+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

using TRV instead of PR visa to enter Canada

another_applicant

Aug 28, 2012
Hi,

I am in Canada now, and I got a PPR and sent my PP to Detroit to stamp the PR visa. I have two questions:
1) what happens to my Canada TRV that is still valid in my passport? do they cancel it once they issue the PR visa?
2) if I decided that I don't want to land right away, can I still exit Canada and enter again using only my TRV (no landing now)?

Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - they cancel it.
2) I don't know. Hopefully someone else can help.

another_applicant

Aug 28, 2012
scylla said:
1) Yes - they cancel it.
2) I don't know. Hopefully someone else can help.
Thanks scylla for your answers!

About cancelling the visa, do you mean they cancel it after I land? or do you mean that when I get my PP back from Detroit I will find that my TRV has been cancelled?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I believe it's when you land - but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else can verify.

rafaelrms

Sep 30, 2012
Well

I sent my passport to Detroit to get the IM visa stamped, and they did not cancel my TRV (W-1). They issued the IM visa valid for 4 months (need to land by the end of january)

I had to travel out of Canada, but on my way back did not want to land as I had another upcoming trip scheduled and would not be able to get the PR card on time.

When I got to immigration, I explained the situation, but the officer told me that he would have to "land" me. As I insisted, telling that i did not want to land at the time, I wanted to get in with my TRV/Work permit, he went to his supervisor, who approved my entry on the TRV, just stamped the passport on the conditions of the Work Permit and warned me that I had to land by the expiration date in January.

That was in Montreal airport. I plan to "land"when i get back from holidays in December.

Regards

another_applicant

Aug 28, 2012
rafaelrms said:
Well

I sent my passport to Detroit to get the IM visa stamped, and they did not cancel my TRV (W-1). They issued the IM visa valid for 4 months (need to land by the end of january)

I had to travel out of Canada, but on my way back did not want to land as I had another upcoming trip scheduled and would not be able to get the PR card on time.

When I got to immigration, I explained the situation, but the officer told me that he would have to "land" me. As I insisted, telling that i did not want to land at the time, I wanted to get in with my TRV/Work permit, he went to his supervisor, who approved my entry on the TRV, just stamped the passport on the conditions of the Work Permit and warned me that I had to land by the expiration date in January.

That was in Montreal airport. I plan to "land"when i get back from holidays in December.

Regards
Thanks a lot, rafaelrms!

That's definitely useful info to know.