+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Spouse has questions!

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, last time I posted here was 4 years ago asking about the conjugal partner sponsorship! LOL! We got hitched since then and will be celebrating our 3rd anniversary this winter!

To the questions I guess...

1. Do we submit the sponsorship application first, or get the background check done and submitted first (and not with the rest of the application)? Does anyone have a step-by-step guide handy, or a timeline, or something telling me what needs to be submitted in which order? The new CIC site is confusing. :\ (We had always been under the impression that we just put everything in one envelope and sent it out, but he stopped by his MP's office once a while back and was given the impression that there were things that had to be sent in and approved before the next part could be sent in.)

2. If we want to apply inland, I know there's a "no work" requirement for the sponsored partner. Is that ALL work (am I not allowed to claim any income at all??), or would I still be able to take on freelance/contract jobs from clients in the states, bankroll it there, and pay US taxes on it, etc? Or do I have to get a permit for that? Or..??

3. Do I get immunity from the 6-month visitor limit if we are being processed by CIC? Can I leave the country at all while being processed?

Thanks in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SnL said:
Wow, last time I posted here was 4 years ago asking about the conjugal partner sponsorship! LOL! We got hitched since then and will be celebrating our 3rd anniversary this winter!

To the questions I guess...

1. Do we submit the sponsorship application first, or get the background check done and submitted first (and not with the rest of the application)? Does anyone have a step-by-step guide handy, or a timeline, or something telling me what needs to be submitted in which order? The new CIC site is confusing. :\ (We had always been under the impression that we just put everything in one envelope and sent it out, but he stopped by his MP's office once a while back and was given the impression that there were things that had to be sent in and approved before the next part could be sent in.)

2. If we want to apply inland, I know there's a "no work" requirement for the sponsored partner. Is that ALL work (am I not allowed to claim any income at all??), or would I still be able to take on freelance/contract jobs from clients in the states, bankroll it there, and pay US taxes on it, etc? Or do I have to get a permit for that? Or..??

3. Do I get immunity from the 6-month visitor limit if we are being processed by CIC? Can I leave the country at all while being processed?

Thanks in advance!
1. Application and sponsorship together, with all supporting documents and proof of medical exam and police certificates. Read the Checklists: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
2. You should apply as "outside Canada" you can do it while residing in Canada, much faster. Yes you can work for US clients, no Canadian clients.
3. You apply for an extension of your status as a visitor: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

rachel85704

Jan 7, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th, 2012
Med's Done....
November, 2013
1: I submitted all but the medical with my application and from what I understand, that's the way that it's typically done.

2: The work requirement is for work within Canada, work that you would need a permit to do... I could be wrong but I would assume that if you're not earning money from employment with a Canadian company, then it wouldn't apply and that you could continue to work for your U.S. based company from Canada.... Someone else may have more information on this and might be able to better answer your question.

3: Yes, you get "implied status", which means that you get to stay in Canada while your application processes.... I left Canada while mine was processing to visit family in the U.S. and didn't have an issue. I went the extra step of getting a visitor extension, though, so that I actually had paperwork SAYING that I was allowed to be in Canada in addition to proof that I had an ongoing application, my marriage certificate, etc.

Anything else? :)

rachel85704

Jan 7, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th, 2012
Med's Done....
November, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. Application and sponsorship together, with all supporting documents and proof of medical exam and police certificates. Read the Checklists: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
2. You should apply as "outside Canada" you can do it while residing in Canada, much faster. Yes you can work for US clients, no Canadian clients.
3. You apply for an extension of your status as a visitor: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp
Wouldn't he have to leave Canada once his application finishes processing for his "Landing" if he applies "Outside Canada"? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it also easier to stay in Canada while your application processes if you apply from "Inside"?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
rachel85704 said:
Wouldn't he have to leave Canada once his application finishes processing for his "Landing" if he applies "Outside Canada"? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it also easier to stay in Canada while your application processes if you apply from "Inside"?
applicants can do what's called flagpoling, which esssentially means driving to the us border and turning around to land as a pr. it is common practice at the border.

no, for us citizens it is BEST to apply OUTLAND. It is not suggested AT ALL for an US applicant to apply "inland" as there is NO benefit. A US outland applicant can be IN canada as a visitor while the application is sent in and processing. A visitor can apply for an extension to stay beyond the allowed 6 mo. stay.

As for the previous poster, OUTLAND applicants do NOT have implied status. Implied status is for inland applicants. Outland applicants must maintain legal status while in canada. US applicants CAN work for US clients/employers while in Canada as a visitor.

To the original poster... APPLY OUTLAND! There is absolutely no reason AT ALL to apply inland. You will be able to be in canada while processing is done, and work remotely for your us clients/employer. Both the sponsor and applicant applications are sent TOGETHER in the same package to the processing center in mississauga. FBI and Medicals can be completed after sponsorship approval. There are applicants who have done this and have not seen any delay in processing.

