+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver Settler Thread

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KoRnnn said:
friends, i have more question..whats the best prepaid card (include data plan) in canada? the one can provide nano sim for iphone as well...thanks
Do you have any specific questions about Vancouver and area? If not, I think you should repost this again in a similar thread in the settlement forum.

Anush Sargsyan

Star Member
Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
0113; 5125; 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
payment encashed 17.12.2014
Nomination.....
PER received: 15.01.2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
File Transfer...
Second line upate - 26.08.2015
Med's Request
December 08.2015
Med's Done....
December 18.2015
Passport Req..
February 15.2016
LANDED..........
By the Grace of GOD in January 2016
Hello everybody,

We have already decided to settle in Vancouver but the whole thing is that we have no one there. My only hope is the forumites to help us understand how we can settle in Vancouver. I am very happy to have found you here but I read something about "settlement forum". Is it some other forum where the settlers talk to each other?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anush Sargsyan said:
Hello everybody,

We have already decided to settle in Vancouver but the whole thing is that we have no one there. My only hope is the forumites to help us understand how we can settle in Vancouver. I am very happy to have found you here but I read something about "settlement forum". Is it some other forum where the settlers talk to each other?
Settlement topics:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/settlement-issues-b14.0/

Singlemum_chennai

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-03-2018
Doc's Request.
13-03-2018
AOR Received.
13-03-2018
Med's Request
13-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-03-2018
Hi Guys,

I have a question and I thought i would try my luck here. I am single mother with two kids and with god grace I got the PR of Canada. Initially when I submitted my application I mentioned that I want to land in Toronto but situation has changed over the course of one year and now I am thinking of landing in Vancouver. My brother lives in Seattle so it would be easy for me in my initial days.

Could you please advise me that is that ok to land in British Columbia when my application said I would be landing in Toronto, Ontario? If yes, could any one share their landing experience in Vancouver?

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Singlemum_chennai said:
Hi Guys,

I have a question and I thought i would try my luck here. I am single mother with two kids and with god grace I got the PR of Canada. Initially when I submitted my application I mentioned that I want to land in Toronto but situation has changed over the course of one year and now I am thinking of landing in Vancouver. My brother lives in Seattle so it would be easy for me in my initial days.

Could you please advise me that is that ok to land in British Columbia when my application said I would be landing in Toronto, Ontario? If yes, could any one share their landing experience in Vancouver?
Yes you can land in Vancouver, irrespective of what have you mentioned on your application (Toronto)

Good Luck ...

v_i_r_u_s

May 9, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Telus/Rogers connection is good for Data plan..but i am not sure whether prepaid package has good data plan..
KoRnnn said:
friends, i have more question..whats the best prepaid card (include data plan) in canada? the one can provide nano sim for iphone as well...thanks

Anush Sargsyan

Star Member
Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
0113; 5125; 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
payment encashed 17.12.2014
Nomination.....
PER received: 15.01.2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
File Transfer...
Second line upate - 26.08.2015
Med's Request
December 08.2015
Med's Done....
December 18.2015
Passport Req..
February 15.2016
LANDED..........
By the Grace of GOD in January 2016
Dear Arman79,
+1 to you for your very supportive attitude in the forum. Please believe that the forumites really need it.

arman79 said:
Yes you can land in Vancouver, irrespective of what have you mentioned on your application (Toronto)

Good Luck ...

1-2-b-come

Mar 24, 2011
Hello colleagues,

we (family) are moving to Vancouver very soon (already have PR), but want to be ready with some details:

1. to open bank accounts and apply for credit cards, we will probably need to provide home address. Initially we will stay in a hotel until finding permanent address, so how to resolve this situation? I assume, the address will be required also for application for Health Care and MSP ? Not sure how to resolve this. Please help

2. Our baby was born outside Canada in 2015. and does not have a PR. We don't need visa to enter Canada, but how to get her the PR status after coming to Vancouver?? Also, is it possible to request health care for her, even if she is not yet the PR?

3. Is it difficult to rent a home in Vancouver while being unemployed and with small children?

4. During the first few weeks we plan to apply for healthcare, get credit cards, search for a home and good school for our child. Is there any other advice on priorities we should target in Vancouver at this very initial stage??

Please help with advice, as our travel is VERY close. :eek:

Thanks a lot friends!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1-2-b-come said:
2. Our baby was born outside Canada in 2015. and does not have a PR. We don't need visa to enter Canada, but how to get her the PR status after coming to Vancouver?? Also, is it possible to request health care for her, even if she is not yet the PR?
Although visa exempted, you will still need to sign up with ETA otherwise the airline probably would not allow you to check in and board the plane (if you plan to fly after this march)!

As for getting your daughter PR status, you will need to sponsor her to become a landed immigrant first. Read more in the CIC website. You can complete the papers and send the information to them once you or your wife return to Canada.

sarkes01

Apr 19, 2012
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 Aug'14
AOR Received.
17 Dec'14
File Transfer...
26Jan'15
Med's Request
05 Jan'15
Med's Done....
06 Jan'15
v_i_r_u_s said:
Hi All Vancouver Settler

What about a meetup?

Can we meet for a coffee during the weekend?
Hiya bhi
Kamon achan? After completed my MR then i am surfing this thread. Suddenly saw your post and confirm that you landed in Vancouver . However I am also mentioned Vancouver in my application so it's good to know that you are is there. How is living expense and job situation would you please let me know.

KoRnnn

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
just came back from vancouver last week, overall nice place to live..expensive (absolutely), especially for property. job vacancies are not as many as ontario (toronto), especially if u're in IT field. crime rate quite high in surrey area, must go further to langley or mapple ridge to get affordable house. traffic is so so..but if u travel from north vanc to downtown, u must avoid peak hours, lions gate bridge is a regular traffic spot. food expense min $8-10/ person if u eat in foodcourt. hard to get cheaper price especially in downtown. hopefully it helps u guys to get better picture of vancouver. it might not 100% correct, it's just based on my 3 weeks survey there.

harryp

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
it's been asked many times on this forum but I'd still like to confirm if Indian bank statement is accepted as Proof of funds. I know some of you might suggest it to be in CAD but we can use debit cards issued by Bank to withdraw money in Canada. People who have landed pls post your views on this as Travellers cheque would lead to Forex fluctuations and other charges. I'm planning on taking a Balance certificate fromy my Bank with Balance shown in CAD on bank letterhead.

KoRnnn

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
foreign bank statement is not acceptable. They need certain amount of money which can be used in canada during your initial landing and so on. either bank draft or cash would be the easiest way to satisfy them. please double check again, i might be wrong.

harryp

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
KoRnnn said:
foreign bank statement is not acceptable. They need certain amount of money which can be used in canada during your initial landing and so on. either bank draft or cash would be the easiest way to satisfy them. please double check again, i might be wrong.
we can use this money in Canada by withdrawing from any ATM or using the debit card at any POS

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harryp said:
we can use this money in Canada by withdrawing from any ATM or using the debit card at any POS
But not all airports in Canada has banking machines available for you to use your debit card and show them.