+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

validity of work permit and spousal open work permit after leaving job

roger1726

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
I have valid work permit/TRV till May 2014 and my wife has valid SOWP/TRV till May 2014.

We have applied for Canada PR in CEC class. If my project completes and I need to leave my current job( either go back to home country or leave the job) will we allow to stay legally in Canada till expiry of work permit? I am on close work permit ,so I can not work with any other employer. If same employer wants me to hire again after some months ( before work permit expiry) do they need to get new work permit/LMO or based on existing permit I can work with them.

Can my wife continue working legally on open work permit eventhough I leave my job ?

Appreciate your reply and thanks in advance.

Patricia1221

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
1221; 1222
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2013
AOR Received.
04-06-2013
Med's Request
21-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013
You can stay in the country until your work permit will expire. Your spouse is eligible to work on a OWP. If you find new employer you will need another LMO.

roger1726

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks Patricia1221,

Just want to confirm it again- my spouse(got OWP as dependant of me) legally eligible to continue work on SOWP eventhouugh I leave my job? If anyone has different opinion please let me know.

IMMI_123

Star Member
Jun 11, 2012
Hello roger1726,

If you leave your job on 'closed permit' , Will your employer keep your work permit active? If your spouse Open work permit is valid until your work permit is valid.

roger1726

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
IMMI_123,

How can employer make work permit inactive? I understand that once issued work permit remain valid till its expiry date , it can not become inactive. Seniors please advice.

I have read in some of the forums that I can stay legally in Canada until permit's expiry date eventhough I have to leave job with current employer. Please correct me if my understanding is not correct.

roger1726

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Seniors,

Please go through below link ( similar to my query) and reply.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-open-work-permit-status-after-i-leave-canada-t119326.0.html

roger1726

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
I called CIC call center and following is their reply on my above queries.

- I can stay legally in Canada till expiry date of work permit even though employer terminate the contract. The employer cannot cancel/inactive the issued work permit.
- My spouse can continue working on SOWP even though my contract get terminated by employer.
- I can leave and reenter Canada within expiry date of workpermit/TRV visa.

I hope this information will be useful for someone.

Also on bridging open work permit-

applicant and co-applicant both ( added in PR application ) will be eligible to get OWP after getting AOR for PR application and current work permit is expiring in 4 months.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

roger1726 said:
I called CIC call center and following is their reply on my above queries.

- I can stay legally in Canada till expiry date of work permit even though employer terminate the contract. The employer cannot cancel/inactive the issued work permit.
- My spouse can continue working on SOWP even though my contract get terminated by employer.
- I can leave and reenter Canada within expiry date of workpermit/TRV visa.

I hope this information will be useful for someone.

applicant and co-applicant both ( added in PR application ) will be eligible to get OWP after getting AOR for PR application and current work permit is expiring in 4 months.
You leave Canada, your spouse's owp is no longer valid.

roger1726

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
PMM,

If I stay with spouse in Canada after termination of contract with employer , spouse OWP remain valid or invalid ?

frenchie

Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 31st 2012
Doc's Request.
included with application
AOR Received.
Nov 8th 2012
IELTS Request
included with application
Med's Request
Feb 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 14th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
LANDED..........
May 3rd 2013
roger1726 said:

Hi roger1726, concerning your statement above, is it something the CIC call center agent said ? I`m asking because me and my wife my need that bridging open work permit.

Thank you !

sud317

Sep 21, 2011
Hi Seniors,

I have a similar kind of situation.
My spouse is on a closed work permit which is expiring on Sep'2014 and
I am on a SOWP which is expiring on Sep'2014.
Presently both of us are working.
But there is certain situation in my spouse's company , for which (in the worst case) ,contract may get close by May'2014.
We will be applying for PR under the new CEC rules on April'2013.
The estimated time to get the PR as per CIC website by this is 13 months.
Now, our questions are, in that case
1.can we stay in Canada and apply for BOWP while we wait for our PR decision.
2.How do we extend our VISA in that case along with the BOWP.
3.Can we travel outside of Canada for vacation during that 1 year, or that can cause some problem when we would try to re enter.

Please share you inputs and views.As we are little perplexed on what should be done.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

CEC_2013

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Once you terminate your job then your closed work permit is also expired. Means your wife open work should depends on your WP.

How can it possible?

Otherwise, Person comes in Canada via closed work permit that first day will resigned or due to conflicts with employer then contract should be terminated after all, person can't stay in Canada until or unless need a fresh work permit with LMO or briging open work permit before 3/4 month when WP is going to expired.

Immigration office always mentioned instruction in work permit paper that person can't work with different employer unless or until u will get new job with fresh WP.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sud317 said:
Hi Seniors,

I have a similar kind of situation.
My spouse is on a closed work permit which is expiring on Sep'2014 and
I am on a SOWP which is expiring on Sep'2014.
Presently both of us are working.
But there is certain situation in my spouse's company , for which (in the worst case) ,contract may get close by May'2014.
We will be applying for PR under the new CEC rules on April'2013.
The estimated time to get the PR as per CIC website by this is 13 months.
Are your dates (years) correct? It's not clear why you are worried about work permits, when you would most likely have your PR by May 2014 (if your application is approved).