14/05/2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Will be 09/05/2016
Thank you so much v_i_r_u_s for starting this thread - it's a great idea!

I will also be landing and settling in Vancouver. I will be flying out in May next year with my cat Lilly. Very excited but also finding it stressful with so much to do. This thread is fantastic, and I think will help us all.

Arman79 - wow thank you so much for taking so much time out to answer everyone's questions and providing so much useful information. It's very much appreciated! two of my uncertainties at the moment are around proof of funds and my PR card. In terms of showing proof of funds, I had planned to open an account with TD prior to landing and then use a bank statement of my TD account to show proof of funds, with the remainder of my money in cash and travellers cheques but it sounds as though a bank statement may not be accepted as proof of funds at the airport is that correct to your knowledge?

Also when I land I am planning to rent an apartment thru airbnb while I look for a permenant rental, which means I won't have a permanent address to provide for my PR card. Do you know if I can provide a permanent address at a later date or request my PR card at a later date rather than when I land?

Also GariKam I will check out your website :) I have recently started a blog to document my journey to Vancouver and share information that I gather.

Gemma xo

v_i_r_u_s said:
Hi All,

I have opened this thread to make this a common platform for all who are going to settle in Vancouver and also those who have already landed / settled in Vancouver.

Please share all the useful info here related to the followings:

Settlement
Housing
Health care (MSP)
Transportation
Banking
child care / schooling
Community Centers
Education
Career
Driving license
Landing experience
Etc

Some of the useful links I found out are mentioned below:

Housing/Furniture/Cars/Jobs - http://vancouver.craigslist.ca , http://www.kijiji.ca/h-vancouver
Healthcare - http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents
Driving License - http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Pages/Default.aspx
Career - www.workbc.ca
Childcare Subsidy - http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/subsidy/index.htm?WT.svl=LeftNav

Already landed immigrants are welcome to provide their suggestions and thoughts to make this thread useful

Good Luck :)

GariKam

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 2014
UCCB is a federal payment. It is a taxable amount and kids get it irrespective of income. it is a payment of 160 cad per month for kids below 6 and 60 cad per month for kids between 6 to 17

CCTB is a non-taxable income dependant amount for bringing up kids.

v_i_r_u_s said:
Hi Seniors,

I am a bit confused about Universal child care benefit and Canada child tax benefit? Can anyone share your thoughts regarding the difference of this two terms?

GariKam

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 2014
Also consider credit unions like good vancity..they are less stringent on maintaining balaces and banking is cheaper with them... however bankiijg with primary lenders like td rbc is good in the long run... Its a good idea to have an account in both...

arman79 said:
There are various options; Scotia Bank, TD, CIBC, RBC etc... You can visit each banking website and see the account plan and whatever suits you, go for it.. For my part, I have account with TD bank and I am satisfied with it...

GariKam

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 2014
Hi Arman
I am also in Surrey. :)
When did you land here? Whats your NOC?

arman79 said:
There are few websites where you can search online for accommodation;

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/rds/apa

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Gems2511 said:
Arman79 - wow thank you so much for taking so much time out to answer everyone's questions and providing so much useful information. It's very much appreciated! two of my uncertainties at the moment are around proof of funds and my PR card. In terms of showing proof of funds, I had planned to open an account with TD prior to landing and then use a bank statement of my TD account to show proof of funds, with the remainder of my money in cash and travellers cheques but it sounds as though a bank statement may not be accepted as proof of funds at the airport is that correct to your knowledge?

Gemma xo
Thanks for your appreciation. By the way which country will you be coming from ? I am just wondering why do you need to open an account with TD prior to landing and use it to show proof of fund ? When I landed, NO ONE asked for PROOF OF FUNDS, it was declaration card where I declared my money over $10,000 CAD. However, if you already have enough money to bring in, why don't you bring it with you when you are landing in the form of cash and travelers cheques ? Second, Bank statement can be acceptable as proof of fund ,in case bank account is active and in your name. (Same as when you submitted bank statement as proof of funds during your PR application)....

If you are coming for good, you already have plenty of things to do before you move, so I would suggest to be calm and plan accordingly and make thing simple for you which works. I am not even sure If you can open account with TD prior to your landing...In fact I called TD customer care to check for this information and she said "you don't necessary to be Canadian resident but you need to visit branch in Canada with yours IDs to open account with us". Anyways, I will advise you to bring cash and travelers cheque, Once you land in Canada, u can open bank account with TD... Don't forget to declare over $10,000 CAD.

