+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very confused, Getting lots of contradicting answers.

Jack_Scarlett

Aug 25, 2013
Ontario Canada (as a visitor)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I've posted on this forum a few times before, and gotten a lot of good help, however I've been calling a few lawyers for free consultations
and each one is giving me a different answer. I thought i would see what the people on this forum would have to say and any of your input.
I thank you all for your time and input.

I am a visitor in Canada (Toronto) from the USA (Phoenix Arizona) I am due out by May 14th, so I am seeking to get an extension so I can stay with my fiance.

I originally was going to ask Immigration for a 6 month extension so that i can establish common law, as an American needs to live with their partner for a total of 1 year.

I called 3 lawyers, Each giving me different information, and I truly don't know what to do when going about getting a 6 month extension.
This is what they told me:

Lawyer 1: told me to get a marriage license and show immigration, telling them I plan to get married in June after/if my extension is approved, and not to ask for an extension for establishing Common Law.

Lawyer 2: Told me as an American it will be VERY easy for me to get an extension, I can just go to the boarder and come back, or just explain to Immigration I want to spend the summer with my boyfriend (That to me seems like a watery reason to want to stay, that wont fly with Immigration) He made it sound like it's very easy.

Lawyer 3: Told me that getting an extension is near impossible because im not here as a student or work profession, and that I can not ask for common law because im only here as a visitor and when you are here in Canada as a visitor, "living" together for the 6 months do not count, and that Im really out of luck..The ONLY thing I can go for is maybe "conjugal" (I'm really hoping this lawyer is mistaken)

I'm really not sure which way to go about this, or if Lawyer 3 is true? Is there really no way for me to get an extension to stay for 6 months? I really dont want to have to go down to the boarder as I get a little nervous around the boarder officers, they gave me a bit of a hard time when I came here in November as my return ticket was set for 2 months later.

Anyhow, I thank you so much for your time and input. Hope you all have a nice day! :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Get rid of lawyer #3.. period.
Lawyer #1 seems to be advocating lying to CIC. Steer clear.
Lawyer #2 is probably the most sensible...