+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US to Canada - Spousal Sponsorship - Buffalo Resident

AnnaandJer

Dec 1, 2015
Hi There,

This forum is great and has been an absolute lifeline as we prepare all of the our paperwork to submit our application for PR status for my US Citizen Husband. We were married on November 28 and are now awaiting our marriage certificate and FBI police check to be able to submit our application but have some questions as we begin to look forward, hoping someone can help:

1) After PR Status has been granted and my husband "lands" in Canada, he intends to continue working in Buffalo (commuting daily as it is only 1 hour drive) until he find a job in Canada. We know individuals that already do this daily but this is only a temporary solution until he finds a Canadian job. He has job leads in Canada but they are waiting for him to be able to legally work in Canada before having serious conversations. It is my understanding that as long as he is crossing the border in a private car, he is able to do so but has to show his coPR until his PR Card arrives. Has anyone experienced the same situation or can clarify how this might work?

In other words, can my husband cross the US/Canada land border with this coPR documentation?

2) My husband also has two young children that will remain in Buffalo. We listed them as unaccompanying dependants on the application and understand that they must still provide medicals and such. We have no issues with the mother of the children as she understands that it is our plans to move to Canada and pick-up the children every other weekend for a visit. Drive to Buffalo, pick them up and drive back to St. Catharines for the weekend and back to Buffalo on Sunday Night. Is there any type of paperwork that would make this process easier? Currently we travel with a letter from the mother and their birth certificates. But in the future, the commute will be a frequent, regular process.

Thanks so much.

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1)
your husband can cross the border by car without his PR card and even without his CoPR. If he doesn't have any documents then they will just take him in and check his birth date and name alongwith driver's license etc- to confirm his PR status. The only hassle is that he has to go in for secondary inspection, they "may" not let him in at the drivethrough checkpoint.

BUT

Since your husband is a US citizen, he is eligible to enter without a PR too, so "maybe" they can let him in at the drivethrough checkpoint and not take him in for secondary inspection. This is my guess, you can try once and you'll know exactly what the rule is, but yes there is 100% no problem crossing over, even if you have no documents with you.

With CoPR, he may be able to cross at the drivethrough.

Apply for nexus if he plans to cross border daily.

2)
if children are minor then i have heard that a letter from the other parent is required. my wife has crossed border with our child but she has never been asked for any letter though.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Strongly suggest you both get your NEXUS cards. Makes crossing by car via the Nexus lane generally . . . a breeze.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Nexus doesn't solve all problems, so don't bank on it solving anything.
If anything, it can complicate things, *but* will give you access to other lanes which are often faster.
I have a Nexus card, it doesn't give you any more right to entry, but it *can* expedite your time waiting in line, sometimes.

Anyway, as someone with personal experience in this matter I suggest that your husband will likely want to stay working in Buffalo since with recent leadership changes I would expect the Canadian dollar to go from almost, to completely worthless. Getting an American paycheck will be very handy especially since he has family there. Just something to keep in mind.

Second, he will get a visitor record. When he crosses and intends to move in with you he can say he is traveling with dual intent, meaning that he wants to be in Canada as a visitor AND apply for PR.
He'll get a visitor record within minutes, only do this when he actually intends to move.
To add weight to this, if the sponsorship fees are already paid, just show a receipt. All Canada customs ever cares about is if fees/taxes are paid. So if you want a safety net, just do that.

Third, he's an American crossing into Canada. They simply don't care. There's almost zero chance he'll ever be turned around unless they suspect he's working in Canada (bring a pay stub with him from his American company just in case) or doing something truly nefarious like importing a car seat.

The first few times I crossed with my American wife they actually told me not to bother with the Visitor record just yet, just wait till she starts importing her personal effects. I'd be surprised if they didn't just waive him through every day without even a question.

He's a citizen of a 1st world, Visa exempt, country that shares the largest unprotected border with Canada. You won't have any issues other than insane wait times for processing.