+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visitor w/ Job Offer

JohnAF

Nov 16, 2017
Hello!

So I've been on my US visitor's visa for over 5 months now, and I received a job offer for a marketing company in Vancouver. I have the confirmation letter that I have the job. So my questions are:

1.) Do I just go to the border with that letter and other documents to fill out a work permit to work in Canada?

2.) What other documents do I need?

3.) Do I still need to fill out (or get the company hiring me to fill out) an LMIA?

4.) The position I'm being offered (Account Executive) isn't directly related to my educational background (Graphic Design), is that a major issue?

5.) Thanks for your time!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

So I've been on my US visitor's visa for over 5 months now, and I received a job offer for a marketing company in Vancouver. I have the confirmation letter that I have the job. So my questions are:

1.) Do I just go to the border with that letter and other documents to fill out a work permit to work in Canada?

3.) Do I still need to fill out (or get the company hiring me to fill out) an LMIA?

4.) The position I'm being offered (Account Executive) isn't directly related to my educational background (Graphic Design), is that a major issue?

Hi

I'm going to assume you mean that you are an American here in Canada as a visitor. You need to see if the position qualifies under NAFTA and if it does, if you meet the experience/education requirements. If it doesn't qualify under NAFTA or if you don't meet the requirements, then the employer will need to apply for an LMIA. The LMIA costs the employer $1000 (non-refundable even if refused), has strict requirements (including proving they couldn't find a Canadian citizen/PR to do the job) and takes months to process, so most employers aren't willing to do it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

Looks like you're not American but are there on a visitor visa - correct? If so, you don't qualify under NAFTA and your employer will have to go through the LMIA process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry, I should clarify. I am a US Citizen who's been in Canada for 5 months as a visitor.
To the best of my knowledge, your job isn't on the NAFTA occupation list. So the first step is for your employer to obtain an approved LMIA.