+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using foreign PhD as work experience

AshyMashy

Apr 10, 2016
amanjpro said:
If you mean by new the "Express Entry" system, then yes every application since Jan 2015 are under Express Entry.
We chose NOC 4012 for our experience.
I have two more questions, I'd be much grateful if you could address them:
1) My research was paid by a tax-free scholarship, do you know if that's still acceptable?
2) If you dont mind me asking, would you please tell me what title you used or did you just state "PhD Candidate"?
Many thanks!

amanjpro

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2016
AshyMashy said:
I have two more questions, I'd be much grateful if you could address them:
1) My research was paid by a tax-free scholarship, do you know if that's still acceptable?
2) If you dont mind me asking, would you please tell me what title you used or did you just state "PhD Candidate"?
Many thanks!
I don't know about your first question. As for the second yes, we used PhD candidate and made the advisor to write
this title in the work experience letter.

mohitkoladia

Dec 15, 2015
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amanjpro said:
I don't know about your first question. As for the second yes, we used PhD candidate and made the advisor to write
Hi Amanjpro,

Quick question: I have CRS 450 with masters degree from India and joined as Phd student in USA and had duties as Graduate Research Assistant for 20 hrs/week for 3 years now! I have switched from Phd to masters but still i got research assistant experience is that a problem? And also how do u do education evaluation for WES for Phd before completion? Do u mention PhD in your education section of application form or just mention research assistant in work history section?

Thanks,

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
I would never have guessed it would count since PhD is counted as education in CIC.
If so I would have applied for express entry a year ago...

Anyway, that would be great if the people who used it as work experience could post a message here when they will get their PR like @amanjpro for example. Thanks

axlh17

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
mohitkoladia said:
Hi Amanjpro,

And also how do u do education evaluation for WES for Phd before completion? Do u mention PhD in your education section of application form or just mention research assistant in work history section?

Thanks,
I believe you have to graduate and get your degree first before WES. But I'd love to hear someone to confirm this. If you were able to get WES before graduation, how did you do it?

indyeah

Oct 13, 2016
I have finished my PhD from India and I want to apply for Express Entry (EE). My query is: Can I show my TA/ RA (NOC 4012) work as work experience if I have a letter from my Professor which states that I have worked for 3 years (20 hours per week = 2 years of full time work) and the work was paid.

Since my PhD is not from Canada and thus I am curious to know if this can be used as work experience. There are many threads on this topic but I have seen the responses which say that if the TA/ RA work is paid then it can be considered (need to validate).

Please reply with context of the EE in today's terms.

Secondly, I have 2 years of work-ex in the IT domain (NOC 2171). Can I club both the work (NOC 2171 + NOC 4012) and show my work-ex as 4 years?

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
indyeah said:
I have finished my PhD from India and I want to apply for Express Entry (EE). My query is: Can I show my TA/ RA (NOC 4012) work as work experience if I have a letter from my Professor which states that I have worked for 3 years (20 hours per week = 2 years of full time work) and the work was paid.

Since my PhD is not from Canada and thus I am curious to know if this can be used as work experience. There are many threads on this topic but I have seen the responses which say that if the TA/ RA work is paid then it can be considered (need to validate).

Secondly, I have 2 years of work-ex in the IT domain (NOC 2171). Can I club both the work (NOC 2171 + NOC 4012) and show my work-ex as 4 years?
Notwithstanding the fact you could have easily found out the answers to your questions by doing a very quick search, here are the answers:

1) Yes, since you're applying under FSW, you can use experience gained whilst completing your PhD. (source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6)

2) For CRS purposes, you can use experience from the last 10 years in multiple NOCs, so long as it is 0, A or B. For FSW eligibility (to get the required 67/100 to be eligible for FSW) you can only use one NOC.

AshyMashy

Apr 10, 2016
amanjpro said:
Hi amanjpro,

Since I'm applying via the same route, I was wondering if there are any updates on your PR processing status if it's not too much to ask? My first application was incomplete and I've been invited to apply again, so knowing as to where we stand with PhD candidature as work experience would really help making the right decision. Thanks!

Cheers,
Ash

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017

Dear I want to know if your experience during PHD has been considered for Express entry

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Nick thank you so much for your excellent input! I'm just trying to re-confirm if this is still the case? I have 3 years and 8 months paid PhD research experience here in Australia and I need to see if this can be counted toward my foreign work experience for CRS? I'd very much appreciate your feedback on this. Thank you!

Cheers,
Ash
Hey i have the same case as i did my PHD from India and was working on scholarship and involved in research. I just want to confirm if your work experience gained during PHD has been considered for express entry pool point.

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hello,

Anyone still concerned with this situation as of now? I will have a PhD degree from a Danish university next year. PhD fellows work full time in Denmark, get their monthly salary, are involved in teaching and certainly are on a work-permit. Would you share if you have had success getting a PR with the Danish PhD work experience?

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hello,

Anyone still concerned with this situation as of now? I will have a PhD degree from a Danish university next year. PhD fellows work full time in Denmark, get their monthly salary, are involved in teaching and certainly are on a work-permit. Would you share if you have had success getting a PR with the Danish PhD work experience?
Hi,

I'm also currently in the final months of my PhD programme. I applied using the EE programme and my documents are currently under review by GCMS. So, I'm not sure if this info really helps you.

Note:
You won't get point for your current status as a PhD since it hasn't been awarded yet.
During eAPR, your reference letter from the university must clearly state that you were employed (and paid) for more than 30 hours/per week.

Sorry I can't help more than this but I'll update when there is any change in my status

Reactions: An_Ta

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hi,

I'm also currently in the final months of my PhD programme. I applied using the EE programme and my documents are currently under review by GCMS. So, I'm not sure if this info really helps you.

Note:
You won't get point for your current status as a PhD since it hasn't been awarded yet.
During eAPR, your reference letter from the university must clearly state that you were employed (and paid) for more than 30 hours/per week.

Sorry I can't help more than this but I'll update when there is any change in my status
Hi,

Thank you for your comment. In fact, I am only planning to use the work experience acquired during the PhD and apply with the Master's degree as there is some time from the termination of my contract and being awarded a PhD degree (typically 4 months).
Concerning the letter from the University, my employment contract clearly states that I should work 37h/ week and also outlines my duties. My supervisor will write a more tailored letter in connection to this.
I wish you all the best. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

y2dou

Oct 31, 2017
hey all, it's really helpful reading the threads. however, my case is a bit different. I am working as a postdoc in the states now (full-time, paid), but not on a work permit, on a Visiting Scholar visa (J-1) and I don't need to pay tax for the first two years. I contacted two immigration lawyers they are not familiar with this, and showed concern that CIC may not consider this as work experience since i didn't pay tax..

omicrondelta

Star Member
May 26, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-07-2017
AOR Received.
10-10-2017
@y2dou: You don't pay tax due to an agreement between your country and USA. Your schools' payroll office will make you sign papers (or at least they have them in your name) stating the binational agreement. That may be a reasonable explanation for not deducting tax, but you must still get w2 forms.