+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vehicle Export/Import/AES

Mrs.Redneck

Jun 25, 2012
My husband is driving his pick-up truck to Land in Canada. I THOUGHT I had all of the "finer details" covered then U.S. CBP changes their entire instructional phone message. Does anyone know if he has to have Electronic Export Info via AES? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

tabarnouche

Aug 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Request
--
Med's Done....
15-08-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-03-2014
I just called the border to see about my vehicle being imported -- they had me email a copy of the title to them and I received this in response:

Items required at time of vehicle exportation are:

· An Original Title.
· Vehicles that have no title, (ex: snowmobiles, ATV's, backhoes, forklifts, etc.) must present a registration and/or bill of sale or Manufacturers Statement of Origin. Registration and or bill of sale serves as proof of ownership (title). This requirement varies from state to state. It is your responsibility to determine what that state's ownership requirements are.
· WHTI compliant identification for yourself and all parties with you. Please refer to the following website for information on WHTI compliant identification: http://www.getyouhome.gov/
· Lien release if a lien is present on the vehicle. Note: This can be done by having the finance company sign off on the original title itself (along with the finance company's stamp) or an original letter from the finance company indicating that the lien is released. For those vehicles that are still being financed, you may present a certified copy of the title, along with an original letter from the finance company that states that the vehicle can be exported.
· The printed, e-mail confirmation including your original message to CBP.
· Third-Party Drivers must present a contract or Power –of- Attorney. Any vehicle that is not driven by the owner must be accompanied by a contract or Power –of- Attorney. Each respective document must include the contact information of the owner.

tabarnouche

Aug 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Request
--
Med's Done....
15-08-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-03-2014
Not to steal your post, but I have a question of my own in the same regard.

When I landed last week I didn't stop at the American side to declare my vehicle was being exported. I hadn't notified them 72 hours in advance so figured I would do that later and declare my vehicle on my goods to follow list. While going over what I was bringing into the country the immigration agent noticed my vehicle title and said, Oh! We can take care of that now even if you didn't notify the U.S. that you were exporting, just do that the next time you come through. Great! I thought. This will save me some time in the future.

However now In preparing to pass through the border again this weekend to declare my vehicle I realized that since I still have a lien on it though my bank, I cannot legally export it. Called my bank but they refuse to provide the necessary export approval letter. Further, since I have no credit history in Canada, the bank I've signed up with here is unable to help refinance my vehicle.

I realize that I'm treading on some shaky legal ground, but does anyone know if the lien provider will be notified that the vehicle has been registered in Canada? How necessary is it to inform the U.S. border that the car is being exported? I intend to pay off my vehicle, I'd just prefer not to have to put the remaining balance on a high interest credit card.

Anyone familiar with this?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
tabarnouche said:
Not to steal your post, but I have a question of my own in the same regard.

When I landed last week I didn't stop at the American side to declare my vehicle was being exported. I hadn't notified them 72 hours in advance so figured I would do that later and declare my vehicle on my goods to follow list. While going over what I was bringing into the country the immigration agent noticed my vehicle title and said, Oh! We can take care of that now even if you didn't notify the U.S. that you were exporting, just do that the next time you come through. Great! I thought. This will save me some time in the future.

However now In preparing to pass through the border again this weekend to declare my vehicle I realized that since I still have a lien on it though my bank, I cannot legally export it. Called my bank but they refuse to provide the necessary export approval letter. Further, since I have no credit history in Canada, the bank I've signed up with here is unable to help refinance my vehicle.

I realize that I'm treading on some shaky legal ground, but does anyone know if the lien provider will be notified that the vehicle has been registered in Canada? How necessary is it to inform the U.S. border that the car is being exported? I intend to pay off my vehicle, I'd just prefer not to have to put the remaining balance on a high interest credit card.

Anyone familiar with this?

You MUST export the car before you can import the car to Canada. They have only given you the necessary RIV form 1 paperwork to get you started. The US will not stamp your title for export with an active lien and without having your title stamped you can not import you car and put Canadian plates on it. If you get caught driving the car in Canada still on your US plates it could cause you some pretty major headaches, not to mention your US insurance is not going to cover you long term on this side of the border.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Mrs.Redneck said:
My husband is driving his pick-up truck to Land in Canada. I THOUGHT I had all of the "finer details" covered then U.S. CBP changes their entire instructional phone message. Does anyone know if he has to have Electronic Export Info via AES? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
All you need to send to CBP is an email with your vin number in the subject line. Once you have done that, wait 72 hours, then hit the border with the truck and they will stamp the title and such and get him on his way.

