+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal - Your experience wanted!!!

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi All,

Me and my partner just started looking seriously into moving to Canada. We are unsure which city to choose...

I would appreciate any input, experience, opinions, tips, etc.

Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal???

Many thanks!

Sophie

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is your status in Canada? tourist? Citizen? worker?

If you are PR or citizen, perhaps you should consider moving to provinces without waiting periods for health coverage such as Alberta - Calgary is a nice city to be considered.

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi Steaky!

Thanks for your reply :)

My partner and I are in the process of registering for express entry. We don't mind waiting for health care, so that won't be a deciding factor for us.

We will base our decision more on if we can find work in our respective fields, is it a vibrant city, cleanliness, safety etc.

where do you live? In Alberta?

Many thanks

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Steaky and I are in Vancouver.. (not together, of course ;D)

I can only speak for myself, we love it here. The weather, the sea, the mountains, food, drinks, lifestyle, variety of everything. Jobwise is perfect, too. So I have nothing against Vancouver, what most people say it is expensive, but that is relative, too.

But what matters is YOU. Your background, your preferences etc etc..

EmploymentOppty

May 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TeamBnB said:
Hi All,

Me and my partner just started looking seriously into moving to Canada. We are unsure which city to choose...

Many thanks!

Sophie
If you do not speak French, narrow it down to Toronto and Vancouver. I'd probably include Calgary to the list as well. From my own perspective, Toronto has more job opportunities for newcomers, but is also the most expensive out of the three.

imran364

Sep 8, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Pakistani coming to Canada in Jan2016 . i working as Accountant in Abu Dhabi from past 8 years in oil & Gas. so which is the best city where i can easily get job ?
Vancouver , Calgary , Victoria or Toronto ?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
imran364 said:
I am a Pakistani coming to Canada in Jan2016 . i working as Accountant in Abu Dhabi from past 8 years in oil & Gas. so which is the best city where i can easily get job ?
Vancouver , Calgary , Victoria or Toronto ?
Toronto is kind of full of immigrants. True it is bigger with more opportunities too. But in general i have seen people having more horror stories surviving there - i.e. taking much longer to find decent jobs in their own profession. Accounting is one of the professions with a large number of Canadians already.

So i would not suggest Toronto. Vancouver has the best weather, a good mix of every thing. But property wise it is most expensive.

Calgary has had good jobs (that is until the oil industry decline recently), medicals from day one (Ask some body how big a thing this is who has faced problems in the waiting period) and is pretty nice too, though cold.

Victoria is a small city. Usually people would mean mostly Vancouver when they mention it. I have only seen students going there who are admitted to the university there.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
...I lived in Victoria for a few years and I loved it! Moved for some reasons to Vancouver. I like it but it's not as nice as Vic (in my eyes).

I think it all depends on you and your lifestyle.

If you love a smaller community Vic could be it, but jobwise it could be difficult (small community = less jobs). And not to ignore since Vic is on the Island there are a few things to think about, like the cost for the ferry and what it really means to live on a small Island!

Van is really nice, it's expensive no doubt. If you move to Van and have to start with / live off a minimumwage job it could be very hard (and the fun is over real quick). I know many people who struggle, and some who came from Sask moved back because for them it didn't make sense to stay.
But also know many people who seem to be just fine.

Think about what you want, if you care about living costs or not.

What I like about Van is I live about an hour away from downtown, so I get the best of both worlds. I live close to the 'big city' but at the same time enjoy the more relaxed days away from the hectic of downtown.

Would I leave Van? Yes I would. But only because I believe that Canada has lots to offer and sometimes I think I don't wanna look back and ask myself why didn't you....

cheers, T-C

NewCan

Nov 9, 2015
Hello there,

I been living in Vancouver past 15 years. I love the weather here. Vancouver usually get snow couple of days a year and it melts right away. Vancouver is also very multicultural. Chinese, Indians, Philipinos are the biggest communities here. Mountains, rivers and parks every where. Housing is expensive because everybody wants to move here because of the beautiful weather.
Choose between sunshine or snow.

imran364

Sep 8, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vancouver is good place for small business like cafe etc ?

uxd

Feb 27, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2015
AOR Received.
01-09-2015
Med's Done....
04-09-2015
Passport Req..
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
6-11-2015 copr rcvd
TeamBnB said:
Hi All,

Many thanks!

Sophie
Ive lived in all 3 cities so i guess youll find my opinion a bit relevant. Although i think the choice of cities depends on ones personailty and what would one like to do in a city.
Vancouver: best city in canada to live. Amazing scenic surroundings. Great outdoor activity spots. High on healthy living and a perfect balance of metro and small townish feel. Job scene depends on ur bg. Id say not bad but takes time to get settle in. Lots and lots of rain. Negligible snow.
Toronto: full metro and big city feel. Wide roads and long commutes. Enormous traffic. More jobs and more immigrants here. Has more in city attractions or spots where u can spend time. Snows a lot and super cold.
Montreal: do u speak french? No french no job. Simple. Otherwise i would rank it second to vancouver. Young crowd. Ery european like feel. This is fashion capital of canada. Amazing night life. Lots of great food joints. Universities right at the downtown. There is a lot of fun you can have there at both indoors and outdoors.
There is metro in all three cities. I find the one in vancouver more commuter friendly.
If i had a choice, id move to vancouver in no time.
Expenses would be almost same everywhere. Sometimes yiu pay more on rent and less on food and sometimes opposite.
ps: im not living in any of these cities now.

srazi

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
I am a veterinary doctor working in poultry industry since last 6 years. I am moving to Canada next month. Which city is best for poultry industry? will i have to get a licence?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
srazi said:
I am a veterinary doctor working in poultry industry since last 6 years. I am moving to Canada next month. Which city is best for poultry industry? will i have to get a licence?
Yes, you will need to be licensed to practise as a vet:
https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/resources/examining-board-summary

Poultry industry:
http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/industry-markets-and-trade/statistics-and-market-information/by-product-sector/poultry-and-eggs/poultry-and-egg-market-information-canadian-industry/?id=1384971854388