July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Hello

Assuming one had jobs in all these cities, which of these is the best to live in? I know Vancouver has better weather but how is the social, cultural life there?
I would love to hear from those who have immigrated to Canada or experienced any of these cities.

Maaties

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Having lived in Vancouver for the past four years now, I can say that this is a great place to be if you like out-of-doors experiences. With the ocean and mountains close by, it really does encourage you to get out and do things - walk the sea wall, bike, ski, snowshoe, kayak, etc. The restaurants here are quite good, although expensive, and there are plenty of cultural events as well. Public transit is good (I live in the centre of the city and walk or take transit everywhere on a routine basis).

Downsides include the high cost of living, large homeless population, and steady stream of tourists. Employment opportunities do not seem to be as good in Vancouver as in Toronto and I know a number of people who have moved back to the GTA to find employment. Then again, it can depend very much on what you do (for me, I don't care where I live, since I basically can take care of my clients most anywhere I live.)

Good luck!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
steaky said:
Isn't a steady stream of tourist is a good thing?
If you have a business dependent upon tourism, yes. But the street closures, protests, and crowds outside my condo in Vancouver for the Olympics, and the excitement of watching hockey riots is not nearly as entertaining when you watch it out the window versus watch it on the news.

Then again, one reason we have so many amazing things to do - sunset dinner cruises, 20 minute helicopter rides to Victoria, float planes to Vancouver Island, excellent restaurants, the ability to walk to the cruise ships, awesome fireworks displays, etc. is also why we have so many tourists.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's only because you live in the downtown area.

I used to live in downtown too. I remember the crowds in St. Patricks Day, BMO Vancouver Marathon with road closure on West Georgia street. I also remember people set up tents outside the art gallery staging occupy Vancouver and marijuana related activities.

But if you live in the suburbs, you won't experience such excitement unless you go there.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Thanks guys. I have been to Vancouver, but only for four days. Loved it. I do want the whole outdoor lifestyle (not that i am very sporty). I was in Toronto for 2 days and loved its diversity. I have never been to Montreal, but living in a space that is essentially a different culture might be exciting. I am currently applying for jobs in Vancouver and Toronto and will only move to either place if I get a job. Thanks for your inputs.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Maaties said:
Thanks guys. I have been to Vancouver, but only for four days. Loved it. I do want the whole outdoor lifestyle (not that i am very sporty). I was in Toronto for 2 days and loved its diversity. I have never been to Montreal, but living in a space that is essentially a different culture might be exciting. I am currently applying for jobs in Vancouver and Toronto and will only move to either place if I get a job. Thanks for your inputs.
Between the three (Vanc, Torro, Mont) - Montreal is tad less multicultural IMHO, but has a warm night life, vibrant arts & drama culture, very classy [mostly], superb architectural facade, amusing street-troupes all along etc. But tends to have a determined affinity to Francophones... if u aren't one - u might find urself out-of-place [mostly]... that kinda mars our opportunities [non-francophiles]! Which is why, ur choice between the other two is pretty much wise.

Qorax
Ps.: Good to have u back RH.

srana

Aug 31, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-02-2010
Doc's Request.
25-05-2010
AOR Received.
27-10-2010
IELTS Request
25-05-2010
File Transfer...
20-08-2010, update documents sent 27-01-2012
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
n/a
Interview........
Unknown
Passport Req..
Unknown
VISA ISSUED...
Unknown
LANDED..........
Unknown
qorax said:
Between the three (Vanc, Torro, Mont) - Montreal is tad less multicultural IMHO, but has a warm night life, vibrant arts & drama culture, very classy [mostly], superb architectural facade, amusing street-troupes all along etc. But tends to have a determined affinity to Francophones... if u aren't one - u might find urself out-of-place [mostly]... that kinda mars our opportunities [non-francophiles]! Which is why, ur choice between the other two is pretty much wise.

Qorax
Ps.: Good to have u back RH.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hey Qorax, Srana

Thanks for the reply. Hope you are all doing well. I definitely can't speak French so Montreal might be out, but would love to experience that city someday (in the summer).

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Maaties said:
Hey Qorax, Srana

Thanks for the reply. Hope you are all doing well. I definitely can't speak French so Montreal might be out, but would love to experience that city someday (in the summer).
Yep, been there twice and r planning once again while on the Trans-Canada route... the city is splendid [for a visitor though - if s/he isn't francophone]. The horse-carriage tour of downtown [especially if u could spot & catch Elena -- her horse is named 'Budweiser'], the Son-et-lumière of Basilica Notre Dame, feasting on the gyros, tour of the BMO-HO and a short trip to Mont Tremblant are ever calling !