+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visa application help for Canadian PR

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by bpts, Apr 10, 2013.

  1. Hi,

    My wife and I were completing DS-160 for US Visitor Visa. I am a Canadian citizen and she is an Indian citizen with Canadian PR for about 1.5 years. In the Citizenship/Nationality section of the app, I mentioned her as an Indian citizen (her passport is Indian).

    There is a follow up question on the app: Do you belong to any other nationality? Should I answer yes because she is Canadian PR or should I leave it blank? If blank, then it seems there is no place on the application that I can tell them that my wife is Canadian PR.

    The second thing is that I have not booked a hotel to my destination as I am traveling in June. In US destination address, can I put "Hotel TBD" or should I book a hotel first and then send the application?

    Thanks for answering my questions.
  2. Hi

    1. Blank, she maybe a PR, but she doesn't have another nationality. You take proof of her PR status when she has the interview.
    2. Either or, your choice.
    3. By the way you don't complete the DS 160 as CC you don't require a visa.
  3. PR is NOT nationality. She doesn't have any nationality other than Indian.

    I'm not too familiar with US visa forms but there must be a place (if not the main form, then a supplemental one) where she indicates her status in Canada (PR, student, worker, etc) and she would tick PR.

    I suggest you do book a hotel that you can cancel later for a free refund. Many hotels offer it. What do you have to lose?
  4. No hotel booking is necessary for same day border shopping.
  5. 1. Nationality is Indian. Where form asks for Status in Canada then put PR.
    2. I would book a refundable hotel room as suggested.
    3. Your wife should have strong ties to Canada - her marriage to you is one tie. Does she have a full time job?
  6. As everyone said, your wife is an Indian national, not a Canadian yet. But for you, you won't require a visa to travel to US as you're a Canadian Citizen.

    You should answer NO. And as far I remember, it says somewhere in the documents checklist:
    • Canada Immigration Documents showing the applicant's current legal status in Canada (permanent resident card)

    I've always showed one of my friend's address/contact info in US and a trip for a week. I never had to show air tickets or hotel booking. By the way, my friend there is doing PhD on student visa.

    NB: My wife got her 10-year US visa last year. She only had 3 months in Canada as a PR during application.

Share This Page