+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Overstay vs Express Entry

Lionel17

Apr 26, 2020
Hey folks, how's everybody doing?
I am so glad that I came across with this site that I have been reading a lot of forums regarding Express Entry.
I want to immigrate to Canada and I have couple of questions. I need your answers and guidelines..
My profile:
- 29 years old, have a wife and a son
- Bachelors in Economics degree
- IELTS Academic 8.0 overall (L8.5, R9, W7, S7.5)
- Visited the US 3 times on J1 visa, and the last time with B1/B2 visa and overstayed for three years
- came back home from the US

My questions:
1. Does my overstay in the US have a negative effect in immigrating to Canada (through Express Entry or Study Permit)
2. I have applied to Masters Program in Dalhousie University, so can I take my family as well in case accepted?

Thank you everyone! Wish you all the best!!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
1. Does my overstay in the US have a negative effect in immigrating to Canada (through Express Entry or Study Permit)
It may not impact express entry but my guess is it will definitely impact student visa application as student visa is non-immigrant visa

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey folks, how's everybody doing?
I am so glad that I came across with this site that I have been reading a lot of forums regarding Express Entry.
I want to immigrate to Canada and I have couple of questions. I need your answers and guidelines..
My profile:
- 29 years old, have a wife and a son
- Bachelors in Economics degree
- IELTS Academic 8.0 overall (L8.5, R9, W7, S7.5)
- Visited the US 3 times on J1 visa, and the last time with B1/B2 visa and overstayed for three years
- came back home from the US

My questions:
2. I have applied to Masters Program in Dalhousie University, so can I take my family as well in case accepted?

Thank you everyone! Wish you all the best!!
No impact on Express Entry provided you declare the overstay.

Could certainly be an impact on the study permit depending on how long ago the overstay was (three years is a very long overstay). To be approved for a study permit, you must demonstrate you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. An overstay in another country demonstrates an abuse of the visa privilege and may make IRCC concerned about granting you a study permit to Canada.