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
GariKam said:
Hi Arman
I am also in Surrey. :)
When did you land here? Whats your NOC?
I moved in here for good in feb 2015, I am living in cloverdale. How about you, w u from originally and where in surrey ? when did u move?

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Gems2511 said:
Thank you so much v_i_r_u_s for starting this thread - it's a great idea!

Also when I land I am planning to rent an apartment thru airbnb while I look for a permenant rental, which means I won't have a permanent address to provide for my PR card. Do you know if I can provide a permanent address at a later date or request my PR card at a later date rather than when I land?

Gemma xo
You can give any friends/relative address if you know someone; Your PR application will be filled while landing at airport (Immigration Counter).

GariKam

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 2014
Bear creek area.. India.. :) March 2015... whats ur profession?

arman79 said:
I moved in here for good in feb 2015, I am living in cloverdale. How about you, w u from originally and where in surrey ? when did u move?

Subash

Jun 10, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Nomination.....
14-11-2014
File Transfer...
11th March 2015(2nd line on ecas)
Med's Request
28th March 2015
Med's Done....
01,April 2015
Passport Req..
7th May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
17th May 2015
LANDED..........
22-Aug-2015
Hi,

I landed here in Vancouver few weeks back and moving to Surrey tomorrow with family since finding apartment in Vancouver is so expensive. We both are not employed as well .Applied many survival jobs on line but everything went on vain. Can you guys help us out in finding entry level jobs so that we can manage daily expenditures at least.

I am medical laboratory assistant and my spouse is RN by profession. We both are aware of certification and canadian experience to get into the profession as we were in our country. Meantime,we are thinking to start something related to our profession and experience. Isn't it possible for my spouse to work as health care aid and lab aid for myself?

Guys,I am really seeking your advise on the matter. Anything else would you like to say...

Regards,

Gems2511

Dec 13, 2014
Yorkshire, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/14
Nomination.....
n/a
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
PER recieved 11/02/2015
Med's Request
14/05/2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Will be 09/05/2016
arman79 said:
Thanks for your appreciation. By the way which country will you be coming from ? I am just wondering why do you need to open an account with TD prior to landing and use it to show proof of fund ? When I landed, NO ONE asked for PROOF OF FUNDS, it was declaration card where I declared my money over $10,000 CAD. However, if you already have enough money to bring in, why don't you bring it with you when you are landing in the form of cash and travelers cheques ? Second, Bank statement can be acceptable as proof of fund ,in case bank account is active and in your name. (Same as when you submitted bank statement as proof of funds during your PR application)....

If you are coming for good, you already have plenty of things to do before you move, so I would suggest to be calm and plan accordingly and make thing simple for you which works. I am not even sure If you can open account with TD prior to your landing...In fact I called TD customer care to check for this information and she said "you don't necessary to be Canadian resident but you need to visit branch in Canada with yours IDs to open account with us". Anyways, I will advise you to bring cash and travelers cheque, Once you land in Canada, u can open bank account with TD... Don't forget to declare over $10,000 CAD.
Hi Arman, il be coming from England and looking to stay for good, if all goes well :) . By proof of funds I mean on landing my understanding is that without a job secured I have to be able to show when I land that I still have enough money to support myself. Also I will also be bringing a lot of money with me and for security I'm just nervous about it all being in cash and travellers cheques. The other reason that I had hoped to open a Canadian account ahead of landing is because I will get a better exchange rate as exchange rates are higher for bank transfers. Thank you for finding out about TD bank for me, it sounds like if I want to open an account ahead of landing it would have to be Scotia bank as I can open an account with them up to 6 months prior to landing and then take in my ID and PR card once I'm in Canada to get my cards etc. I was just not overly keen on Scotia Bank when I started my research on banks.

Gems2511

Dec 13, 2014
Yorkshire, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/14
Nomination.....
n/a
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
PER recieved 11/02/2015
Med's Request
14/05/2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Will be 09/05/2016
arman79 said:
You can give any friends/relative address if you know someone; Your PR application will be filled while landing at airport (Immigration Counter).
Hi Arman, thanks for being so quick in your responses :) I'm not sure what I will do in this case then because I do not have a friend/relative to have the PR card sent to. I can't be the only person who lands in Vancouver without a permanent fixed address yet and no friends / family.

