the date of your citizenship application, was your Canadian citizenship taken away (revoked) for reasons of false representation, fraud, or knowingly concealing material circumstances? 8. In the 4 years immediately before the date of your citizenship application or since you submitted your application, have you:  Been convicted of an indictable offence under any Act of Parliament or an offence under the Citizenship Act?  Been convicted of an offence outside Canada, regardless of whether you were pardoned or otherwise granted amnesty for the offence? 9. While a permanent resident, have you:  Been convicted in Canada of terrorism, high treason, treason, or spying offences?  Been convicted outside Canada of terrorism?  Served as a member of an armed force of a country or an organized armed group and that country or group engaged in armed conflict with Canada?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It is NOT clear what specific offences the OP has pending. The specific offence matters. Initial charge, or charge for which the OP was arrested, offer a CLUE, but what really matters is what specific offence is still pending and any specific offence for which there is a conviction.

It is also important to recognize that many offences, like assault, are HYBRID offences. They can be prosecuted as either an indictable or summary offence. To be clear, then, assault is an INDICTABLE offence because it can be prosecuted by indictment. Sure, it may be prosecuted summarily BUT it is nonetheless an indictable offence (applying this in the context of a citizenship application may, however, be more complicated).

If a PR has a pending indictable offence the PR is PROHIBITED from a grant of citizenship. If the PR has been convicted of an indictable offence during the four years previous to the date the application was made, OR since applying, the PR is PROHIBITED from a grant of citizenship.

In addition to not being clear about what particular offence or offences are pending, which again makes a real difference, it is also NOT clear how IRCC-Citizenship approaches HYBRID offences.

We know with confidence that IRCC considers HYBRID offences to be INDICTABLE offences for purposes of assessing the admissibility of Foreign Nationals. Even when the prosecution and final disposition are summary and not by indictment. Again, the reasoning underlying this approach is that the hybrid offence can be prosecuted by indictment and therefore it is an indictable offence, even though in fact the charge is processed summarily.

I do NOT know if the latter applies for purposes of the prohibitions applicable to grant citizenship applicants. I would NOT trust lawyers who provide criminal defense services to know or understand this (since for almost all other purposes, for purposes other than immigration, prosecution as a summary offence does not have the consequences of an indictable offence). Advice about this should be obtained from a competent immigration lawyer. AND it is important to obtain any such advice pursuant to a real client-attorney relationship. That means paying for it. Free consultations, for example, are worth little more than what you pay for them, if that.

REGARDING DISCLOSURE TO IRCC:

Obviously, the default approach favours disclosure.

Disclosure will NOT change what the appropriate outcome is. If the situation does not constitute a prohibition (per the law as applied pursuant to IRCC policy and practice), disclosing it will NOT have a negative impact on the outcome. It may result in some delay in processing, while IRCC ascertains the precise facts and makes the appropriate determination, BUT that is highly likely to happen anyway (since most arrests will show up in the periodic GCMS/FOSS screening, it is highly likely IRCC will take note of the criminal proceeding sooner or later, sometime prior to the oath, and make further inquiry regarding it anyway).

If the situation is one which constitutes a prohibition, yes, that will mean either the process is significantly delayed (it appears that IRCC will sometimes suspend processing, rather than denying the application, and then proceed to grant citizenship later if in the meantime there is a disposition which does not constitute a prohibition) or potentially in the application being denied. But that is true regardless. Again, it is highly likely IRCC will make the inquiries anyway. BUT perhaps MORE IMPORTANTLY, if this is the appropriate outcome, a failure to disclose it will have been a material misrepresentation by omission, which could result in a five year ban or even additional criminal charges.

Of course not every law enforcement transaction triggers a potential prohibition issue. Applicants are NOT risking much, for example, if they decide to not disclose a matter which is clearly NOT RELATED to prohibitions. BUT make no mistake, the failure to disclose material changes in circumstances is a misrepresentation by omission, which can have very serious consequences.

To be clear, the question is NOT whether the matter constitutes a prohibition, but whether it is RELATED to prohibitions such that a failure to disclose it constitutes the failure to disclose a material fact.

Item 16, lists circumstances or situations RELATED to prohibitions. Not every situation listed necessarily constitutes a prohibition. BUT the applicant is nonetheless asked and thus required to disclose any of the listed situations which apply to the applicant.

In particular, items 16.3. and 16.8 in the current application form, which are about criminal charges, are worded rather broadly. It is clear that these situations can apply to an individual in some circumstances which do NOT constitute a prohibition. IRCC clearly requests disclosure of such situations so that it can make its own assessment, applying its understanding of the law pursuant to its policies and practices, in order to verify the applicant is not subject to a prohibition.

