+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Police Clearance: FBI Processing Times

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stephygold7 said:
I seems like I cannot upload my FBI Background check now and only if they ask for it.
We cannot submit any new documents unless asked to do so by the officer. When they request something to be updated, they open a portal and allow access to change/update. If they have not requested this, then we cannot submit the changes.
So I guess I have to just wait and see if they ask for it.
I wasn't even aware that an FBI IHSR letter could be uploaded, because CIC wants/needs the original letter. The only way that you could upload the letter, would be to scan it and attach the image file to your upload, at which point it is no longer the original and may even have VOID showing up on it as a security watermark.

Hopefully, they will allow you to upload it.

Good luck!

stephygold7

May 11, 2015
Ponga said:
I wasn't even aware that an FBI IHSR letter could be uploaded, because CIC wants/needs the original letter. The only way that you could upload the letter, would be to scan it and attach the image file to your upload, at which point it is no longer the original and may even have VOID showing up on it as a security watermark.

Hopefully, they will allow you to upload it.

Good luck!
The whole express entry is now uploaded through a portal to my knowledge, I have been going through a lawyer. Are you currently going through the new express entry process?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stephygold7 said:
The whole express entry is now uploaded through a portal to my knowledge, I have been going through a lawyer. Are you currently going through the new express entry process?
No. You might want to ask your question in that forum, since this one is dedicated to those being sponsored under the Family Class.

Perhaps the `rules' for this are different for you...which is certainly possible. LOL!

MMRAN

Jul 9, 2015
It is so frustrating today!!!

I sent my first fingerprints card last Dec. but received FBI's letter this Mar showing the quality is too low, i have to do them again. So i went to a professional agency to get my fingerprints done there and sent out my card at the beginning of Apr.. Today i got the 'low quality' letter again!!! I don't know what to do now. 7 month already past, i got nothing!

I don't think my fingerprints can meet their quality... Is there anyway i can do electronic fingerprints? Anyone has ideas?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MMRAN said:
It is so frustrating today!!!

I sent my first fingerprints card last Dec. but received FBI's letter this Mar showing the quality is too low, i have to do them again. So i went to a professional agency to get my fingerprints done there and sent out my card at the beginning of Apr.. Today i got the 'low quality' letter again!!! I don't know what to do now. 7 month already past, i got nothing!

I don't think my fingerprints can meet their quality... Is there anyway i can do electronic fingerprints? Anyone has ideas?
Some places will capture your fingerprints electronically (scanned) and then print them onto the FBI FD-258 card.

You can not send your prints electronically across an international border (FBI rule), so they have to be printed onto the card and mailed.

Good luck this time!

MMRAN

Jul 9, 2015
Ponga said:
Some places will capture your fingerprints electronically (scanned) and then print them onto the FBI FD-258 card.

You can not send your prints electronically across an international border (FBI rule), so they have to be printed onto the card and mailed.

Good luck this time!
I called almost all places in Calgary, they are not sure they can print scanned fingerprints onto the card....
you said some places in which city? I'm wondering if i need to go to Vancouver to do it....

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
My request was mailed out April 6, card charged June 17, certificate arrived July 3.

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
nmclean said:
My request was mailed out April 6, card charged June 17, certificate arrived July 3.
Whaaaaat! Congrats! What's the number everyone's calling for updates?

sidyahoo

Dec 24, 2014
i've sent the fingerprint card will all flat prints rather than rolling them, will this be a problem. Also wht does "ORI" mean in the fingerprint card, is it necessary as i've left it blank as well...

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
Thank you ptj!

YAM123

Jul 13, 2015
Long story short, my wife got a letter notifying her that she required an original FBI clearance, as she had previously sent one from an approved channeler. She sent for FBI fingerprints etc in May and has yet to be charged by the FBI for the request on her credit card. Subsequent to this she was back in the USA and re-did the channeler report while she was there, thinking that an updated version would suffice, as online forums have not indicated that the paper received from a channeler is any different that an FBI original.

Has anyone had an issue submitting the channeler report on original FBI secure paper to the CIC (perhaps without a letter or additional documents from the channeler) and been OK?
What documents arrive from the FBI that are not the same as with a channeler?

We are tempted to send in the original document from the channeler and 'pose' it as FBI original document (which for all intensive purposes, it is !).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YAM123 said:
Has anyone had an issue submitting the channeler report on original FBI secure paper to the CIC (perhaps without a letter or additional documents from the channeler) and been OK?
It truly is mind boggling why CIC only allowed Channeler reports for ~ 7 weeks earlier this year. If the approved channeler is `good enough' for the FBI, why on earth are they not good enough for CIC?!

The potential problem, is that the actual FBI letters are no longer issued on blue security paper, but at least one of the approved channelers still issues them on blue security paper. According the the FBI website, they are now issued (and have been for months) on standard white paper. If CIC receives a blue paper, they probably know right away that it's not an original FBI issues report.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
YAM123 said:
How did they know it was from a channeler the first time? All I can tell you is, the paper I got from my channeler was the same damn thing we got 3 other times from the FBI, unless I am blind and missing some secret watermark. WTF is wrong with CIC, this is the dumbest rule yet. the FBI says it's ok but Canada is too dumb to realise that it's the same database that this info is coming from?

I sent my channeler paper with my app in March, the paper had no indications that it came from a channeler and my husband got PR with no questions asked, so maybe that helps you. Its just a paper that say something like "no records found". I don't recall the colours of the papers, if they changed the look of it recently that I don't know.

If we didn't use a channeler we'd still be waiting to send in the application!

Edit:I just read YAM123's explanation about the colour of the paper. I think the paper I got from my channeler was white, so I suggest this: Ask the channeler what colour the paper is. Problem solved! I'm sure you can narrow down which one(s) are using the current FBI colour choice.

YAM123

Jul 13, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

The paper is a secure page and you can see 'void' in the paper. It is not distinctly blue, much closer to white, but not as white as a regular 8.5x11 printer paper.
I don't recall if her first submission was a blue page or not...

Aquakitty, did you submit only the clearance paper itself, or did you also submit any letters etc that came with it from the channeler?