+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using H1B BRM letters as a proof of employment

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Hello,

My company refused to give reference letters for CA immigration purposes.

So, along with notarized letters from my colleagues I worked with in different locations, I have two letters that my Business Relationship Managers provided for my previous H1B extensions. These letters have my roles and responsibilities listed on company letter head and do NOT mention h1b anywhere.

Would you recommend including these letters as a supporting document? Is using H1B letters for CA, frowned upon by CIC?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You should tailor your job duties letter as per your NOC. I hope you addressed that in your colleague letter.

And I am not sure if BRM letters will talk the language of NOC. It would be like you providing different job descriptions in different letters. In my opinion, notarized letters from your colleagues are sufficient. For further employment proof you can include some of relieving letter (if you already quit), your onsite pay stubs,W2 forms and may be visa copies from passport that shows employer name. That was what I did along with my colleague letter.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hello,

My company refused to give reference letters for CA immigration purposes.

So, along with notarized letters from my colleagues I worked with in different locations, I have two letters that my Business Relationship Managers provided for my previous H1B extensions. These letters have my roles and responsibilities listed on company letter head and do NOT mention h1b anywhere.

Would you recommend including these letters as a supporting document? Is using H1B letters for CA, frowned upon by CIC?
Immigration status ( L1, H1 etc.) is not mentioned in reference/experience letters.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
You should tailor your job duties letter as per your NOC. I hope you addressed that in your colleague letter.

And I am not sure if BRM letters will talk the language of NOC. It would be like you providing different job descriptions in different letters. In my opinion, notarized letters from your colleagues are sufficient. For further employment proof you can include some of relieving letter (if you already quit), your onsite pay stubs,W2 forms and may be visa copies from passport that shows employer name. That was what I did along with my colleague letter.
Thanks @DEEPCUR. Is it ok if the job duties are in line with the responsibilities in BRM letter and colleague letters? I got the letters for the actual work I perform and no deviation from NOC I chose

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
On the same line, I have got three different colleague letters for the three different Locations I worked in. all these letters describe similar roles and job duties. Should I use them all to cover my base (3 years of exp)?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Is there a reason why you want to give colleague letter when you have BRM letter? Either one is sufficient isn't ?

Three letters for location should be fine.. but again, it is fine if you give one letter for the entire tenure as long as the colleague who gave you letter is also with the same company for all those years. I gave only one letter although I have worked in two locations in India and one letter in US from the person who worked with me for one India and US location. The officers generally verify the LinkedIn profile of the people who give you the letters. So it is very important to both of your tenures match if you are giving one letter from one colleague. Little bit of differences are fine because people can be workers from different locations too. No harm in giving three letters too if you feel that is right.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
@DEEPCUR , I just wanted to add BRM letters as a supporting document and because they are on company letter head. Seemed like a good letter going waste :)

Yes I worked in one location in India and two locations in the US, hence got three letters. I was not aware they check the linkedin profiles. Good thing the timelines match.

Miracle2018

Jan 3, 2018
Hi @DEEPCUR ,

I have a query. I am working with the same organization for 9 years now. Earlier I was working in India and for last few years I am working in USA. I got my Roles & Responsibilities letter from them including my current designation.I have had multiple designations in the same company although I have worked in the same profile all these 9 years.
My roles & responsibilities match with my NOC and have no relation to the designation that I hold in the company.
Can I explain the same in LOE to Canada government.
I dont want to inform my colleagues of my plans for Canada PR and hence dont want to procure an additional letter for adding designations.
Kindly advise.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi @DEEPCUR ,

I have a query. I am working with the same organization for 9 years now. Earlier I was working in India and for last few years I am working in USA. I got my Roles & Responsibilities letter from them including my current designation.I have had multiple designations in the same company although I have worked in the same profile all these 9 years.
My roles & responsibilities match with my NOC and have no relation to the designation that I hold in the company.
I dont want to inform my colleagues of my plans for Canada PR and hence dont want to procure an additional letter for adding designations.
Kindly advise.
No need to explain this. If you have your current job title and correct start date mentioned in the letter, that is sufficient. If the letter is for your current job, make sure that it is dated as closely as possible to your application submission date.

Reactions: Miracle2018

Miracle2018

Jan 3, 2018
No need to explain this. If you have your current job title and correct start date mentioned in the letter, that is sufficient. If the letter is for your current job, make sure that it is dated as closely as possible to your application submission date.
Thanks a lot!!!!

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Hi @DEEPCUR ,

Kindly advise.
How did you manage to get such a letter while still working for them?

newtocanada2017

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
HI @DEEPCUR,

I have been working with same organization for 15 years.

2003-2004 - INDIA
2004-2006 - US
2005-2010 - INDIA
2010-TILL DATE US

I have a generic experience letter which mentions date of joining/current designation/salary - no roles responsibilities.

For my Green Card filing - I have experience letters with role and responsibilities for
2003-2004 - INDIA
2006-2010 - INDIA
For US experience - I have my H1 extension papers - that list roles and responsibilities. My experience letter provides name of customer and Customer is willing to give role/responsibilites letter.

About 60% responsibillites in those letters match my NOC 2174.

I have an colleague (friend) is in Florida different client location - while I am in California who is willing to give my any experience letter on white paper.

What should I use my collegue/s letter along with W2 / Form16/ Appoinmtment/Appraisal letters?

What is your suggestion. Please help.

Thanks a ton.