Thus, if considering NOT disclosing the matter it is NOT enough to conclude the situation does not constitute a prohibition, not for the prudent applicant.

Process When the Applicant Discloses OR IRCC Otherwise Takes Note of Criminal Charges:

IRCC will typically request or otherwise obtain official court documents which will detail the specific offences and their status, including the precise disposition if the case has reached a final disposition. IRCC will then assess this information according to its policies and practices. As I noted above, I do NOT know whether the general immigration approach, which considers a hybrid offence to be an indictable offence (because it can prosecuted by indictment, even when it is not), is applied to citizenship applicants. I am confident that there is a particular policy or practice and that IRCC will assess the matter pursuant to that policy or practice; I just do not know what the particular policy or practice is.

Contrary to ranting from the cheap seats in forums like this, IRCC almost always (not perfectly) applies clear rules and will make the proper determination in these matters. While there are exceptions (always), applicants generally do NOT need to worry about arbitrary or capricious decision-making at IRCC. They will get it right.

Concluding Caution Favouring Disclosure:

IF the situation is one which should be disclosed (it probably is but I am NOT an immigration lawyer and I do not know for sure), and the applicant does not disclose it, again that constitutes a material misrepresentation. Bad. Bad. Bad.

So BAD in fact that it is probably worse if IRCC does not take note. As noted, it is very likely IRCC will take note and make the appropriate inquiry, but sometimes these things do slip through the cracks. If the applicant does not disclose it (if it is a situation which is required to be disclosed) and IRCC does not catch it, and the applicant proceeds to be scheduled for and takes the oath, THAT IS NOT THE END OF IT.

The failure to disclose criminal charges appears to currently be the most common basis for REVOCATION of CITIZENSHIP proceedings. There is NO statute of limitations. A year or five years or twenty years after taking the oath, a disgruntled colleague, an angry ex-partner (in business or romance), a hostile neighbour, anyone who learns the individual had a charge pending during processing of the individual's citizenship application, and who has a motive to inform the government, could trigger an investigation. And there is virtually no situation in which it is easier to prove misrepresentation, since the courts will keep the records for a very, very, very long time, and proof by official record is very difficult to overcome.

SUMMARY: If there is any chance that a criminal charge could constitute a prohibition or otherwise be one of the situations described in application Item 16 (in the 06-2018 version of the application), BEST to either proactively disclose it OR at least obtain clear advice from a competent, licensed lawyer who practices immigration and citizenship law (not just any lawyer; not just lawyers who will represent persons charged with offences).

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
At my test/interview/oath, I had to sign a paper saying that I have not had any new criminal issues/done anything to make me ineligible.
Yeah I remember that, too. But I didn't read the thing in detail so I don't remember if it specifically said "indictable offense" or just "offense". There seems to a major difference between the two when it comes to citizenship eligibility.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For Further Clarification:

(This is long and will take two posts.)

At my test/interview/oath, I had to sign a paper saying that I have not had any new criminal issues/done anything to make me ineligible. Full disclosure, I did not fully read it because I knew that I had no legal issues or anything. But my point is that this absolutely needs to be disclosed to CIC. I would call and ask how to report it
Yeah I remember that, too. But I didn't read the thing in detail so I don't remember if it specifically said "indictable offense" or just "offense". There seems to a major difference between the two when it comes to citizenship eligibility.
After my test the CIC officer asked me did u get in trouble with police or anything like that.
First, yes, for purposes of citizenship eligibility whether or not an offence is "indictable" makes a big difference. For example, a conviction for a Summary offence does NOT constitute a prohibition. HOWEVER that does not necessarily mean an individual convicted of a Summary offence is not subject to a prohibition. If the Summary offence conviction results in a sentence of incarceration or probation, the individual is subject to a prohibition for as long as the individual is incarcerated or on probation.

I discuss HYBRID offences, those offences which may be prosecuted by indictment or as a Summary offence, in my previous post above. I am confident these offences SHOULD BE DISCLOSED. As I noted in that post, I do not know, not with confidence, how these offences are handled when there is a prosecution as a Summary offence. Again, whether or not the offence is considered a prohibition by IRCC, anyone arrested, charged, or otherwise subject to a hybrid offence clearly SHOULD disclose this to IRCC.

The prohibitions are listed in Section 22 of the Citizenship Act (see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-7.html#docCont). Prohibitions are situations or conditions or circumstances which preclude the grant of citizenship. In particular, what circumstances or conditions specifically constitute a prohibition are enumerated in Section 22.

