+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA visa for Refugee travel document holders

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry was responding to the previous poster. Should have hit reply. You will have to apply to the US Embassy. It is up to the US to determine if they want to grant you a visa. Nobody will be able to tell you if they will grant you a visa. I would apply now and see what happens.

kerat03

May 5, 2018
I did not overstay in the US. In fact, I have received an email from Homeland Security asking me my location (when my visa was already expired and I was in Canada). I called them and provided necessary documents to prove that I was in Canada. They confirmed it.However, I have received another email from state department that my visa was revoked and I was asked to visit the embassy in my home country. I replied that I couldnt go. Thats pretty much it and now I want to apply for usa visa to see I will be granted one. Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.
Can you please provide the Department of Homeland Security email that you contacted? I didn't overstay either, but I haven't received any email from them. And I was told ICE asked about me at the address I was staying at, which was provided at the airport - I would assume this means they haven't been notified by the Canadians about my status. However, they have been informed by American friends that I am indeed in Canada. I do want to contact them to confirm that I didn't overstay, in case I wanted to visit the US using my RTD later on.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please provide the Department of Homeland Security email that you contacted? I didn't overstay either, but I haven't received any email from them. And I was told ICE asked about me at the address I was staying at, which was provided at the airport - I would assume this means they haven't been notified by the Canadians about my status. However, they have been informed by American friends that I am indeed in Canada. I do want to contact them to confirm that I didn't overstay, in case I wanted to visit the US using my RTD later on.

Thanks.
This is Canadian forum. You can ask how to contact homeland security on the US forum. Not sure you will be able to reach someone and they don't really seem to be the appropriate agency to contact in the first place.

kerat03

May 5, 2018
I have not applied for the US visa as my plans were changed. If I apply in the future, I will post it here.
Thanks, appreciated. I just want to know the email of which Homeland Security contacted you with. In case it's a public one, would be grateful if you could post it.

Thanks anyways.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have not applied for the US visa as my plans were changed. If I apply in the future, I will post it here.
Assume may be either from Nigeria or another country like Turkey which has seen numerous people fly into the US on a US travel visa and then head straight to the illegal Canadian border crossing. Canada has asked the US to be more thoughtful about granting tourist visas. You had likely been identified at high risk and they wanted to cancel your visa. Assume they didn't know where you were because you didn't go through a legal border which would have scanned your passport.

May 27, 2018
you can apply with with your RTD but I would suggest you to wait until you get your PR ... so that would be enough prove that you have residence in this country and you’re a good person.

many people has been accepted as a refugee, but they make ilegal things here , so that people will never get the PR.

but some people applied just with the RTD and they got the visa.

only the in migration officers will decide if you qualify or not to have a Usa visa.

Hi there,

I just wanted ask if anyone here has applied for US visa for refugee travel document. I have read the experiences of people who had obtained the visa; however, my prime concern would be the fact that I came to Canada through United States. I had US visa before and I left US to Canada afterwards to claim asylum. I dont know if they are going to grant a visa for me given the fact that I crossed the border illegally. Please share your experiences. Thanks

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hey, I'm kinda in the same situation, but i did everything legally.

In 2012 I had a US visit visa, i went to the u.s.a and applied for refugee protection in Canada (i had relatives in canada). Left the state legally to Canada, and was granted acceptance in 2017. Now I am a convention refugee, and want to get visa to the state, will that be a problem?

Reactions: YousifBreesam

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hey, I'm kinda in the same situation, but i did everything legally.

In 2012 I had a US visit visa, i went to the u.s.a and applied for refugee protection in Canada (i had relatives in canada). Left the state legally to Canada, and was granted acceptance in 2017. Now I am a convention refugee, and want to get visa to the state, will that be a problem?
The thing is that you can't really know until you actually apply and go to the embassy/consulate. It can go both ways. I once read a post on here were a guy got refused because the officer told him that they were supposed to visit the US then leave, not claim asylum in Canada. And I also read others who got approved. In conclusion, it's basically at the sole discretion of the officer, if they felt that you broke any laws or misused your US visa then you'll probably be refused, otherwise you should be fine if you got some income and ties to Canada.

Reactions: live&love

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
Hi there,

I just wanted ask if anyone here has applied for US visa for refugee travel document. I have read the experiences of people who had obtained the visa; however, my prime concern would be the fact that I came to Canada through United States. I had US visa before and I left US to Canada afterwards to claim asylum. I dont know if they are going to grant a visa for me given the fact that I crossed the border illegally. Please share your experiences. Thanks
Did you get police report in Canada? If illegal crossing is shown in your police report in Canada, you may not enter USA just because of that.

kerat03

May 5, 2018

Thanks.
Just wanted to update those interested. I had my U.S visa appointment today, and it went good. As other people said, they don't care that I claimed asylum in Canada irregularly, they only care that I exited the U.S and did not overstay my visa. Being a permanent resident in Canada and having ties like working and studying here also helped.

I had no idea what would happen in the interview, it did take a bit longer than the average 3 minutes, for understandable reasons.

You can't know what the outcome would be until you get to the interview, just book and go. Good luck!

Reactions: Rafffff

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just wanted to update those interested. I had my U.S visa appointment today, and it went good. As other people said, they don't care that I claimed asylum in Canada irregularly, they only care that I exited the U.S and did not overstay my visa. Being a permanent resident in Canada and having ties like working and studying here also helped.

I had no idea what would happen in the interview, it did take a bit longer than the average 3 minutes, for understandable reasons.

You can't know what the outcome would be until you get to the interview, just book and go. Good luck!
We have seen others be refused due to illegal entry into Canada so it is really a case by case situation.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Anyone from the travel ban countries: North Korea, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela successfully received a tourist US visa on the Canadian refugee travel document?

If so, was it multiple entry, and how long was the validity? 3 months, 5 years, or 10 years?

Rafffff

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
Anyone from the travel ban countries: North Korea, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela successfully received a tourist US visa on the Canadian refugee travel document?

If so, was it multiple entry, and how long was the validity? 3 months, 5 years, or 10 years?
looking forward to some answers

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
So far I know they gave a Yemeni, 3 month single entry. Something called rule of reciprocity, where the US treats you how your country treats them, Chinese and Indian nationals with RTD get 10 years multiple entry.

But the thing is, it's not fair, some didn't ask for their nationalities, and now are refugees, and have nothing to do with their nations or how they issue visas to Americans. I'm hoping some other national has had different experience, and gives us hope.