+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using COPR to reenter Canada from the US

JamesBox

Star Member
Jan 15, 2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Hi all,

Received my COPR a couple of weeks back. When landing I asked the officer if I were to fly out of Canada to the US for a 2 week vacation before they send my PR card out, what do I need to do. (Expecting him to say apply for a PRTD once in the US) he said I can use my COPR until my PR card arrives...

This seems to go against everything I've read online.

Who is right? The internet/this forum or the officer at the border!

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

If you are flying to Canada, the airline will NOT allow you to board the plane without a valid PR card or PRTD.

If you are entering Canada at the land border by non-commercial means, then your passport is sufficient for entry.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
If you are flying, you need a PR travel document.

If you are driving yourself, a CoPR will work.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kateg said:

And you felt the need to revive this two-week old thread to basically just repeat what I said because...?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
I respond to questions as I read through the thread sequentially. There's a risk of duplication, but it avoids missing things.

bettyboopy

Feb 23, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

If you are flying to Canada, the airline will NOT allow you to board the plane without a valid PR card or PRTD.

If you are entering Canada at the land border by non-commercial means, then your passport is sufficient for entry.
Hi, Im from a country which requires visa to come to Canada. I am sort of in the same situation: i want to go to the US before my PR card arrives. If by a rented car, I will only need my CoPR to enter Canada? No PR card needed? If by plane, I would not be able to enter Canada without having to apply for anything? And is there any difference if I rent a car or a car, say, my friend owns

Thank you!

bettyboopy

Feb 23, 2017
kateg said:

Hi, Im from a country which requires visa to come to Canada. I am sort of in the same situation: i want to go to the US before my PR card arrives. If by a rented car, I will only need my CoPR to enter Canada? No PR card needed? If by plane, I would not be able to enter Canada without having to apply for anything? And is there any difference if I rent a car or a car, say, my friend owns

Thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bettyboopy said:
If by a rented car, I will only need my CoPR to enter Canada? No PR card needed?
Correct. Technically all you need is a passport, and CBSA would be able to determine your PR status. Showing the COPR makes this process a lot quicker and can possibly avoid a trip to secondary inspection to verify your status.

If by plane, I would not be able to enter Canada without having to apply for anything?
It's not entering Canada that's the problem, it's boarding the plane. Without a PR card they would demand a PR Travel Document in order for you to board.

You can apply for a PR TD once you're in the US. You would mail the application and your passport to a visa application centre in the US, they will process it and mail back your passport with the PR TD in it. It should take a couple weeks for the whole process.

And is there any difference if I rent a car or a car, say, my friend owns
No difference.
The key is being able to get to the border. As long as you can get there by whatever means, you're good.

bettyboopy

Feb 23, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Correct. Technically all you need is a passport, and CBSA would be able to determine your PR status. Showing the COPR makes this process a lot quicker and can possibly avoid a trip to secondary inspection to verify your status.

It's not entering Canada that's the problem, it's boarding the plane. Without a PR card they would demand a PR Travel Document in order for you to board.

You can apply for a PR TD once you're in the US. You would mail the application and your passport to a visa application centre in the US, they will process it and mail back your passport with the PR TD in it. It should take a couple weeks for the whole process.

No difference.
The key is being able to get to the border. As long as you can get there by whatever means, you're good.
Thank you! I just want to make sure, if I enter Canada by car from US, that would be after I land. I land in Canada by plane in a week, then go to the states, then come back. So when Im coming back my card would not be ready, all I need to do is to drive and show the border people my CoPR? Im not talking about first time landing, Im talking about second time while waiting for the card. I dont want to confuse you lol, just making sure its the second time entering Canada we are talking about. Thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bettyboopy said:
all I need to do is to drive and show the border people my CoPR? Im not talking about first time landing, Im talking about second time while waiting for the card. I dont want to confuse you lol, just making sure its the second time entering Canada we are talking about.
Yes, correct. This is entering by car after you've already landed.