+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA visa for Refugee travel document holders

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So far I know they gave a Yemeni, 3 month single entry. Something called rule of reciprocity, where the US treats you how your country treats them, Chinese and Indian nationals with RTD get 10 years multiple entry.

But the thing is, it's not fair, some didn't ask for their nationalities, and now are refugees, and have nothing to do with their nations or how they issue visas to Americans. I'm hoping some other national has had different experience, and gives us hope.
Visa system aren’t known for being fair. The US can admit who they want for how long they want. Even with Canadian citizenship you can be denied entry.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Any updates on this subject?
The US visa consulate in toronto will treat your application based on your nationality, not RTD, they don't issue visas to travel ban nations. They don't consider that you no longer are a part of that country, and a protected person in Canada. Other nationalities with RTD are receiving 10 or 5 year multiple US visas, just not travel ban countries.

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I came Canada with visa, i have never been in US and i want to apply US visa with my refugee travel document. I haven’t applied for PR yet but i am studying college in Canada and i can show proof of funds in my bank account. Should apply to US visa or should i wait for PR? Also in DS160 form which nationality should i select and which country should i select for my travel document? Also it asks where i will be staying, should i book place from hotel or airbnb before applying visa and put the address to form?
The US visa consulate in toronto will treat your application based on your nationality, not RTD, they don't issue visas to travel ban nations. They don't consider that you no longer are a part of that country, and a protected person in Canada. Other nationalities with RTD are receiving 10 or 5 year multiple US visas, just not travel ban countries.

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Best course of action is apply and see if US consulate issues a visa.

I personally know people who got US visa to their RTD and also I personally know people who got rejected US visa on their RTD.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
I went in for my US visa interview, there was this asian fella that was super hostile to me for no reason lol, i brought in my RTD, and he asked where my decision letter was I told him it was just the RTD for today buddy, cause I wouldn't be able to get an RTD if i didn't have the NOD, anywayss that guy was just a secretary... then I had the interview the officer who was very friendly and saw that I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and LEGALLY, and exited to Europe LEGALLY from the US so there was no issue, finally.... I have a PhD in chemical engineering which is on a watch list of professions, I knoww... who knew being overly educated would make life harder.. he said he will approve the visa so long as I email him a CV letter or resume, which I did, and now i'm waiting for him to ask me to mail the passport to them for the stamp, i'm just thankful i wasn't refused cause of that hostile secretary
When I get it I will let you guys know if its for 10 years, cause i'm from a country where the US gives 2 years visa usually...

Jan 10, 2017
I went in for my US visa interview, there was this asian fella that was super hostile to me for no reason lol, i brought in my RTD, and he asked where my decision letter was I told him it was just the RTD for today buddy, cause I wouldn't be able to get an RTD if i didn't have the NOD, anywayss that guy was just a secretary... then I had the interview the officer who was very friendly and saw that I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and LEGALLY, and exited to Europe LEGALLY from the US so there was no issue, finally.... I have a PhD in chemical engineering which is on a watch list of professions, I knoww... who knew being overly educated would make life harder.. he said he will approve the visa so long as I email him a CV letter or resume, which I did, and now i'm waiting for him to ask me to mail the passport to them for the stamp, i'm just thankful i wasn't refused cause of that hostile secretary
When I get it I will let you guys know if its for 10 years, cause i'm from a country where the US gives 2 years visa usually...
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope you'll get your visa soon.