+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Usa visa question

Pranavpal

Jun 2, 2017
Delhi
Category........
FSW
Hello,

I am planning to settle in surrey, BC which is near the U.S. border therfore i plan to visit usa for travel & shopping purpose for which i would need a U.S. visa.
I havent applied for express entry yet but i have a good crs score therfore i would like to know that is it a good idea getting the U.S. Visitor Visa before getting the PR or should i apply after landing in Canada ?

Also is there a probability that duration of visa would be longer if i apply after getting PR ? (I am aiming to apply for B1/B2 visa which generally gives 10 years visa)

Thankyou,
Fellow mates !
Hope we all get to canada :)

PS- i dont think i can prove any strong ties to canada as i am planning to start my business there (so no job) & i also dont have any family there except a cousin who is on a study visa.( if u have some idea of showing strong ties let me know.)

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You can certainly try to apply right now in your home country, which would be good if you happen to have a stable job and good income right now. Don't mention your immigration plans to Canada at the interview at the US embassy/consulate.

If your country has a reciprocity agreement with the US that makes you eligible for a 10-year multiple entry B1/B2, then that's it. The maximum validity is based on your country's passport, regardless of whether you have permanent residence in Canada.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Actually if approved they will issue a 10 year visa regardless of passport validity. Unlike Canada, US does not have the rule. I have a valid US visa in an expired passport.

Pranavpal

Jun 2, 2017
Delhi
Category........
FSW
Thankyou bellaluna & karthik for your reply!
As per your guys suggestion i am applying for USA visa before i enter the pool. I hope I get the 10 years visa !

Do first time USA visa applicants from india get 10 years visa ? Should I apply for tourist visa or b1/b2 ( both visitor & business visa ) ?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Thankyou bellaluna & karthik for your reply!
As per your guys suggestion i am applying for USA visa before i enter the pool. I hope I get the 10 years visa !

Do first time USA visa applicants from india get 10 years visa ? Should I apply for tourist visa or b1/b2 ( both visitor & business visa ) ?
Visa duration is at the visa officer discretion. In most cases, they will issue a 10 year multiple entry visa. I have seen cases where the visa issued is 6 months single entry or annotated that it can be used only with the employer with whom it was issued. So it differs from case to case.

They are both the same visa B1/B2 - can be used for either purpose depending on the entry reason to the US. You should apply as a tourist since you will need to produce documents accordingly. For business visa, you will need invite letter from host and your employer as well - so unless there is a reason, you cannot get those documents..

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Pranavpal

Jun 2, 2017
Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa duration is at the visa officer discretion. In most cases, they will issue a 10 year multiple entry visa. I have seen cases where the visa issued is 6 months single entry or annotated that it can be used only with the employer with whom it was issued. So it differs from case to case.

They are both the same visa B1/B2 - can be used for either purpose depending on the entry reason to the US. You should apply as a tourist since you will need to produce documents accordingly. For business visa, you will need invite letter from host and your employer as well - so unless there is a reason, you cannot get those documents..

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Wow, thanks for the quick reply, i didnt know that tourist can also get 10 years visa.
My father was planning to purchase some machinery from USA and we were planning to get an invite from them. So i guess both options are open for me, which one do you think will suit me better ?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
It's which one you have strong documentation for. If B2, are you also a part of his enterprise which would allow you to go there and conduct the necessary meetings. Alternatively, if you have any sibling or close relative in US, you could also show a family invite and apply under the tourist category. If no relative, then your alternate would be to show a vacation - you don't need tickets but at least proof that you have a refundable holiday booking will make your case credible.

In either case, you need to show strong ties to homeland either via employment, letter from both sides (host and trip sponsor if business), marriage certificate (if married) etc. For US visa, they do not ask for any documents to be uploaded at the time of application but since there is in person interview, you should carry as much documentation as you can supporting your case. Most interviews hardly take 2 minutes but they have the scope to go longer.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.