20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Decoy24601 said:
Just letting everyone know, it looks like the CIC is accepting FBI background checks by 3rd party channelers again: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

This really irritates me because it took 18 weeks for my FBI background check to be processed and I didn't get it until 20 weeks.
I just checked and it says "Please note that FBI-approved channeler service is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents."

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
nevillek said:
I just checked and it says "Please note that FBI-approved channeler service is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents."
Yes, that's true, but up until then 3rd party channeler reports were not allowed at all, which is why I posted that link.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Decoy24601 said:
Yes, that's true, but up until then 3rd party channeler reports were not allowed at all, which is why I posted that link.
But you said they started allowing them again.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
nevillek said:
But you said they started allowing them again.
Yes, they did, for U.S. citizens and PRs. As I said before, that wasn't even allowed before. Even when they did allow them in the first place before they stopped it for about a year, it was like this. That rule is set in place by the FBI/channelers https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/fbi-approved-channelers not the CIC.

From the above link:
"An FBI-approved Channeler may only process requests for a U.S. person (an individual who is a citizen of the U.S. or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.). A lawful permanent resident is any person not a citizen of the U.S. who is residing in the U.S. under legally recognized and lawfully recorded permanent residence as an immigrant (also known “Permanent Resident Alien,” “Resident Alien Permit Holder,” and “Green Card Holder”). "

Let me be clear. Originally, 3rd party channeler reports were available for US citizens/PRs. Then the CIC decided to stop accepting them. Once again, just a month or so ago the CIC is allowing them.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Oh okay. I thought they were allowing channels for non-US persons for a short time last year and started it again. But I see it was always for US persons only. Makes sense now!

I'm assuming you're from the US. Do you have any idea if the process is any faster if I travel to the US from Canada and apply from within the States?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
nevillek said:
Oh okay. I thought they were allowing channels for non-US persons for a short time last year and started it again. But I see it was always for US persons only. Makes sense now!

I'm assuming you're from the US. Do you have any idea if the process is any faster if I travel to the US from Canada and apply from within the States?
As far as I know, processing times for FBI background checks aren't based on whether or not a person is in the U.S., so if you were to submit it from within the states the only benefit you would get is faster mailing times. I did submit my background check from within the U.S., but my application actually took longer than their listed processing times to the point where I had assumed it was lost and had to call them. By the time it was issued I was in Canada and it was mailed to me within a week.

Also, here's a breakdown of how they process the background checks (I was told this when I called):
1: They don't open the mail/application until they are ready to process the background check. This means that your application will sit untouched for the 12~ weeks until someone gets around to processing it.
2: They run whatever form of payment you include.
3: They check your prints.
4: If the prints are legible, they will run the check.
5: They send the background check to the mailroom.
6: The background check gets mailed.

Steps 2-5 all normally happen within a few days. Almost all of the processing time is the request sitting in a pile waiting to be opened. It can take a couple days of sitting in the mailroom to be mailed.

You're also free to call them at any time after you file the request to ask what date's mail they are opening and if yours has been opened yet. I found that the person at that call center was very helpful and gave me all that information, plus the specific day my card was charged, what date the report was run, what day it was sent to the mailroom, and what day she estimated it to be mailed (it was over a weekend).

You're allowed to submit the PR application without a FBI background check, as long as you include a letter explaining the long processing times and that you will send it when you get it. The CIC is very aware of the backlog at the FBI.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
True, that's what I will be doing. If you don't mind, I have one last question. Since you seem to be travelling to/from U.S./Canada like me, I think you'd know this.

I'm expecting to get an ITA in today's draw (481 points) but won't be submitting my e-APR until around the 60th day deadline mark so I have more time to get the FBI PCC. At that time, I'll submit my application with the letter of explanation, and hopefully I'd have the PCC soon after that. I'll apply for the FBI PCC by tomorrow.

However, I have to visit my father in the US next month for 6-8 weeks. Will this cause any problems with regards to the PCC? I read somewhere that FBI PCC should be obtained after your last visit to the U.S. but I obviously cannot wait until August/September when I return from the US to apply for the FBI PCC because I need to submit the e-APR to CIC in the next 60 days showing the receipt of the FBI PCC request.

