+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US plated vehicle in Canada - Financial liability for New PR?

jackie42

Mar 29, 2023
Hello,

Does anyone know if accepting PR inland, BEFORE declaring personal goods on "landing", change your financial liability (GST/HST + Duty + other penalties)?

My expectation was to buy out a lease near term-end, which would align with the published application timelines. Then drive to the border, export it on the US side/ Import on the Canada side with a declaration of personal goods bringing into Canada as a newly landed Immigrant. This would avoid significant taxes and duty, or so is my understanding.

Good problem to have, but PR approval has come much earlier than expected. Since the car is in Canada right now and technically, I do not own it. How does confirming PR increase penalty and financial liability? It will take me 4-6 weeks to purchase and get the title required for export/import.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

jackie42

Mar 29, 2023
I called CBSA per your recommendation. I do need to tread carefully here, not just for tax exemption, but for legal reasons. Agent actually told me as PR, it's illegal to even be driving this US plated car without having import process started.