+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid I-94 but expired H1 visa. Travel to Canada on visitor visa ?

arunsrivat87

Jun 17, 2013
Hi All,

I got my Canada VISITOR visa and I live near Detroit. So I am planning to visit Canada by road. But my US H1 visa has been expired and I am now on I-94. Can I travel to Canada and return back to US without any problem ??

There is some concept called Automatic Revalidation in which the CBP wont take back the I-94 card if visiting Canada and re-entering US within 30 days.

Did anybody try this ? Can I take a risk traveling to Canada only on I-94. If they take back my i-94 then I cannot enter US since my Visa is expired.

Please suggest and help. Thanks !!

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Arunsrivat87,

I don't think there should be any problem if you travel by a rented car. I traveled from Buffalo airport by rental car to Peace bridge across the border for completing my landing in Nov 2011. At that time my H1 stamping in the PP had expired but I had a valid I94. Not many questions were asked. Just the purpose of the visit. Keep your last 3 months pay slips, appointment letter, original I797 with I94. In my opinion, these should be fine. AVR will apply for up to 30 days away from US.

Good luck.

arunsrivat87

Jun 17, 2013
Hi Karthikeyan

Still not yet sure with the exact plan. but planning to travel soon. One of my friend is in Windsor so planning to just cross the border and visit him.. But I am just scared since my Visa is expired.. I asked many of my friends. All say that they will not take back the I-94.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
As far as I know, I94 is like a visitor record, which lets you stay in US upto stipulated date and when you leave US, you return it ( although in my 14 trips over the years, I never did when I was Indian Citizen ) for departure records - so technically you need to surrender it when you enter Canada and return to US will require visa
But at the same time, I know some ports know about this H1 validation thing and are OK with it but this is better to ask in US forum, this forum is pertaining to Canadian entry