+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US tax question

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
Just wondering if any of the Canadian-US couples on here could advise how the American filed their taxes in the US? Married? Single? Married filing separately? My husband lives in the US (just got his COPR) and I live in Canada, I have never lived in the US. Thank you so much!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
MNM2015 said:
Just wondering if any of the Canadian-US couples on here could advise how the American filed their taxes in the US? Married? Single? Married filing separately? My husband lives in the US (just got his COPR) and I live in Canada, I have never lived in the US. Thank you so much!
Did you do anything to make yourself a US tax resident during the year? Spend enough time in the US, etc.? Cross border taxation issues are complicated. You might want to seek professional advice.

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I know it's really complicated and likely depends in the circumstances. Just trying to figure out what others have done. In my case I spent less than a month in the USA, have never lived or worked there and don't have a SSN so can't imagine I'd be considered a resident for tax purposes.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

links18 said:
Did you do anything to make yourself a US tax resident during the year? Spend enough time in the US, etc.? Cross border taxation issues are complicated. You might want to seek professional advice.
1. Immaterial, all US citizens and Green Card holders residing outside the US have to file an income tax return. http://tinyurl.com/z2kkwhu