+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

V-1 or SX-1?

jucadrp

Sep 20, 2013
Hi everyone! I really could use some help here, I'm desperate.

Me and my wife decided to stay for a month (december-2013) in Canada. We applied to a Canada visa and we said on IMM5257E that our Purpose of visit to Canada was TOURISM. We received a V-1 Multiple TRV.

Some months ago we decided to stay to study English too. We arranged everything and we've boarding in September-24, pretending to do the same trip planned before, but with two periods of English classes from October-7 to December-6 and from January-6 to March-7.

I tough that we didn't need any changes on our visa, but, yesterday someone said that exist and specific visa fto study less than six months, the SX-1.

Someone can please state if its really necessary to have a SX-1 to our plans or the V-1 should be fine?

Thanks in advance.

~Evandro.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not an expert, but I think it would be fine that you can study without any change in your visa. You can always verify with the CIC help centre. This might be helpful:

[quote author=http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp]
Courses that do not require a study permit

Generally, a study permit is not required for:

attending nursery schools or kindergarten.
distance learning.
audit courses (where a student is permitted to attend an academic course without obtaining credit for it).
taking courses include in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists.
following a course which is not academic, professional or vocational in nature that can be completed within the period authorized upon entry into Canada.
following a course or a program of study which is six (6) months or less that can be completed within the period authorized upon entry into Canada.
[/quote]

jucadrp

Sep 20, 2013
steaky said:
I'm not an expert, but I think it would be fine that you can study without any change in your visa. You can always verify with the CIC help centre. This might be helpful:
Thanks a lot steaky. SX-1 still a visitor visa and not a Study Permit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She doesn't need a study permit. SX-1 is a different class of visitor visa especially for a student who is exempt for a study permit. I do not think you need to change her status. As a layman, a visit visa is a visit visa and you shouldn't have to worry about whether it's called V or SX.

However, if you want to make sure, you should call CIC and ask them.

teymeny

Apr 10, 2015
Hello,

Can you share what happened in your case please? Did you have to change your visa?

Thank you.

amerian

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2011
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
14-04-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application 7.0 Bands
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Request
16-06-2014
Med's Done....
30-06-2014
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
PPR1 (17-07-2014) PPR2 (11-08-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014 (Recieved on 23-08-2014)
LANDED..........
Very soon
jucadrp said:
Hi everyone! I really could use some help here, I'm desperate.

Me and my wife decided to stay for a month (december-2013) in Canada. We applied to a Canada visa and we said on IMM5257E that our Purpose of visit to Canada was TOURISM. We received a V-1 Multiple TRV.

Some months ago we decided to stay to study English too. We arranged everything and we've boarding in September-24, pretending to do the same trip planned before, but with two periods of English classes from October-7 to December-6 and from January-6 to March-7.

I tough that we didn't need any changes on our visa, but, yesterday someone said that exist and specific visa fto study less than six months, the SX-1.

Someone can please state if its really necessary to have a SX-1 to our plans or the V-1 should be fine?

Thanks in advance.

~Evandro.
SX1 visa a study permit, to study English normally and work is not allowed, but as far as I understand your question, if you are on visit visa and intending to study English, its perfectly fine, until that course is well within the duration of your allowed stay in Canada (normally six months) but if your course is more than six months you need to apply for study permit. Purely my opinion not a legal advice so shall not be liable.

maishou

May 1, 2015
"As noted in Section 2.4, data on this population is only available for countries where visas are required. In addition, some visa offices reportedly do not always code short-term study visas (SX-1) as students but instead as visitors, thus possibly under representing the total population." E3-2013-ISP.pdf, in CIC's website.

Misilaso

Jul 20, 2019
Hello could you solve it? Is have the same question PLEASE . Can I study in Canada for two months with a V1 visa?