+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid COPR holders travelling and landing with Authorization Letter during COVID-19

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
key words: COPR, YVR, Vancouver, AL, Authorization Letter, PA, Principal Applicant, Outland, Dependent, Inland, post March 18 2020, post March 18

Hi all,

My parents recently travelled from China to Canada with AL and valid COPRs. They have landed as PRs at YVR. I would like to share their experiences from pre-departure to landing as a reference for those who are in similar scenarios.

**DISCLAIMER: Their experience may NOT be representative. I am only speaking about our case. Please only read the post AS A REFERENCE.

Scenario
Me and my parents all have valid COPRs (issued Oct 2020, expires June 2021). I live in Canada with a valid work permit, while they live overseas. I am the dependent while my mother is the PA. They applied and were granted an AL, under the category of [unite with an immediate family member who reside in Canada as a temporary resident].

If you are interested in how we applied and received AL, I've also made a post here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-post-march-18-written-authorization-received-immediate-family-members-of-a-temporary-resident-in-canada.724139/#post-9334752

Pre-departure
My parents have prepared the following files for the flight:
  • Passports, COPRs (of course)
  • Authorization Letter w/ my work permit, my passport page, and my birth certificate
  • pre-departure test negative results
  • ArriveCAN submission proof
  • GAA hotel booking confirmation
  • FlyClear by Lifelabs Arrival test registration confirmation.
  • BC Provincial Isolation Plan Confirmation #
  • Quarantine Plan
  • BSF186 Goods to Follow (2 copies) (if applicable)
  • My father's medical surveillance form (if applicable)

Airline Check-in Counter
My parents flied with China Southern Airline. In addition to the routine document check, the airline also asked for a printed-out copy of AL and my documents (work permit etc.). Apparently, CSA, and perhaps many other airlines, does not have access to the "Global Travelling System" as specified in the AL, so I would suggest those to print out their AL along with detailed information of their relative in Canada. Notice, even though CSA didn't check for GAA hotel, some airlines might do so, as it is deemed mandatory by Canada.

Arriving in YVR
One of our concerns prior to travelling is that, since the AL specifies that they are only able to travel "for the purpose of reuniting with family", CBSA officers at the airport might refuse to process their COPRs and simply admit them into Canada as visitors.

As usual, my parents went through the declaration kiosk and were greeted by the first officer. The first officer checked the following documents:
  • passports and COPRs
  • vaccine certificates (if applicable)
  • pre-departure test negative results
  • GAA quarantine hotel booking information
  • ArriveCAN submission proof
My parents did propose for a hotel quarantine exemption, as they were both vaccinated. However, the officer didn't give an answer. Instead, they were redirected to the counter that process new immigrant landing procedures. There was only one officer, and my parents was the only group there.

The process was, in my mother's words, "surprisingly smooth", especially for someone who is not the greatest in English. The officer only asked some very generic questions before signing their COPRs, my father's Medical Surveillance form and the BSF186 form. He also asked them where they will be having their quarantine at, and where this other dependent (me), who is not travelling with them, is residing. The entire interview only took around 20 minutes. The officer then congratulate them and send them off to the luggage area.

Arrival Test
The test occurred after luggage pick-up. Since I have registered their test prior to their travelling, the entire process only took around 10 minutes. The staff asked them about their registration ID, which they've had them printed out, their quarantine hotel booking information, and their quarantine location after hotel.

Exiting the Airport
The only "not-so-smooth" incident of their journey occurred here. Since the most recent update allows international travellers to travel to their quarantine hotel via private vehicle and taxi, my plan was to pick them up from YVR and drop them off at the hotel, so that I can deliver some supplies for them. As they were exiting the airport, a staff came over and told them I am not allow to pick them up, and they have to either take a taxi (funny isn't it?) or take the shuttle. My mom then told him that they are driving to the hotel via private vehicle, which was allowed on the YVR website and the IRCC website, but the staff still insisted either taxi or shuttle bus. The staff emphasized that I cannot enter the airport to pick them up, which was weird, as my mother had emphasized that I was waiting outside. Eventually, the staff was convinced and let my parents go. It was interesting that the international arrival area was still packed with cars and travellers as always, so I don't understand how the staff didn't stop those travellers from being picked up by their families or friends.

Overall, the experience at YVR was smooth. The final takeaway is: print out all the documents to avoid any potential hassles. Also, don't afraid to speak up against any unfair treatment.

Let me know if you have experienced anything similar or different, as I am interested to see everyone's experience. Hope my post can be informative for those who are planning to travel to Canada :)

Last edited:

bebekeke

Aug 28, 2019
Great help!
My parents are coming to vancouver from Xiamen too and I am about to prepare the same documents.
My situation might be different. I am citizen so I believe there is no authorization letter needed.

All my parents need is photo copy of my passport and
Documents that show your relationship to that person
Examples of documents include
  • a marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (documents showing a shared address)
  • a birth certificate
  • a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for one of the following:
    • the family class (the COPR category under Application Details will be FC)
    • the one-year window of opportunity provision (coded OYW under Special Program)
  • other documents that show an immediate family connection, for example
    • correspondence from us showing a spousal sponsorship application in progress
    • documents that show a shared home address

Since I sponsored my parents so the application is 100% family class. However it does not say family class on the COPR my parents received. So would they still be able to just use the COPR as the document to show the relationship?

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Great help!
My parents are coming to vancouver from Xiamen too and I am about to prepare the same documents.
My situation might be different. I am citizen so I believe there is no authorization letter needed.

All my parents need is photo copy of my passport and
Documents that show your relationship to that person
Examples of documents include
  • a marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (documents showing a shared address)
  • a birth certificate
  • a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for one of the following:
    • the family class (the COPR category under Application Details will be FC)
    • the one-year window of opportunity provision (coded OYW under Special Program)
  • other documents that show an immediate family connection, for example
    • correspondence from us showing a spousal sponsorship application in progress
    • documents that show a shared home address

Since I sponsored my parents so the application is 100% family class. However it does not say family class on the COPR my parents received. So would they still be able to just use the COPR as the document to show the relationship?
Glad to hear that!

From what I understand, as long as they can show a proof of relationship (birth certificate), they should have no problem either at the checkin counter or at the immigration counter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Glad to hear that!

From what I understand, as long as they can show a proof of relationship (birth certificate), they should have no problem either at the checkin counter or at the immigration counter.
Did they not encounter issues since they are not landing in Quebec?

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Did they not encounter issues since they are not landing in Quebec?
No. We actually have our tickets to Quebec printed out along with a letter explaining how theres no direct flight from my city to Quebec. The officer didnt ask any question about it, however.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. We actually have our tickets to Quebec printed out along with a letter explaining how theres no direct flight from my city to Quebec. The officer didnt ask any question about it, however.
So you will be travelling to live in Quebec after quarantine?

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
So you will be travelling to live in Quebec after quarantine?
We planned to travel after the quarantine, but many things didn't go the way we expected, so the move did not happen. We are planning to return to our country of origin and come back to Canada later when the pandemic is eased.