Does anyone else on this thread have this problem? Or had this problem?

xo

Gems2511

Dec 13, 2014
Yorkshire, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/14
Nomination.....
n/a
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
PER recieved 11/02/2015
Med's Request
14/05/2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Will be 09/05/2016
Subash said:
Hi,

I landed here in Vancouver few weeks back and moving to Surrey tomorrow with family since finding apartment in Vancouver is so expensive. We both are not employed as well .Applied many survival jobs on line but everything went on vain. Can you guys help us out in finding entry level jobs so that we can manage daily expenditures at least.

I am medical laboratory assistant and my spouse is RN by profession. We both are aware of certification and canadian experience to get into the profession as we were in our country. Meantime,we are thinking to start something related to our profession and experience. Isn't it possible for my spouse to work as health care aid and lab aid for myself?

Guys,I am really seeking your advise on the matter. Anything else would you like to say...

Regards,
Hi Subash, How long have you been in Vancouver for? When I was on vacation there in June I met people from WorkBC (I'm sure they said they are on Burrard Street), they can help you with job hunting as they told me they help people find work, do CVs, Cover Letters etc so if you haven't already it may be worth checking them out for help. I'm being told to look on sites like monster.ca and workopolis, but that it's also about networking...are you on LinkedIn or any other networking sites?

Some of the other guys may have more information / advice but this is just what I have learned so far about job hunting :)

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Gems2511 said:
Hi Arman, il be coming from England and looking to stay for good, if all goes well :) . By proof of funds I mean on landing my understanding is that without a job secured I have to be able to show when I land that I still have enough money to support myself. Also I will also be bringing a lot of money with me and for security I'm just nervous about it all being in cash and travellers cheques. The other reason that I had hoped to open a Canadian account ahead of landing is because I will get a better exchange rate as exchange rates are higher for bank transfers. Thank you for finding out about TD bank for me, it sounds like if I want to open an account ahead of landing it would have to be Scotia bank as I can open an account with them up to 6 months prior to landing and then take in my ID and PR card once I'm in Canada to get my cards etc. I was just not overly keen on Scotia Bank when I started my research on banks.
Hi, I also had an option to open account at Scotia Bank prior to moving in here but opted out. I wasn't comfortable and you need to personally visit branch near to your location where you will be residing to get more familiar with banking options and better understanding... You can also negotiate well for credit card limits and type of credit card. Usually most of banks offer maximum limit of $1000 initially, but I negotiated them and convinced them to offer higher credit card limit which they did...

As I mentioned earlier, upon landing no one asked me for proof of funds and when you already bringing traveler cheque and cash, you don't have to worry about Bank statements.

Anyways, I will still advise you to bring the cash at maximum and traveler cheques. I brought my all savings in cash & had no issues and at airport customs officers treated me very well when I was truthful about my declaration. Once you land in here, visit local bank ...

These days Canadian dollar is a bit at low side, (Canada is still at technical recession according to local newspapers) so it is better if you start keeping an eye on exchange rates and start collecting/saving Canadian dollars with you.

Regarding Jobs :- In spite of recession there are still jobs in the market, it depends on your previous experience, qualifications and most importantly references. I haven't heard anyone getting job without references checks. There are various online jobs websites for job searching but I am afraid to say no one bothers to even reply until you are personally on Canadian soil. For immigrants, sometimes it is tough to get job as usually they look for local experience. Upgrading your skills with some certificates/diploma should always be in your mind to improvise your skills and chances of getting jobs. Still, references, contacts counts.... Volunteer contribution is also very much counted in here... Once you are in Canada you can also search for volunteering opportunities around your locality/town... It will give you some local experience and of course references... As of now when you have a job and not in Canada, the biggest advise I can say is SAVE MONEY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.....

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Subash said:
Hi,

Regards,
Moving to Surrey from Vancouver is wise option, as most people do the same. Surrey is comparatively cheaper than Vancouver... To be eligible to work as a HCA (Health care Aid) in any publicly-funded health care setting in BC, applicants must be registered with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry, same as for Medical Lab Assistant... Anwyays, keep checking online websites including craiaglist jobs...

Feel free to call me anytime , u want...

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Gems2511 said:
Hi Arman, thanks for being so quick in your responses :) I'm not sure what I will do in this case then because I do not have a friend/relative to have the PR card sent to. I can't be the only person who lands in Vancouver without a permanent fixed address yet and no friends / family.

Does anyone else on this thread have this problem? Or had this problem?

xo
Out of curiosity, I am asking you that why have you chosen to land in Vancouver when you don't know anyone in BC ?