+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Verify that your photos for PR card are valid

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
Hey folks!

I read that many of the PR card photos are getting rejected after CoPR and CIC asks you to resubmit. This delays receiving your card for 2-3 months at least.

My photographer says the photos he took is according to the spec but I'm doubtful:
  • "from chin to crown of head (natural top of head)" -- what exactly is this? Crown is where the hair starts, or where the hair ends, or what?
  • "... with face and shoulders centred and squared to the camera" -- Does this mean my face should be in the center of the photo both horizontally AND vertically?
I'm going to do soft-landing and I really don't want to go through the hassle of resubmitting my photo 2-3 months down the road.

Thanks

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/photo.html

1. Crown is where the hair starts.
2. Face and shoulders centred and squared to the camera means that the camera should be placed exactly at the eye level. The photo shouldn't look like it was taken from a slightly higher or lower angle. This does not mean that face should be in the center of the photo. Of course the face should be in the center horizontally. But vertically it should be above the center. Hope this makes sense. Check out the link I have shared...they have a pictorial depiction for you to understand better.

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/photo.html

1. Crown is where the hair starts.
2. Face and shoulders centred and squared to the camera means that the camera should be placed exactly at the eye level. The photo shouldn't look like it was taken from a slightly higher or lower angle. This does not mean that face should be in the center of the photo. Of course the face should be in the center horizontally. But vertically it should be above the center. Hope this makes sense. Check out the link I have shared...they have a pictorial depiction for you to understand better.
Hello. Thank you for your response.

How much is their tolerance? With your description, my face is 30.5 and my face is 35.5 depending on where you EXACTLY measure the crown. Should I submit these photos or retake?

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
Also my wife's photo seems to be slightly cropped more on the right so her face is not horizontally in the middle of the photo. We're talking like 1mm. Pass or fail?

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
I don't think 1 mm here and there matters. I doubt they will actually measure...you seem to be fine with the pictures.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
Dude.. they play raffle with photozzz.. we had got photos clickd from shopper drug mart which one of ircc recommened and cert places.. as they u same photo software to get coreect pics.. but naa they accepted mine and rejected wive’s

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
I don't think 1 mm here and there matters. I doubt they will actually measure...you seem to be fine with the pictures.
Right. About the crown, you sure it's where hair starts? I've seen photo guidelines that says crown is basically mid-hair top of head.

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Right. About the crown, you sure it's where hair starts? I've seen photo guidelines that says crown is basically mid-hair top of head.
Crown is the the "natural top of the head". So if you had no hair ...then the highest point of your head is the crown. Some people have a flat head and some people have a more round head ....so it varies. As per what you've told me your picture measurements seem fine.

Reactions: armenaz777

tanzee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Dude.. they play raffle with photozzz.. we had got photos clickd from shopper drug mart which one of ircc recommened and cert places.. as they u same photo software to get coreect pics.. but naa they accepted mine and rejected wive’s
It's the weirdest thing. Got mine from a registered canadian photographer in TO. Photos were accepted for coPR, but they requested new ones just for the PR card, 41 days after landing.:mad: This process just never ends.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Photos were accepted for coPR,
At time of COPR they just see whether photos seem to be as per Canadian standards. Most photo rejections at this stage are for those people who don't read instructions and end up sending 2x2 photos instead.

but they requested new ones just for the PR card, 41 days after landing.
People have mentioned at the PR card stage photos are selected / rejected by a machine and not by humans and hence the high rejection rate. My guess is the machine (if true) is set for a very low tolerance limit. There was a post by someone where (s)he explained the photos rejection may be happening because of reflections / brightness spots in the photo and that could happen with oily skin or some lighting issues. That explanation sounded as good as any and hence if photos are rejected make sure that there are no reflections / shiny spots on the new photos.

tanzee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
At time of COPR they just see whether photos seem to be as per Canadian standards. Most photo rejections at this stage are for those people who don't read instructions and end up sending 2x2 photos instead.

People have mentioned at the PR card stage photos are selected / rejected by a machine and not by humans and hence the high rejection rate. My guess is the machine (if true) is set for a very low tolerance limit. There was a post by someone where (s)he explained the photos rejection may be happening because of reflections / brightness spots in the photo and that could happen with oily skin or some lighting issues. That explanation sounded as good as any and hence if photos are rejected make sure that there are no reflections / shiny spots on the new photos.
Ah, makes sense. I wish I'd known this sooner. I would've worn some make up for the second set ;)

tanzee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Does anyone have any recent information on how long it takes to receive the PR card after re-sending photos?

tanzee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Hi Sid, how long did they take to issue your wife's card after you submitted new photos?

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
Hi Sid, how long did they take to issue your wife's card after you submitted new photos?
Hmmmm my wife was faster as i had emergency and brought in my local mp... but same for my buddy it takes exactly arn 2 months