+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using foreign PhD as work experience

CLapika25512

Apr 19, 2017
Alberta
NOC Code......
I don't think you are listening. You cannot claim 4012 as a work experience under Canadian Experience Class.

"Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for this program."
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

So unless you claim it under Federal Skilled Worker Program, which I think you cannot since you study in Canada, you cannot use this work experience getting points under CEC.

Unless this work experience was after your studies, then it is fine.

Please read IRCC website.
Hi egam,
I am NOT claiming it under CEC, it was under FSW. I won't get ANY point at all for this experience, it just makes me eligible to apply under FSW and then rely on other points to get selected. Thanks.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29

If you search around, NOC 4012 is the exception to the rule above you just posted. (read the link). It doesn't give you points but it does make you eligible.

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi egam,
I am NOT claiming it under CEC, it was under FSW. I won't get ANY point at all for this experience, it just makes me eligible to apply under FSW and then rely on other points to get selected. Thanks.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29
If you search around, NOC 4012 is the exception to the rule above you just posted. (read the link). It doesn't give you points but it does make you eligible.
So what job makes is then eligible for FSW? You need at least one year of work experience, so if you don't use that what will you use?

CLapika25512

Apr 19, 2017
Alberta
NOC Code......
Hi egam,
I already answered this question in my previous reply. If you look around the forum there are more than one cases like mine. I was asking a question and have figured it out myself. All I know is my profile was accepted by express entry algorithm. Best wishes to you.

egam189

May 30, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi egam,
I already answered this question in my previous reply. If you look around the forum there are more than one cases like mine. I was asking a question and have figured it out myself. All I know is my profile was accepted by express entry algorithm. Best wishes to you.
Alright good luck, I highly doubt it works. But please prove me wrong :)

eastgwzh

Mar 7, 2021
This thread has mainly about FSW. I worked as a RA in university after graduation for one year, with one month gap in between due to funding issues. All work done with PGWP. Am I eligible for CEC? Anyone with similar experience got PR under CEC? Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This thread has mainly about FSW. I worked as a RA in university after graduation for one year, with one month gap in between due to funding issues. All work done with PGWP. Am I eligible for CEC? Anyone with similar experience got PR under CEC? Thank you!
RA is usually paid a small stipend in exchange for room and board. Was that the case? Also usually not a usually a full-time job at least when I was an RA.

eastgwzh

Mar 7, 2021
RA is usually paid a small stipend in exchange for room and board. Was that the case? Also usually not a usually a full-time job at least when I was an RA.
Thank you for your response! I got regular payslip bi-weekly from university. I received T4, not T4A, so it is employee salary. I worked 40 hours a week, can be confirmed by payslip.

Bing213

Jul 13, 2021
Hi,
I completed my PhD in India.
After MSc, I joined as a project fellow with the university for 2 years. Then I went for the PhD degree with the same university. So does that 2 years of paid research experience count towards job experience?
Kindly guide.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
I completed my PhD in India.
After MSc, I joined as a project fellow with the university for 2 years. Then I went for the PhD degree with the same university. So does that 2 years of paid research experience count towards job experience?
Kindly guide.
Yes. If outside Canada then foreign work experience.

caunak

Apr 11, 2023
Hi all,

I've received an ITA in late March, and plan to submit my application. I am confused regarding NOC selection, and any help would be much appreciated!

I have an engineering background and a PhD from outside Canada. I was paid during my PhD, and I didn't have any courses and it mostly was research, characterisation and experiments. I claimed the NOC code for my PhD experience the same as my background in engineering since I thought it also matched the job duties. In addition to that, I wanted that NOC code to be my primary/intended occupation (currently, I am a postdoc, and rather to have the engineering as the primary selection instead of the postdoc).

I was wondering whether it would be alright? has anyone had a similar experience and was the application successful? I haven't yet accepted or declined the ITA.

What would be the best course of action in this case?

many thanks and kind regards

faizzzzzzzzz

Mar 13, 2022
1. Yes. As long as you can get a IRCC-styled reference letter from your HR/advisor to support your PhD employment status.

2. If it was during your PhD, I'm afraid not (I stand to be corrected on this though).
Could u plz tell me if u got ur pr? Phd from china is accepted as foreign axperiance?