+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Use American employment for super visa

sarah2018

Sep 1, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am a US citizen and just got my PR. I was planning on landing next month but staying in my US job until the end of the year OR until I find work in Canada. I would like to apply for a super visa for my mom right away and was wondering, has anyone had any luck using US employment and salary for super visa? Or does it absolutely have to be Canadian employment?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I am a US citizen and just got my PR. I was planning on landing next month but staying in my US job until the end of the year OR until I find work in Canada. I would like to apply for a super visa for my mom right away and was wondering, has anyone had any luck using US employment and salary for super visa? Or does it absolutely have to be Canadian employment?
Has to be Canadian employment.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks! I’m currently 5 months pregnant. Is it possible for me to find a job in Canada that will hire me and give me paid time off once I have my baby?
No company will pay you your full salary while you are on maternity leave. I think you are thinking of maternity leave benefits which is a government program. To qualify, you must work at least 600 insurable hours before you go on leave. Details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-maternity-parental.html

Given you are already 5 months pregnant, I don't think you have enough runway to find a job and work 600 hours before the birth.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Some companies do "top-up" your mat leave benefits that you get from the government (only a fraction of your salary). Because life is unfair it tends to be in professional and managerial roles that have good salaries to begin with.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you already realize that you will have to wait up to 3 months for health coverage if you are moving to provinces like Ontario or BC.

sarah2018

Sep 1, 2018
Thanks to you both. I guess my only option now would be to have my mom apply for a regular visitor visa. She is considered inadmissible in US and I know it would affect anything with Canada. I thought she would have a better chance with super visa than a regular visitor visa. I’m a single mom with a 3 year old and another almost here, it would be a lifesaver to have her in Canada to help until I secure a job and get situated.

sarah2018

Sep 1, 2018
Assume you already realize that you will have to wait up to 3 months for health coverage if you are moving to provinces like Ontario or BC.
Honestly, perfect scenario would be to deliver in US and then go to Canada. I didn’t think I have any wiggle room to find a job and use Canadian health system. My biggest priority was helping my mom come in so she can help me in the first few months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks to you both. I guess my only option now would be to have my mom apply for a regular visitor visa. She is considered inadmissible in US and I know it would affect anything with Canada. I thought she would have a better chance with super visa than a regular visitor visa. I’m a single mom with a 3 year old and another almost here, it would be a lifesaver to have her in Canada to help until I secure a job and get situated.
If she has a history of visa refusals or deportations - this may impact the approval of both a visitor visa and a super visa. Both visas require her to demonstrate she has strong ties to her home country and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Be aware that coming to take care of your kids is regarded as working which is not allowed when someone is in Canada as a visitor. You don't want to indicate this as the reason why she wants to visit Canada.

Reactions: Buletruck

sarah2018

Sep 1, 2018
If she has a history of visa refusals or deportations - this may impact the approval of both a visitor visa and a super visa. Both visas require her to demonstrate she has strong ties to her home country and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Be aware that coming to take care of your kids is regarded as working which is not allowed when someone is in Canada as a visitor. You don't want to indicate this as the reason why she wants to visit Canada.
No deportation, just refusal. I’m confused about the last statement, what are grandparents expected to do? Lol.... my toddler will definitely be in daycare, but I would think saying she’s coming to help me get settled on a visitor visa is realistic until I find childcare for the new born. It’s crazy to me that I would say anything different, I would think anyone reviewing her application would put things together. Anyway, what would you suggest we say instead for her purpose of visit? Any suggestions apart from the visitor visa or are we completely SOL?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why don't you do a soft landing? What's the rush to move to Canada other than your mother potentially getting a visa. There is always concern with parents coming as soon as people move to Canada because there is concern that they want to move with you.

sarah2018

Sep 1, 2018
Why don't you do a soft landing? What's the rush to move to Canada other than your mother potentially getting a visa. There is always concern with parents coming as soon as people move to Canada because there is concern that they want to move with you.
I can see that being a red flag , I read a few places where people applied for their parents right away and assumed it wouldn’t be a problem. What’s a soft landing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Soft landing is coming to Canada to become a PR and then returning home. Can return to the US the same day if you want. Given the residency requirement is 2 out of 5 years people often return home to wrap up their lives or work a bit longer than move to Canada.

sarah2018

Sep 1, 2018
Soft landing is coming to Canada to become a PR and then returning home. Can return to the US the same day if you want. Given the residency requirement is 2 out of 5 years people often return home to wrap up their lives or work a bit longer than move to Canada.
Thanks Canuck, that’s exactly what I plan to do. I didn’t think I would be able to find a job in Canada in such a short time that would offer me the same salary and benefits as my current job. I plan on soft landing next month and moving permanently after my maternity leave I’m US is up and have secured a job in Canada (most likely March/April next year). If I apply for a super visa for my mom then, when I have secured a job and some time has passed from my landing, do you think my mom will have a better chance?