Item 16 in the current application form (CIT 0002 (06-2018) version) lists a number of situations which are RELATED to the prohibitions, and situations which might otherwise preclude eligibility for citizenship. Most of the items listed in Item 16 specifically constitute a prohibition. Some are only situations which MIGHT, but might NOT, constitute or indicate a prohibition.

Last version I have seen of the prohibitions form, which almost all applicants are required to sign attendant the PI Interview (the verification interview attendant the test), is substantively the SAME as Item 16 in the application, the format and grammar modified to be a stand alone form applicable to the context, that is, framed to ask the applicant to disclose if any of the same situations apply but as of that stage in the process. Some applicants, or many, or most, or it is supposed to be all applicants, are AGAIN required to affirm NONE of these situations apply prior to taking the oath (with exceptions, such as those who are scheduled for taking the oath attendant scheduling for the test and interview, the oath itself scheduled either the same day or within a very few days, who have thus just made this affirmation attendant their PI interview).

The reports in the posts quoted above are consistent with scores and scores of other anecdotal reports. Many, many applicants hardly take note of this aspect of the PI Interview, many only remembering a question similar to that here reported, something in the nature of asking if the applicant has had any trouble with the police or such. This makes sense. The majority of applicants, a big majority, have NEVER been in trouble with the police and for sure not since coming to Canada, so for sure NOT since applying. And in most cases the interviewer has very recently conducted the GCMS background query which would ordinarily show whether there had been any arrests while the application has been pending. (Will usually show arrests in the U.S. as well.) So there is no reason for either the Interviewer or the applicant to give the prohibitions form much attention at all.

As casual as the question is asked, it is a very serious matter. As I also noted in my previous post, the failure to disclose any situation covered by the Item 16 or the Prohibitions form can constitute a material misrepresentation by omission. This is serious, with potentially very serious consequences, ranging from being further prohibited from a grant of citizenship for another FIVE years to possible criminal prosecution, and if per chance the person is allowed to become a citizen, then there is the potential revocation of citizenship at any time for the rest of the individual's life. AND the failure to disclose a criminal matter NOW appears to be among the more common grounds, if not the most common ground, for commencing proceedings to revoke citizenship.

This is not something to mess around with. IRCC is NOT going to deny citizenship if the situation does NOT constitute a prohibition, so there is little downside to disclosure. If it does constitute a prohibition, it is far, far better to deal with that for what it is. Even if that means having to wait to apply again at a later time.

Situations Listed in application form Item 16 and in the Prohibitions Form:

Again, substantively the situations listed are the same in both Item 16 and the Prohibitions Form.

As noted, most of the situations listed specifically constitute a PROHIBITION. If one of these situations applies to the applicant, Section 22 in the Citizenship Act PROHIBITS a grant of citizenship to the applicant. IRCC is thus absolutely precluded from granting the application for citizenship. There is no discretion to waive the prohibition. (With possible highly unusual exceptions, although I am aware of NONE.)

In some of the situations listed, however, more information about it may be necessary to determine if it constitutes a prohibition.

For example, item 16.4. in CIT 002 (06-2018) asks if the applicant has ever been under a removal order. For a significant number of applicants the truthful response is yes, but that matter was fully resolved, cured, and does not constitute a prohibition. Best to disclose the prior matter and let IRCC conclude it is NOT a prohibition, NO problem.

For another example, both Item 16.3 and Item 16.8. in CIT 002 (06-2018) ask about charges or convictions for ANY offence OUTSIDE Canada. Charges or convictions for an offence outside Canada only constitute a prohibition IF it is an offence that "if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence" under Canadian law. In some countries the failure to pay a debt can constitute fraud. A conviction for this kind of fraud does NOT constitute a prohibition because failing to pay a debt is NOT a criminal offence in Canada let alone an indictable offence in Canada. Applicant needs to disclose the offence but it is NOT a problem.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
(continued from previous post)

Further Note or Caution About Obligation to Disclose:

It should be a NO-BRAINER that being arrested, or convicted of an indictable offence, or charged with any offence which potentially may be prosecuted as an indictable offence (even if NOT so prosecuted), while the application is in process, SHOULD be timely disclosed to IRCC. The signature box on the application (referring to CIT 0002 (06-2018), which is similar if not identical to almost all other versions of CIT 002 going back many years) requires the applicant to AFFIRM he or she agrees "to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship." Any arrest, conviction, or charge for a hybrid or more serious offence, constitutes a situation covered by either a situation described in Item 16.3. or Item 16.8. It warrants emphasizing that Item 16.8. in particular specifically references "or since you submitted your application," which of course cannot possibly be a situation as of the date the application is signed and submitted and can only apply to such a situation arising AFTER applying.

