+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Usa green card surrender

Nick_3747

Jul 31, 2019
hi i was recently stopped at a US airport while entering and further to their questions they have me accept that my marriage to us citizen was fraud and was told to sign green card surrender form. I signed it and further took a flight back to where i came from. My questions are :
1. How can file a divorce being outside usa
2. Do i need to disclose this situation while applying for any visa for any other country
3. If yes then will it affect my Trv or PR application to canada.

I would highly appreciate ur support.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. You'll have to contact divorce lawyers in the US. There are many divorce lawyers in the US, so this should be easy. Just search online for one near where you used to live.

2. Yes. This information will now come up any time an immigration official searches for your name, so even if you don't admit it, they will know. And it's worse if you don't admit it. This kind of information is shared between most developed countries (definitely all EU countries, UK/Aus/NZ/Canada, etc.)

3. Yes it will. Your chances of getting a TRV are practically zero now. PR likewise - the fact that you committed misrepresentation and attempted to fraudulently get PR status once will cast doubt on every future application in any developed country.

Nick_3747

Jul 31, 2019
I understand that my credibility have been conpromised but What if i do not disclose them about my marriage in US, how is canada going to find about my record in US that too for a TRV.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I understand that my credibility have been conpromised but What if i do not disclose them about my marriage in US, how is canada going to find about my record in US that too for a TRV.
Well, because Canada and the US share immigration information. This is not a secret.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/agreements/agreement-government-canada-government-united-states-america-sharing-visa-immigration-information.html

You can try it and find out - you'll get banned for five years, but you will know for sure.

Reactions: Nick_3747

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
And the US has similar treaties with other countries. It's not possible to hide something like this.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Your situation is complicated and it's not possible to say what you should or should not be doing based on just a few sentences about your life.

However, the divorce - you should absolutely get a divorce. If you don't, you'll be committing bigamy if you ever get married in the future. And that is a crime, with jail time, in almost every country.

In addition, while you may be inadmissible at the moment, after 5-10 years you may be able to get visas if your record is otherwise clear. You need to clean up your past, and part of that is getting a divorce.

Marital status is important for so many things - do you really want to have to either lie about it for the rest of your life, or have to explain the odd fact that you are married to someone you haven't seen in years and have no contact with?

Get the divorce. Talk to a lawyer.