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rachel85704 said:
Anything else? :)
Is there any other benefit from going inland vs outland other than timeframe? (because honestly I might appreciate it being slow LOL I'm a slow person...)

Also, how would either application work with me driving a big truck of my stuff up there?

You guys rock! :D

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
SnL said:
Is there any other benefit from going inland vs outland other than timeframe? (because honestly I might appreciate it being slow LOL I'm a slow person...)

Also, how would either application work with me driving a big truck of my stuff up there?

You guys rock! :D
what else is there? to be able to work legally, travel freely without worry of consequence, get approved for health care, and live life with your spouse. Applying inland, your life will be in limbo a lot longer than necessary. if you apply inland, you will more likely than not regret it down the road. seems to be the common theme for visa exempt applicants who apply inland.

It is NOT recommended to travel to canada with a truck full of personal belongings when you can only enter as a visitor. A) you will most likely be turned away at the border, be red flagged, and/ or given a shortened timeframe for your visit, and B) when you wait to to move your belongings when landing, you will not have to pay taxes on your items. Remember, you are a VISITOR while waiting for your application to process. Visitors typically do not travel with all of their worldly possessions. If you don't have a residence in the states, put your stuff in storage and wait for approval before moving everything up to canada. it will save you a heck of a lot of trouble.

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
what else is there? to be able to work legally, travel freely without worry of consequence, get approved for health care, and live life with your spouse. Applying inland, your life will be in limbo a lot longer than necessary. if you apply inland, you will more likely than not regret it down the road. seems to be the common theme for visa exempt applicants who apply inland.

It is NOT recommended to travel to canada with a truck full of personal belongings when you can only enter as a visitor. A) you will most likely be turned away at the border, be red flagged, and/ or given a shortened timeframe for your visit, and B) when you wait to to move your belongings when landing, you will not have to pay taxes on your items. Remember, you are a VISITOR while waiting for your application to process. Visitors typically do not travel with all of their worldly possessions. If you don't have a residence in the states, put your stuff in storage and wait for approval before moving everything up to canada. it will save you a heck of a lot of trouble.
Gotcha. I totally forgot about the whole healthcare thing! Hurrdurr, silly American just assumes that going without healthcare is just business as usual.

Thanks again SO MUCH

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I HAVE A FEW MORE QUESTIONS

1. What does the background check request letter have to look like again? Or is it a form? I forget, it's been a while since I looked at it last.

2. No livescan allowed, just ink??

3. I can't see form IMM0008 at all, even though I just updated the PDF reader. Anyone else having this problem?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
1. Check out this link for details of the background check letter from the FBI
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp
Note that the posted timeline on the CIC page is waaaaaaaaaay too long. The real timeline is more like 4-6 weeks

2. You cannot use an FBI channeler and have then electronically submit your prints, if that is what you are asking. You must get your prints down on a standard fingerprint card (I think it is FD-258) and mail it to the FBI.

3. try using a different browser. Some of the CIC pdf forms are not compatible with the integrated PDF viewers built into some web browsers (like firefox). You can also download the PDF to your computer first and then open it form there.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
here's where you can order an fbi check. there is a notification on the top of the page that they are integrating a new system, so it is currently taking 12 WEEKS for processing! this is the first time i've seen it be that long. if that is the case, it may be best to send in the application first, then forward the fbi record when it's available.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
You can't bring a truckload of stuff up here but you can put some of it in storage or with friend/family, bring an amount appropriate for an extended stay (clothes and whatnot is fine, but no furniture or appliances). You could also have your friends/family send you a few boxes of stuff you really need. Of course, you may have to pay custom duties on that stuff, but that depends on its declared value and what it is. I had my mother send me boxes of clothes, books, kitchenware and dinnerware that way.

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
1. Check out this link for details of the background check letter from the FBI

Note that the posted timeline on the CIC page is waaaaaaaaaay too long. The real timeline is more like 4-6 weeks

2. You cannot use an FBI channeler and have then electronically submit your prints, if that is what you are asking. You must get your prints down on a standard fingerprint card (I think it is FD-258) and mail it to the FBI.

3. try using a different browser. Some of the CIC pdf forms are not compatible with the integrated PDF viewers built into some web browsers (like firefox). You can also download the PDF to your computer first and then open it form there.
Ok yeah, Chrome wasn't displaying it. Thanks!

rhcohen2014 said:
here's where you can order an fbi check. there is a notification on the top of the page that they are integrating a new system, so it is currently taking 12 WEEKS for processing! this is the first time i've seen it be that long. if that is the case, it may be best to send in the application first, then forward the fbi record when it's available.
Holy cannoli. o_o
Yeah, that might be a good plan... thanks for the tip! :x

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It is ideal to send in a complete application from the start. Those applications get the best timelines. Having to send in additional documentation afterwards, especially if it is something that has to be sent via snail mail adds a bit of risk. It could completely be fine but there is a small risk of additional delay.