So, to be clear, the applicant has an affirmative obligation to disclose EVEN if IRCC does not ask again. Thus, for example, it would be NO DEFENSE if the interviewer failed to ask and the applicant was not required to sign the Prohibitions form attendant either the Interview or otherwise prior to taking the oath.

The procedures pursuant to which IRCC implemented more strictly screening applicants (as to possible prohibitions) attendant the interview or otherwise prior to the oath, including the requirement to sign the Prohibitions form, were implemented AFTER a Federal Court decision which ruled an individual had valid citizenship even though he was convicted of a very serious offence (as I recall it was either manslaughter or assault with intent to cause death or something like this) and incarcerated, for an offence which he committed and was charged with while his citizenship application was pending. The defense successfully maintained that the individual had disclosed being charged, that CIC/IRCC deferred processing for further inquiry, and then later proceeded to schedule and administer the oath, in effect overlooking the fact the criminal case was pending. That is, there was NO material misrepresentation by omission since IRCC was made aware he had been charged, and the applicant had no further obligation to, in effect, remind IRCC of the offence. Thus, even though this person went to prison for years for a serious offence committed while his application was in process, he was able to keep his citizenship.

It is clear, from the history, that IRCC implemented the required NO-prohibitions-AFFIRMATION attendant the interview (and, for most applicants, again prior to taking the oath) to preclude any such defense to an alleged misrepresentation.

Again, any criminal charges while a citizenship application is in process constitute a serious matter, regarding which IRCC demands an opportunity to evaluate to determine if the applicant is prohibited.

Which warrants circling back to offences which are NOT an indictable offence. Such offences do NOT constitute a prohibition (the applicable provisions which make indictable offences a prohibition are subsections 22(1)(b) and 22(2) in the Citizenship Act). Thus, being charged with or convicted of a Summary offence does NOT constitute a prohibition. BUT it is possible that such a charge might result in a sentence which imposes incarceration or probation. There is a separate provision, which is subsection 22(1)(a), that prohibits granting citizenship while a person is "under a probation order" or "is serving a term of imprisonment," under any enactment in force in Canada.

CONCLUDING CAUTION: ANY APPLICANT CHARGED WITH ANY OFFENCE WHILE A CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION IS IN PROCESS SHOULD CONSULT WITH A COMPETENT EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION LAWYER ABOUT THEIR OBLIGATIONS AND POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES.

OR SIMPLY DISCLOSE THE MATTER TO IRCC, IN WHICH EVENT IRCC WILL APPROPRIATELY DETERMINE (or almost always will do so appropriately) WHETHER THERE IS A PROHIBITION.

Describing the rules and their application, as I have above, is one thing. Actually applying the rules to any specific situation will often involve complexities which can be difficult to sort out. While many lawyers familiar with criminal law may competently assess the obligations and potential consequences for a citizenship applicant, many are NOT competent in this regard, AND this is too serious a matter to rely on anyone's assessment unless there is confidence the lawyer is knowledgeable and experienced in these matters.

As I previously observed: the default approach is to DISCLOSE. Anyone charged who is considering not disclosing a charge or arrest should be very wary of any advice that this is OK. Note, for example, this is NOT a scenario in which an applicant can rely on a Help Centre agent's response saying it is OK to not disclose. This is NOT a scenario in which any opinion otherwise offered here can be relied on. DISCLOSE or, at the very least, obtain paid-for advice from a competent IMMIGRATION lawyer.

Reactions: EstherBarros

Ola88

Jul 19, 2017
While my citizenship was in process I got charged with simple assault in august while I still had to do finger prints for cic. The police took my finger prints charged me and gave me court date to appear. I plead not guilty as my ex lied . Confused and was intoxicated the time cops arrived at the scene. I had no contact order and we were still hanging out and we argued again in December and I was charged again with breaking my no contact order they took my finger prints once again and held me in custody and then the judge released me next morning. I never hired any lawyer and both charges are pending and my lawyer will be representing me soon. Both charges the crown is proceeding summarily. Means summary offence summary conviction.

Questions ?
1. Do I tell cic about this or do they know ?
2. I was never charged in Canada or any other country for anything that includes my eligibility period for citizenship will this effect or deny my citizenship?
3. Does this make me deportable ?
Please respond if any witnesses similar situation before.

I applied march 2018
Aor april
July IP.
August FP request
FP sent August .
No updates since then.

Hello there! Is there a way i can contact you directly? I would like to ask you some questions