+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

vacation and application submission

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
hi guys,

i was planning on submitting my application mid April, im eligible to apply around April 15 n im in ottawa, i also have to travel for almost 3 months this year from aug to nov, im wondering should i jst apply when m back in canada?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
hi guys,

i was planning on submitting my application mid April, im eligible to apply around April 15 n im in ottawa, i also have to travel for almost 3 months this year from aug to nov, im wondering should i jst apply when m back in canada?
First, never apply on the very first day you are eligible but wait at least two weeks or so to have some buffer in residency days.

Also, if you apply in April, it is quite likely that your interview and test and (if you get processed rather fast) even your oath might be scheduled during the months of August to November. You can reschedule some of these, but this will add to your processing time and also I'm not sure that they will wait a full three months for you.

So I would say you should only apply in April if you can:
- make sure that someone is regularily checking your mail for you
- arrange to travel to Canada on rather short notice (2-3 weeks at best) for the interview/test or oath

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
hi guys,

Add a few more weeks of buffer, to make sure you have some leeway (and avoid close scrutiny because you applied with exactly 1095 days or the risk you forgot about a day-trip or so and get your application returned), which means you can apply sometime in May.

Right now it seems many of the Ottawa applicants get their invitation for the test something like 4 months after applying (but there's quite a bit of variability in that), which would make it August for a likely test date... which is right when you're traveling.

(Even if we assume you get an early test date you'd still have to wait for the citizenship ceremony. And even if that's early, you'd then have to apply for a passport urgently, because as a citizen you have to use a Canadian passport to travel to Canada.)

So yeah, as spyfy says, you either have to make sure someone can check your mail and that you can make it to Canada on very short notice or you'd end up having to reschedule things. And if you get a request for additional information you'd have to provide that without delay in any case, so you may not be able to avoid a rush trip back to Canada should that happen.

If I were in your case I'd just wait. It's your call, though.

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
yeah i think its best to wait ..im getting married n i will be on my honey moon lol i dont want to be worried abt this when im overseas..n the reason y i sd i m thinking to apply around april 15 is bcz i became a PR on april 12 2016 actually but i have been in Canada before that 4 yrs as a diplomat n then 2 yrs on study permit n 3 yrs on work permit n i only travelled back home twice for almost 2 months on each visit so overall i have been in canada for 11 yrs n a month now lol

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
so in the last 5 yrs i have travelled only once for almost 2 months n i can have someone chk my mail regularly but idk if i request to reschedule how would that work with cic ..m not in a rush so i guess i can have everything ready n once m back i can send my application right away.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
yeah i think its best to wait ..im getting married n i will be on my honey moon lol i dont want to be worried abt this when im overseas..n the reason y i sd i m thinking to apply around april 15 is bcz i became a PR on april 12 2016 actually but i have been in Canada before that 4 yrs as a diplomat n then 2 yrs on study permit n 3 yrs on work permit n i only travelled back home twice for almost 2 months on each visit so overall i have been in canada for 11 yrs n a month now lol
When were you a diplomat?

If right before becoming a PR you were a diplomat for 4 years, then you would not meet the residency requirement (until some time April next year).
If in the years right before becoming a PR you were on a work or study permit, you would meet the residency requirement.

It sounds like gathering all the documents so you can send them in right when you're back from your trip seems like the easiest solution. That way there's no need to stress about documents or appointments while you're on your honeymoon. Happy travels!

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
well i should say my dad was a diplomat n so i was under his status as a diplomat as well. i came to Canada initially as diplomat when i was 15 n then after 4 yrs when his trip was over in Canada he went back n i stayed here on study permit n then from there got a post graduate work permit n applied for PR

but when i come back after getting married i have to fill in my papers as married under martial status i guess even though my spouse is non resident ..

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
well i should say my dad was a diplomat n so i was under his status as a diplomat as well. i came to Canada initially as diplomat when i was 15 n then after 4 yrs when his trip was over in Canada he went back n i stayed here on study permit n then from there got a post graduate work permit n applied for PR

but when i come back after getting married i have to fill in my papers as married under martial status i guess even though my spouse is non resident ..
Sounds like you'll be all good to go, then, once you're back from your trip.

As far as I can tell, IRCC doesn't ask about your marital status, so unless you're changing your surname there's no change to anything in the application form.

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
Sounds like you'll be all good to go, then, once you're back from your trip.

As far as I can tell, IRCC doesn't ask about your marital status, so unless you're changing your surname there's no change to anything in the application form.
really..someone told me the other way around :s..bcz if i get married n then write im single isnt that false information

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
really..someone told me the other way around :s..bcz if i get married n then write im single isnt that false information
If they ask you should tell them, but I don't believe they ask. At a glance there's no question about marital status on the citizenship application.