Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
05-01-2013
Hi, Hoping for some help here:

-US citizen who became a permanent resident of Canada. I'm assuming they can buy a house with their spouse and have their name on the mortgage, if they sell the house and return a profit do they have to claim that money to the US gov at tax time and owe them money?

Should their house only be put in the Canadian spouse's name?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
CANUSA31 said:
Hi, Hoping for some help here:

-US citizen who became a permanent resident of Canada. I'm assuming they can buy a house with their spouse and have their name on the mortgage, if they sell the house and return a profit do they have to claim that money to the US gov at tax time and owe them money?

Should their house only be put in the Canadian spouse's name?
I haven't actually had to do any taxes yet, living here in Canada with my spouse.

I have read a TON about taxes and things of that nature though because I also need to know.

What I have read, and anyone with more/better knowledge, please correct me, but so long as you pay your taxes in Canada, there is a special tax form you use in the US, which you HAVE TO FILE FOREVER, by the way, so long as you keep your US Citizenship. Anyway, there is a special tax form that you file with the US and it shows you paid taxes on incomes and such in Canada and because they have a reciprocal agreement, you shouldn't have to pay any taxes to the US Gov't. I can't stress enough however that you HAVE TO FILE US TAXES each year, regardless if you are actually residing in the US unless you renounce your citizenship.