Mrs.Redneck

Jun 25, 2012
Okay, so I am now reading the confirmation e-mail that they sent me, FAQ, "I am a U.S. citizen moving to a foreign country and would like to export my vehicle, how do I file in AES? Answer: If you are transporting your vehicle and have an EIN or DUNS number, you can register and file by utilizing AESDirect or you may hire an U.S. agent to file on your behalf.
?????

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2014 ; reissued 21-05-2014
LANDED..........
planning for 11-06-2014!!!
Mrs.Redneck said:
Okay, so I am now reading the confirmation e-mail that they sent me, FAQ, "I am a U.S. citizen moving to a foreign country and would like to export my vehicle, how do I file in AES? Answer: If you are transporting your vehicle and have an EIN or DUNS number, you can register and file by utilizing AESDirect or you may hire an U.S. agent to file on your behalf.
?????
I was worried about that too but had no problems. If you read carefully, it appears that there is a grace period through October 2014 where they are not enforcing that new requirement. I just emailed my VIN and description, showed up at the export office and had it stamped in about 5 min. The hardest part was getting to the export office! Hope that helps.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Mrs.Redneck said:
?????
I was trying to respond to this last night and kept getting an error so I could not.

What I was trying to say was there was just a word document I was able to print out and bring along with me when I exported my car in March. I am not sure what this AES thing is about, but from what I read that is only if you are shipping the car, and I am guessing your hubby is planning on driving it? As Kateee posted, if they are not enforcing it, then have hubby drive the truck, bring along his passport or other form of ID and the title to the truck and head to the export office.

Best of luck to you on the start of your new journey! :D

Mrs.Redneck

Jun 25, 2012
Kateee, yes I noticed the whole grace period thing and we DO fall inside of that, so that's great, and do you mean that it's difficult to get to the CBP Export Office? Alurra, thanks for your info, I just didn't want to get that one Officer who may try to be difficult.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Finding the LOCATION of your local export office can sometimes be a challenge is what she meant, I think. I exported my car in Detroit but I had just entered the US from Canada with my car. So I had to drive a really rather discombobulated route to get back to where I needed to be to get to the export office. Just figure out WHERE exactly it is at your port of exit (or very nearby) and get the proper directions on the day he is to export it and you should be fine. :D They aren't difficult to deal with in the export office, unless you show up prior to your 72 hours being up, then they can be kind of mean, (don't ask me how I know this LOL) but otherwise, very little interaction to be had and they didn't even want to look at my car. Just the title and my ID and put a stamp on it. I was sent to the "return to Canada" gate and the guard that had to open that gate for me glanced at the title paperwork and at the VIN and sent me on my way. It's really very easy, it just LOOKS intimidating. The entire process from export to fully road ready in Canada was a learning experience for me, but it wasn't at all difficult to do.

I hope you both (all who read this as well) have a safe an happy journey and don't stress this too much. This is easy compared to getting the PR approval! :D

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2014 ; reissued 21-05-2014
LANDED..........
planning for 11-06-2014!!!
Mrs.Redneck said:
Kateee, yes I noticed the whole grace period thing and we DO fall inside of that, so that's great, and do you mean that it's difficult to get to the CBP Export Office? Alurra, thanks for your info, I just didn't want to get that one Officer who may try to be difficult.
We used the Lewiston bridge near buffalo and the export office is on the side where you enter the us from Canada. So basically, you have to cut across a bunch of traffic. Thankfully there were officers outside and they gave us directions. That's all I meant! It was really easy once we got there!

mjf2ks

Aug 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with not using AESdirect and taking advantage of the grace period?

I am driving my car to Canada in September and was very frustrated with the AESdirect system and was thankful to find this forum.

Any tips?

Thanks
Mike

chach

Star Member
Jan 10, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 2, 2013
AOR Received.
December 21, 2013
File Transfer...
December 27, 2013
Med's Done....
November 4, 2013
Passport Req..
June 10, 2014, IN PROCESS August 13, 2014, DM Sept 1, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Received Sept 5, 2014
LANDED..........
NA
mjf2ks said:
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with not using AESdirect and taking advantage of the grace period?

I am driving my car to Canada in September and was very frustrated with the AESdirect system and was thankful to find this forum.

Any tips?

Thanks
Mike
any updates from anyone? Anybody have to use the AES system?

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
No. Learning AES is a waste of time. I had a company do it for me. Cost me $65 and saved about $1,000 in headache.

I've posted a link to their site one time in another thread. Don't want to sound like I'm pushing their services...I'm more pushing NOT learning the AES Direct system.