+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity period of Written Travel Authorization

mathnmusic

Star Member
Aug 12, 2019
Received a letter of written authorization from the IRCC for my wife and child to travel to Canada, with a validity period of 3 months. Does anyone know if this 3 months is intended to be a limit on the duration of their stay in Canada, or does it mean that they have 3 months to land in Canada and then their stay would then be subject to the 6 month maximum stay as per their visitor visas?

mathnmusic

Star Member
Aug 12, 2019
Thanks. I thought the visitor visa allowed a stay in Canada of up to 6 months. Can the CBSA officer change this?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks. I thought the visitor visa allowed a stay in Canada of up to 6 months. Can the CBSA officer change this?
CBSA can issue any length up to 6 months. “Subsection R183(2) states that the standard length of stay for visitors in Canada is 6 months, but this is authorized and established at the discretion of the BSO at the POE.”

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/visitor-record.html

Reactions: mathnmusic

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Received a letter of written authorization from the IRCC for my wife and child to travel to Canada, with a validity period of 3 months. Does anyone know if this 3 months is intended to be a limit on the duration of their stay in Canada, or does it mean that they have 3 months to land in Canada and then their stay would then be subject to the 6 month maximum stay as per their visitor visas?
How long did it take for you to get the written authorization? I applied two months ago and still no response.

mathnmusic

Star Member
Aug 12, 2019
How long did it take for you to get the written authorization? I applied two months ago and still no response.
Applied December 4th, received December 15th. I suppose we were lucky. Did you get an auto-reply after sending the e-mail?

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Applied December 4th, received December 15th. I suppose we were lucky. Did you get an auto-reply after sending the e-mail?
Yes we got this email as well! Let me explain my case as your case might be different. My spouse works and lives in Canada (he has a work permit) and I have a temporary residence visa (I got it last year). Is this your case as well or as you a Canadian citizen? Thank you

mathnmusic

Star Member
Aug 12, 2019
Yes we got this email as well! Let me explain my case as your case might be different. My spouse works and lives in Canada (he has a work permit) and I have a temporary residence visa (I got it last year). Is this your case as well or as you a Canadian citizen? Thank you
It's the exact same case, actually. The only difference is that I'm the one on the work permit and I applied for it on behalf of my spouse and child, right after they applied for their TRVs.

What did you state in your letter/e-mail when applying for the authorization? This is just speculation, but I think what may have made a difference is your explanation of why the travel is essential. In our case, my spouse isn't currently working as we had a baby recently, so they are of course relying on me for financial support and child care. Feel free to PM.

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
It's the exact same case, actually. The only difference is that I'm the one on the work permit and I applied for it on behalf of my spouse and child, right after they applied for their TRVs.

What did you state in your letter/e-mail when applying for the authorization? This is just speculation, but I think what may have made a difference is your explanation of why the travel is essential. In our case, my spouse isn't currently working as we had a baby recently, so they are of course relying on me for financial support and child care. Feel free to PM.
I will send you a private message. Thank you so much for your help!

Reactions: mathnmusic

Gsingh2016

Star Member
Sep 18, 2020
Hi guys is there anyone who can put some light on quarantine plan I have got travel exemption letter as I am extended family member of Canadian pr I putted my siblings address which is in Vancover when I applied for travel exemption letter but now i am planning to do my quarantine in Alberta is that ok I have got house lease document and all grocery and other access for daily routine things.

Manaloto

Star Member
Oct 29, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Hi guys is there anyone who can put some light on quarantine plan I have got travel exemption letter as I am extended family member of Canadian pr I putted my siblings address which is in Vancover when I applied for travel exemption letter but now i am planning to do my quarantine in Alberta is that ok I have got house lease document and all grocery and other access for daily routine things.
When did you apply for travel authorization? And how ling did you wait for the comfirmation? Thanks.

AmanJhajj

Feb 26, 2021
Can you help me how to apply written authorization for my kids and husband they are in India kids have tourist visa and husband has work permit

A-Z

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Is there anybody here who was recently granted travel authorization? I'd requested TA via email and webform roughly 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from them :(

soheil_sb

May 4, 2021
My sister has requested about 9 days ago via web form. I am a Canadian citizen and she is going to accompany my mother as her caregiver to visit me. They both have visa but she just mentioned they are going to visit during summer time no ticket or specific time. I hope they approve.