Med's Done....
24-Apr-2011
LANDED..........
16-May-2012
Good Day,

Facts:

1.) I am a US "Citizen"
2.) I entered Alberta (AB), Canada from the US as a visitor in January 2011
3.) I married a Canadian citizen in February 2011, we merged families (one kid each) - we have resided together in AB since.
4.) Applied for PR, Open WP, Child Study Permit and Extension to Stay in April 2011
5.) Received Visitor Record (extended to September 2013) in September 2011
6.) I own a 2006 Nissan, registered in Idaho, USA. I used this vehicle to drive to Canada when I crossed the border. This is my only vehicle and I only use it for personal reasons (driving my family to and fro, errands, etc...)
7.) Service Alberta states I must register my vehicle in my province after being in Alberta for 183 days
8.) To register my US vehicle in AB, I must export it from the US and import it to Canada - I am familiar with what this entails.
9.) To import my vehicle I must do a "Flag Pole" turn around at a border to obtain a Form 1 and stamp for RIV so I can do my Federal and Out of Province inspections - once these are complete I can take necessary paperwork to a registry, pay fees and register my vehicle.

Problems:

I am in the middle of awaiting my PR. I only have an extended visitor record that authorizes me to be here legally. I spoke to a supervisor at the Coutts, AB CBPA and he expressed to me that even if I attempt a flag pole turn around that I still have to either have documents to re-enter Canada (PR approval or landing documents) or I have to satisfy that I will leave Canada at the end of my visit. He also said that if I leave Canada (which a flag pole turn around is leaving Canada) I automatically forfeit my Extended Visitor Record regardless of the date it is valid to because my intended status here has changed based on my getting married and applying for PR. My intention is not to visit but to stay and live here (eventually becoming a citizen). So, of all border admission requirements, I cannot satisfy one - the one that would qualify me as a "visitor".

I cannot renew my registration in Idaho because I have to do that in person (and show ID and proof of residency in Idaho - which I cannot do either). So, I am at an utter loss of what to do. I just paid off my 2006 Nissan SUV and it is a nice vehicle. Am I now not going to be able to register it and drive it until I am granted PR? My husband has a vehicle but I cannot drive it because of insurance reasons - his insurance cannot add me as a driver due to my driving record being in the States. We live together, so any drivers in our household must be "additional insured" on the policy. My husband is set to be out of town working from January through the end of March and I will need to drive the kids places (like school) and take care of all household errands, so I need to drive my vehicle.

CBPA stated that the vehicle owner must present the vehicle title, US export and Canadian import paperwork 72 hours in advance of the vehicle crossing for importation. I cannot sell or gift my vehicle to a Canadian family member here because in order to transfer ownership in Idaho I must not only endorse the title to that person, but also submit and sign a form, in person, confirming the transfer of ownership.

My Idaho registration is expiring January 31, 2012. I can pay my registration fees online, however, I cannot honestly check the box stating that I reside in Idaho, nor do I have an address in Idaho to provide because I reside in Alberta.

I reside in Alberta, Canada (since January 2011) yet am a "resident" of nowhere - not Idaho and not Alberta. I must pay income tax in Alberta for the year of 2011 (for my US income earned working for a US company remotely from home), but cannot register my vehicle here or obtain a drivers license until I am granted PR... I must leave to import my vehicle but if I leave I lose my home and my family because I will not be allowed to re-enter. This would be devastating to our entire family.

I have already cried once. Being in this grey-area is very frustrating. I am trying hard to accept things as they are but things seem to continually get more complicated.

PLEASE, if anyone has good information, I would really appreciate guidance in regards to how this may be resolved.

I thank you, in advance, for your time and efforts.

Regards.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Here are a couple thoughts...

I renewed my registration and SC plates while I was "visiting" Canada online. Since I was not a resident of Canada when I renewed I had no qualms about checking the box confirming my old US address when I renewed. It appears that it is possible for you to as well without having to appear in person. See https://www.accessidaho.org/secure/itd/vehicle/renewal.html. Is that not correct or did you live in one of the counties not serviced online?

Check with hubby's insurance carrier again. I was in a similar position back in 2009 while I was here "visiting" and my car tags expired. I was able to drive my partner's car legally and was covered by his insurance because I had his permission to drive and held a valid driver's license. I did not have to be added to his insurance in order to be covered by it (nor did I have to have a Canadian license; I only needed a valid one).

You will also want to check with a tax professional experienced with US/CAN filing procedures. The US and Canada have a tax treaty and you should not have to pay CAN tax on US income (if you pay the tax to the US gov't) but you will have to file in both countries.

Woman_USA_to_Canada

May 7, 2009
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
24-Apr-2011
LANDED..........
16-May-2012
I was able to pay fees online, however they tags and registration would only be able to be mailed to my registered address (even though they have my Canadian address here in Alberta listed as a temporary address change). Fortunately, my family members were able to retrieve my mail from Idaho and got my tags. When it comes to my driver's license renewing, the supervisor at the DMV has granted me a one year extension via fax. This had to be done by phoning in and telling my story to two different clerks before being transferred to that supervisor.

I now have tags, will have a driver's license extension (which they will mail to my address here in Alberta) and peace of mind... which is the best part of all!

Thank you for your input!

Good day to you.