+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using Whatsapp for Proof of Relationship

Eli51

Jan 28, 2015
I would like to use whatsapp as part of the texts I am going to send as proof of relationship. The question is if I email the chat to myself so I can print it out from my computer it comes out as a word pad document with nothing showing thats its a whatsapp document. Therefore I would like to please know is there a way I can print out this document so that CPP Ottawa knows if a whatsapp conversation I had with my wife?

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Eli51 said:
I would like to use whatsapp as part of the texts I am going to send as proof of relationship. The question is if I email the chat to myself so I can print it out from my computer it comes out as a word pad document with nothing showing thats its a whatsapp document. Therefore I would like to please know is there a way I can print out this document so that CPP Ottawa knows if a whatsapp conversation I had with my wife?
Print screens would likely be ideal.

ldzawa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
18-04-2016
Med's Done....
19-09-2015
Passport Req..
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-2015
LANDED..........
August 2016
I'm using WhatsApp as the primary proof of communication.
Honestly, making print screens is going to take forever. Also, it'd be impossible to get ALL of the print screens, given that my spouse and I both had changed phones, and even had ones that broke.

We only have the emailed version in a text file. By the way, even though it's a txt document, all of the emoticons are included.

I will submit the printed text files, along with a couple of screen shots as proof that they correspond, and a letter explaining what I mentioned above. I think that should suffice.

Any thoughts?

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Just remember that it's not all about chat logs. If you have a lot of other evidence, you do not really have to worry about it. Chat logs are just one example of proving the relationship is genuine - and it absolutely doesn't matter if it's whatsapp, text messages, iMessage or whatever.

Print screens may take a lot longer, but it's by far superior as proof. However a text copy of the chat logs are likely to be fine as well, and if they would question it, you can show the originals. But again remember, it's not all about chat logs. Make sure to focus just as much on pictures, trips, receipts etc, if not more actually.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Are you guys sending in full WhatsApp logs? Apart from the practical objections, ours are very personal at times..

ginsengsamurai

Jan 29, 2012
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2015 July 30 (Outland)
AOR Received.
2015 August 28
File Transfer...
2015 September 28
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2015 July 6
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt, 2016 January 7 [DM], January 12 [COPR received]
LANDED..........
2016 May 11
For us, we sent about 70 pages of Whatsapp messages and then about half a dozen photo-taken images of me holding my phone up, clearly showing a few of the Whatsapp messages on the screen. This way, whoever is reviewing our chat, can see the corresponding screenshots of what they really look like.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
I spent hours going through facebook chat logs, taking screenshots and adding to a word document. We had 1500+ pages to go through (over 5 years), I went through it all and selected one chat a month to screenshot. In total we added 30 pages of facebook chats, each page had 4 screenshots. Its time consuming for sure, but in my opinion it looks better than having just the text.

steph89

Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman/Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August/2015
LANDED..........
January/2017
i couldn't send my full whatsup chat full conversation .. it was over 3000 pages .. so i took a few days from each month and put it in the application .. i put a note at the front stating that it was over 3000 pages too ..and they haven't emailed or wanted anything else, but i gave so much more evidence as well

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
steph89 said:
i couldn't send my full whatsup chat full conversation .. it was over 3000 pages .. so i took a few days from each month and put it in the application .. i put a note at the front stating that it was over 3000 pages too ..and they haven't emailed or wanted anything else, but i gave so much more evidence as well
This is recommended.

Note that CIC considers chat logs to be "low priority". And they don't like being flooded with hundreds of pages of logs. There have been several instances where it was found that CIC simply shredded most of the pages without even reading them. You just need a few pages here and there and that's it.

steph89

Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman/Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August/2015
LANDED..........
January/2017
keesio said:
This is recommended.

Note that CIC considers chat logs to be "low priority". And they don't like being flooded with hundreds of pages of logs. There have been several instances where it was found that CIC simply shredded most of the pages without even reading them. You just need a few pages here and there and that's it.
:)

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
keesio said:
This is recommended.

I don't think that you 'need' logs, although if you have them, why not send some. As long as you have plenty of other evidence such as pictures, receipts etc I don't see why they would care much about logs. We didn't send in any logs and recently got a positive DM.

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
how did your applications go? my partner and i are also using whatsapp, skype, email and facebook messages as evidence. have any of you had feedback from CIC on what is required?

Reactions: Sophia16

Sceena

Jan 30, 2017
SamHom said:
Just remember that it's not all about chat logs. If you have a lot of other evidence, you do not really have to worry about it. Chat logs are just one example of proving the relationship is genuine - and it absolutely doesn't matter if it's whatsapp, text messages, iMessage or whatever.

Print screens may take a lot longer, but it's by far superior as proof. However a text copy of the chat logs are likely to be fine as well, and if they would question it, you can show the originals. But again remember, it's not all about chat logs. Make sure to focus just as much on pictures, trips, receipts etc, if not more actually.
I totally agree with this statement. My husband and I used iMessage, FaceTime and emails. I think we only handed in 3 emails and mainly other things, like invitation to a wedding, thank you cards to the two of us, flight tickets, boarding pass stating we are sitting beside each other, reservation for hotel, even if it is only in one name, but matches a flight ticket, mutual purchases, photos(!!!), car insurance with both partners listed, other insurances, mutual account (!!).

But, I did not take into account if it is an Outland application. Proof of communication might be much more important, than an inland application, when you already live together. That is just an assumption.