+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA visa for Refugee travel document holders

Suleyman123

Jan 18, 2018
Hi there,

I just wanted ask if anyone here has applied for US visa for refugee travel document. I have read the experiences of people who had obtained the visa; however, my prime concern would be the fact that I came to Canada through United States. I had US visa before and I left US to Canada afterwards to claim asylum. I dont know if they are going to grant a visa for me given the fact that I crossed the border illegally. Please share your experiences. Thanks

Cip

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Hi there,

I just wanted ask if anyone here has applied for US visa for refugee travel document. I have read the experiences of people who had obtained the visa; however, my prime concern would be the fact that I came to Canada through United States. I had US visa before and I left US to Canada afterwards to claim asylum. I dont know if they are going to grant a visa for me given the fact that I crossed the border illegally. Please share your experiences. Thanks
Did you overstay in the usa ?

Reactions: Happywoman80

Cip

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Please can somone reply to this question thanks —-just wanted ask if anyone here has applied for US visa for refugee travel document. I have read the experiences of people who had obtained the visa; however, my prime concern would be the fact that I came to Canada through United States. I had US visa before and I left US to Canada afterwards to claim asylum. I dont know if they are going to grant a visa for me given the fact that I crossed the border illegally. Please share your experiences. Thank

R

rish888

You crossed the American border illegally to exit America. They don't care how you left, as long as your left. The Canadians processing you would have informed the Americans that you left.

You should be good as long as you stayed in the US less than 6 months. If you overstayed in the US, that's another story.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
You crossed the American border illegally to exit America. They don't care how you left, as long as your left. The Canadians processing you would have informed the Americans that you left.

You should be good as long as you stayed in the US less than 6 months. If you overstayed in the US, that's another story.
I'm not 100% sure about this. Watching the news videos of Roxham Rd - the CBSA / police officers there with megaphones were giving out warnings about the impact their actions in crossing illegally will have with any status in the US, I thought? Could be mistaken.

Cip

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017

I somehow agree with you .. usa doesnt really care how you leave and the illegally crossing is more of a canada offence not usa offence but canada accepted you which i dint think is a crime any longer .. all you need to show to usa is that you left before your proove it ....

Cip

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% sure about this. Watching the news videos of Roxham Rd - the CBSA / police officers there with megaphones were giving out warnings about the impact their actions in crossing illegally will have with any status in the US, I thought? Could be mistaken.
Please can i have the link to watch the video thanks

Suleyman123

Jan 18, 2018
I did not overstay in the US. In fact, I have received an email from Homeland Security asking me my location (when my visa was already expired and I was in Canada). I called them and provided necessary documents to prove that I was in Canada. They confirmed it.However, I have received another email from state department that my visa was revoked and I was asked to visit the embassy in my home country. I replied that I couldnt go. Thats pretty much it and now I want to apply for usa visa to see I will be granted one. Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

Cip

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
I did not overstay in the US. In fact, I have received an email from Homeland Security asking me my location (when my visa was already expired and I was in Canada). I called them and provided necessary documents to prove that I was in Canada. They confirmed it.However, I have received another email from state department that my visa was revoked and I was asked to visit the embassy in my home country. I replied that I couldnt go. Thats pretty much it and now I want to apply for usa visa to see I will be granted one. Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.
Please am pretty much interested in this your scenario let me know if you eventually get the usa visa somone i know having similar case thank you

R

rish888

If this is the case, it seems like the Canadians don't forward entry information for asylum seekers to their US counterparts so your departure can be logged.

You can apply for another U.S. visa. Bring DHS' confirmation of your departure to show them that you didn't overstay.

Of course a visa is never guaranteed, but if DHS did indeed confirm your departure, you shouldn't face a problem on that front from the embassy.

Besides, with your RTD the US visa officer will probably be able to gather that you crossed the border illegally to seek asylum in Canada.

Reactions: zechman

userM

Apr 2, 2018
Hi,

I want to know if you got the visa?
And how long it took for you?
Am facing the similar scenario. I have to urgently travel to the USA in first week of June

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Which point did you cross the border ?
How long did it take for your Asylum case to approve ?
Please share some details about your history & your country of origin.
Thank you