+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid job offer for postdoc

Tuan Tran

May 2, 2017
Hello everyone!
I've got a job offer from a Canadian university for a one-year postdoc position. Given that this postdoc has a possibility of being extended up to the second year as indicated in the offer letter, can it be considered as a valid job offer for an Express Entry application (worth 50 points :p)? CIC said that since 2016 a valid job offer must be for at least one year from the date the PR will be issued.
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - this letter won't be enough. You need to obtain a new letter from your employer that specifically states they will give you a job for a year after your become PR.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Tuan Tran said:
Hello everyone!
I've got a job offer from a Canadian university for a one-year postdoc position. Given that this postdoc has a possibility of being extended up to the second year as indicated in the offer letter, can it be considered as a valid job offer for an Express Entry application (worth 50 points :p)? CIC said that since 2016 a valid job offer must be for at least one year from the date the PR will be issued.
Thank you.
CIC says a lot more than that -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

Since your work permit will be LMIA-exempt, you would have to (a) work for the employer for at least one year, and (b) receive a new job offer for at least one year AFTER becoming a permanent resident...

Osama25

Jul 13, 2018
hello,
I am currently PhD student and of course under study permit and i am expected to finish Fall 2019. if i got a letter from my professor that i will work with him after i finish as a post-doc for one year. is this considered as valid job offer?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
hello,
I am currently PhD student and of course under study permit and i am expected to finish Fall 2019. if i got a letter from my professor that i will work with him after i finish as a post-doc for one year. is this considered as valid job offer?
Pretty sure it's not. If you did not obtain an LMIA, you should have been working for this employer for at least one year while on a closed-work permit. I don't know whether a PhD position is considered to be employment in Canada (it is in the Netherlands), but as you're on a study permit you would not be able to meet the closed-work permit criteria.

Osama25

Jul 13, 2018
Pretty sure it's not. If you did not obtain an LMIA, you should have been working for this employer for at least one year while on a closed-work permit. I don't know whether a PhD position is considered to be employment in Canada (it is in the Netherlands), but as you're on a study permit you would not be able to meet the closed-work permit criteria.
Thank you for your help. but if i got offer with lmia and the same it will not start directly after i got the pr but it will be at specific date. does it work ?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Thank you for your help. but if i got offer with lmia and the same it will not start directly after i got the pr but it will be at specific date. does it work ?
- The one-year employment rule doesn't apply if you have an LMIA. Be aware that an LMIA is tough to obtain however.
- The job offer must be valid for at least 1 year after you obtain your PR. So this would mean you could get a PR in August, but with a job offer that commences in November. If someone else can verify if this is indeed true, that'd be great.

In short, if you get an LMIA and have a job offer with a specific starting date that is for a full-time NOC 0, A or B position for at least 1 year, it should count.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hello,
It depends on how you obtain your authorization to work after graduation.

* If you obtain a PGWP (open work permit), no, it will not work, unless you also get an LMIA.
* If you obtain an LMIA-exempt closed work permit (this is what most post-docs get), you would need to complete one year and THEN get an offer for another year for it to work.
* If you obtain an LMIA-approved temporary work permit, then it would be valid.

Note that a valid job offer is not mandatory to be eligible under EE, and you may have enough points without it. You may also be eligible under PNP programs, depending on where you study/work.

Josedi

Sep 26, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am postdoc-LMIA exempt with two years contract at a Canadian University.
1. My question is that, in order to get the score for job offer (50), should I apply for Specific work permit? or Having a two years potsdoc under open work permit will give me the job offer point?
2. Another question, for getting the point of Canadian work experience, should I wait for one year only? does the Canadian work experience also has to have another year of contract after getting PR?

Thanks,

AmirJalali

Feb 26, 2020
Hello everyone.
I am a Postdoc with a one year contract at a Canadian university and I have got a job offer from my supervisor for extending the contract for the next year. (totally 2 years). Also, I have one year of work experience as a postdoc at another Canadian University. So, the question is (for 50 points of a job offer) whether the work experience for lmia-exempt job offers should be related to the same employer who offers you the job or it could be with another employer of lmia-exempt jobs. I have only 3 months of work experience with my current employer who offers me the job. My current contract is valid for one year and I have got an extension for the next year.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello everyone.
I am a Postdoc with a one year contract at a Canadian university and I have got a job offer from my supervisor for extending the contract for the next year. (totally 2 years). Also, I have one year of work experience as a postdoc at another Canadian University. So, the question is (for 50 points of a job offer) whether the work experience for lmia-exempt job offers should be related to the same employer who offers you the job or it could be with another employer of lmia-exempt jobs. I have only 3 months of work experience with my current employer who offers me the job. My current contract is valid for one year and I have got an extension for the next year.
If you are on an LMIA exempt work permit, then the requirements are that you have worked for the same employer for at least one year, plus have a valid written job offer. Unfortunately, you aren´t eligible for the points for arranged employment.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

The requirements if "you have a valid work permit for one of the listed skilled trade occupation and it’s exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for the employer(s) on your work permit who is making the offer and
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"

hsnzfr

Jul 26, 2020
Hello everyone,
I have been working at my current postdoc position for about two years and according to my current contract I will be working with my supervisor for other 6 months. Now my question is that can I get a valid job offer for PR? Should I get it from my supervisor or the university? Since there are no certain date to say when I will become PR,what should be the end date of the offer?
Thank

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
I have been working at my current postdoc position for about two years and according to my current contract I will be working with my supervisor for other 6 months. Now my question is that can I get a valid job offer for PR? Should I get it from my supervisor or the university? Since there are no certain date to say when I will become PR,what should be the end date of the offer?
Thank
You need a letter from your employer stating that they will employ you for at least one year after you become a PR.

hsnzfr

Jul 26, 2020
You need a letter from your employer stating that they will employ you for at least one year after you become a PR.
I suppose by employer you mean my supervisor not the university. If so, the letter is just something between me and my supervisor and does not necessarily need to be effective. Is it correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I suppose by employer you mean my supervisor not the university. If so, the letter is just something between me and my supervisor and does not necessarily need to be effective. Is it correct?
I'm not sure what you mean by that.