+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US SSN Credit and SIN Canada Credit

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Reposting here

I am sure this might be asked before.

Me and my wife worked in US for around 9 yrs (not exactly total 40 credits) and moved to Canada in Sep 2018 (working full time here).

My questions

1) What happens to my US SSN credits? Does it get incorporated in total credit in canada SIN?
2) Since we did not exactly worked for whole 40 credits in US, are we eligible for any kind of US social benefit money during our retirement?
3) We are planning to stay in canada for total of 40 credit, so will we get income from both canada and US?
4) If we are canadian citizen (and not US citizen), do we need to necessarily stay in one of these 2 countries to get retirement social benefits?

TIA

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Reposting here

I am sure this might be asked before.

Me and my wife worked in US for around 9 yrs (not exactly total 40 credits) and moved to Canada in Sep 2018 (working full time here).

My questions

1) What happens to my US SSN credits? Does it get incorporated in total credit in canada SIN?
2) Since we did not exactly worked for whole 40 credits in US, are we eligible for any kind of US social benefit money during our retirement?
3) We are planning to stay in canada for total of 40 credit, so will we get income from both canada and US?
4) If we are canadian citizen (and not US citizen), do we need to necessarily stay in one of these 2 countries to get retirement social benefits?

TIA

I am in the exact same situation as you are. The unfortunate answer is, you get no credit at all. There is one situation in which you do: it is if somehow, at the end of your life, you've failed to accumulate 10 years for vesting. If that is the case, then your time worked in Canada could be applied to the US, or vice versa; but it wouldn't go towards any benefits, just qualifying.

If you do manage to qualify for SS in the US, and Canadian benefits as well, then one of the countries will claw them back; they've agreed that no one gets two pensions.

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
I am in the exact same situation as you are. The unfortunate answer is, you get no credit at all. There is one situation in which you do: it is if somehow, at the end of your life, you've failed to accumulate 10 years for vesting. If that is the case, then your time worked in Canada could be applied to the US, or vice versa; but it wouldn't go towards any benefits, just qualifying.

If you do manage to qualify for SS in the US, and Canadian benefits as well, then one of the countries will claw them back; they've agreed that no one gets two pensions.
Thanks for your reply. So if I understand it correct, If I have worked 9 yrs in US, and spend another 1-2 yrs working in Canada (plus obtain Canadian citizenship), I have already earned enough credit to get social credit in Canada? or do I need to spend atleast 10 yrs in Canada for any Canadian pension benefits?

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
So i called Canada CPP/OAS office. So CPP is pretty straightforward. Whatever we contribute, it gets calculated based on what we give in.
OAS can be calculated on the credits from US, if it comes to that stage (may be when we are less than 10 yrs in canada)