Basically, I'm worried that they would deem the PCC invalid if I have travelled to the US AFTER the PCC was issued?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
nevillek said:
True, that's what I will be doing. If you don't mind, I have one last question. Since you seem to be travelling to/from U.S./Canada like me, I think you'd know this.

I'm expecting to get an ITA in today's draw (481 points) but won't be submitting my e-APR until around the 60th day deadline mark so I have more time to get the FBI PCC. I'll apply for the FBI PCC by tomorrow.

However, I have to visit my father in the US next month for 6-8 weeks. Will this cause any problems with regards to the PCC? I read somewhere that FBI PCC should be obtained after your last visit to the U.S. but I obviously cannot wait until August/September when I return from the US to apply for the FBI PCC because I need to submit the e-APR to CIC in the next 60 days showing the receipt of the FBI PCC request.
You'll most likely be fine even if you apply for it at the beginning of that trip, but I'd suggest waiting as long as possible. It depends on what day they actually run your prints. Based on the current processing times, they shouldn't even get to your request until at least a couple weeks after you leave the U.S. However, if they end up running your check early (which is unlikely, they're very consistent unlike the CIC), it could possible cause issues. Basically, you're fine as long as you time it right and they run your prints/issue the report by the time you have returned to your home country after the trip.

I personally haven't heard of anyone who has had this issue just because I haven't seen anyone on here with it, but I know it is possible that if you do end up visiting the U.S. after the report is issued and before the CIC receives it that you could have issues.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Decoy24601 said:
You'll most likely be fine even if you apply for it at the beginning of that trip, but I'd suggest waiting as long as possible.
I could wait until next month to apply for it, but what if I don't receive it within the 60 days timeframe CIC would give me to upload the PCC?

For example:

File PCC application: July 15
File e-APR: August 15 (towards the 55-60 day deadline considering I receive the ITA today)
CIC request for PCC to be uploaded within next 60 days: September 15 (do they request for PCC so fast though?)

So I'll have to upload my PCC before ~November 15, which is 4 months from the time of the PCC application. Isn't that too close?

All this is assuming CIC requests for the PCC 30 days after submitting the e-APR.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
nevillek said:
I could wait until next month to apply for it, but what if I don't receive it within the 60 days timeframe CIC would give me to upload the PCC?

For example:

File PCC application: July 15
File e-APR: August 15 (towards the 55-60 day deadline considering I receive the ITA today)
CIC request for PCC to be uploaded within next 60 days: September 15 (do they request for PCC so fast though?)

So I'll have to upload my PCC before ~November 15, which is 4 months from the time of the PCC application. Isn't that too close?

All this is assuming CIC requests for the PCC 30 days after submitting the e-APR.
If they ask for the PCC and you don't have it yet, you can ask them for an extension and explain your situation. Sometimes they honor the requests well and sometimes they don't, but normally they're very lenient with FBI requests and do give people more time. Also, if this is the case, don't wait to request an extension at all, even if you think there's a small chance that you could receive it within the time they give you. It's a little iffy, but the only times I have ever seen someone have major issues submitting an FBI request is when someone submitted their application without the PCC and a letter of explanation and had their application returned. I think it's likely that if you need more time then they will give it to you.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Okay, so I guess I'll apply for these two according to the above timeline and not right now, even if I get the ITA today.

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
tiffaany said:
Sent the request form from Vancouver on March 28
Charged my credit card today on Jun 20.
What date did the FBI receive the forms? That is the important date. Let's assume they got it around April 1st, charged your card June 20th.. and mail it in a couple days, that's around 12 weeks. So that's in the 12-14 timeline they currently state. Add 10-14 days for it to travel to Vancouver.

tiffaany

Mar 29, 2016
sawadee-eh said:
What date did the FBI receive the forms? That is the important date. Let's assume they got it around April 1st, charged your card June 20th.. and mail it in a couple days, that's around 12 weeks. So that's in the 12-14 timeline they currently state. Add 10-14 days for it to travel to Vancouver.
I used regular mail so I didnt have a tracking no. to trace the date they received it. it takes about 4-5 days from what canada post stated. so yes, it's within 12 weeks.

Katerina07

Feb 14, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-04-2015
AOR Received.
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
HI GUYS!

Inland applicant here.
I received a letter requesting US police clearance. In that letter it says I must submit it withing 60 days of receiving it!
But reading this forum and processing timelines, it is said that it can take waaay longer than that. What should I do about it?
Any advice? :eek: