File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
Couple questions here, say I am looking at purchasing a 2015 VW GTI, say i were to be approved for PR and import my car from Canada to the U.S i would have to notify US Customs that i am exporting my car, then contact RIV about paying the neccessary duty/import taxes on the vehicle? Would i have to change any of the specs of the car such as the odometer from Miles to KM before importing the vehicle, feel like this model of vehicle is cheaper than if i were to wait and buy it in Calgary when I do land, wanna make sure its not gonna cost me a fortune to import this vehicle before i purchase if i do in fact get approved for P.R. Thanks.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
jamsham12 said:
Couple questions here, say I am looking at purchasing a 2015 VW GTI, say i were to be approved for PR and import my car from Canada to the U.S i would have to notify US Customs that i am exporting my car, then contact RIV about paying the neccessary duty/import taxes on the vehicle? Would i have to change any of the specs of the car such as the odometer from Miles to KM before importing the vehicle, feel like this model of vehicle is cheaper than if i were to wait and buy it in Calgary when I do land, wanna make sure its not gonna cost me a fortune to import this vehicle before i purchase if i do in fact get approved for P.R. Thanks.
If you're sure you're going this route, be sure and purchase the vehicle before you land as a PR and cite the vehicle and it's VIN on the B4 declaration of goods at settlement time. Officially, I think you're limited to C$10,000 including car but they may still let the car in duty free.

A colleague here, a PR who is returning from the US after a two years absence, just returned with a car worth about US$32,000 I think that he owned just after a year in the US before returning, just completed his import back to Canada without paying a duty.

If you're going to buy a US vehicle and then import it into Canada, the sooner you buy the vehicle in the US, the better I'd say.