+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity of PRTD R-1 ?!!

Hou28fou

Feb 10, 2022
Hello
I applied for a PRTD for humanitarian reasons in July 2021, then I received the passport deposit letter in January 2022. After receiving the passport with PRTD with the code R-1 but the duration of validity is 3 weeks only, I contacted the embassy to claim this short duration of document which begins with the letter "G" they asked for my telephone number.
In your opinion, will they accept to give me a new PRTD with six months of validity? Thank you

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hello
I applied for a PRTD for humanitarian reasons in July 2021, then I received the passport deposit letter in January 2022. After receiving the passport with PRTD with the code R-1 but the duration of validity is 3 weeks only, I contacted the embassy to claim this short duration of document which begins with the letter "G" they asked for my telephone number.
In your opinion, will they accept to give me a new PRTD with six months of validity? Thank you
How far out of compliance with RO are you?

Reactions: scylla

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
Hello
They may extend the valdidity. Make stick to your point that you did not get passport request on time.what is your fault?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
Even if you get a few more months validity you will still need to remain in Canada to meet your RO.

Hou28fou

Feb 10, 2022
They may extend the valdidity. Make stick to your point that you did not get passport request on time.what is your fault?
Hello
I would like to have 3 more months to complete some affairs in my country then I will settle permanently in Canada. But am I taking the risk of not traveling with this PRTD and waiting for an extension that I don't know is guaranteed. I have requested an extension of my PRTD since few days but nothing new till now !

Hou28fou

Feb 10, 2022
Even if you get a few more months validity you will still need to remain in Canada to meet your RO.
Hello
I would like to have 3 more months to complete some affairs in my country then I will settle permanently in Canada. But am I taking the risk of not traveling with this PRTD and waiting for an extension that I don't know is guaranteed. I have requested an extension of my PRTD since few days but nothing new till now !

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Given that there is no specific amount of time for a response to your request for an extension of the PRTD, it seems like a significant risk to delay. Is the extra time, years after not being in Canada, worth losing PR over?

Hou28fou

Feb 10, 2022
Given that there is no specific amount of time for a response to your request for an extension of the PRTD, it seems like a significant risk to delay. Is the extra time, years after not being in Canada, worth losing PR over?
I have a child in school and I don't want him to lose his year, especially since it's exam time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a child in school and I don't want him to lose his year, especially since it's exam time
It's a hard call. The risk you run is that you won't heard back from IRCC on whether they are willing to extend the PRTD or not until after your current PRTD has expired.

Ultimately this is your decision based on your personal situation and the level of risk you're willing to take on in terms of keeping or losing your PR status. None of us can make the decision for you with regards to what to do.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Just realize that you were admittedly well out of compliance with your residency obligation when the PRTD was granted. If not used, and another one is requested, there is a high likelihood that it won’t be granted, which would end your PR status (absent a successful appeal).

Hou28fou

Feb 10, 2022
Just realize that you were admittedly well out of compliance with your residency obligation when the PRTD was granted. If not used, and another one is requested, there is a high likelihood that it won’t be granted, which would end your PR status (absent a successful appeal).
If I use it then I go back to my country and ask for another PRTD for later?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If I use it then I go back to my country and ask for another PRTD for later?
I refer you to my previous post (as just one opinion of course):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-hc-more-than-once.758374/page-2#post-9958262

What several posters here have pointed out (as I have) is that since you were and are out of compliance, were not even in Canada during your sponsorship of family members AND you weren't issued an H&C coded PRTD ...

...you are at risk. Going to Canada, departing, and then requesting another PRTD while out of compliance might be very risky.

If PR status is important, your best option is to return to Canada ASAP and remain until you are back in compliance with the RO.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
Are both the children PRs? When did you and your spouse land for the first time in Canada? Will your spouse also be returning to Canada? Have either of you ever worked or lived in Canada longterm?